F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchable Active Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 02:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Foosh
Thanks for the report. How was active exhaust activated before you pulled the fuse? I was told by someone earlier in this thread that if you had active exhaust, you also had the center console switch.

Sounds like to me a car can be equipped with active exhaust, but the switch is an option. Otherwise, why would one have to pull a fuse?
I don't have the active exhaust switch - before pulling off the f43 fuse, the exhaust will open up when you push "hard" on the gas pedal, I think the "computer" decides when to open the exhaust, after the fuse removal, the exhaust is open when you step on the gas pedal, but surprising even at the loudest sound, it is still manageable.

So I recommend everyone having the active exhaust should remove the f43 fuse. It is located at the passenger side floor, the manual says it is a 10A but mine is 15A.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by hog4oc
I don't have the active exhaust switch - before pulling off the f43 fuse, the exhaust will open up when you push "hard" on the gas pedal, I think the "computer" decides when to open the exhaust, after the fuse removal, the exhaust is open when you step on the gas pedal, but surprising even at the loudest sound, it is still manageable.

So I recommend everyone having the active exhaust should remove the f43 fuse. It is located at the passenger side floor, the manual says it is a 10A but mine is 15A.
Hi, I am new to the forum, just got my f-type v8s. I don't have the switch so I was also planning to remove the fuse. You said the manual says 10A but yours was 15A. How did you know that it is 15A? How do you identify exactly which one? Thanks

Old 10-18-2014, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Fuses are stamped and colour-coded with their rating.

Most automotive fuse panels have numbered fuse holders, plus the owners manual on most cars labels which fuse holder is which.

As to how someone worked out this was the fuse to pull, I'm guessing they read the owners manual then tried pulling fuses until they got the desired effect.

Last edited by F-typical; 10-18-2014 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-20-2014, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by F-typical
Fuses are stamped and colour-coded with their rating.

Most automotive fuse panels have numbered fuse holders, plus the owners manual on most cars labels which fuse holder is which.

As to how someone worked out this was the fuse to pull, I'm guessing they read the owners manual then tried pulling fuses until they got the desired effect.
Thank you for the info F-Typical! Just one more question, after pulling the fuse can it be put back in simply if at some point i decide its enough or does it need to be reprogrammed or something like that?

Old 10-20-2014, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Yes, you can simply reinstall the fuse to restore normal operation. By pulling the fuse, you're simply removing power from the circuit that closes the valve, leaving it open all the time.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:59 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Perhaps my layout is different but my manual says that Fuse F3 in the engine compartment, rated at 5A is the "active exhaust solenoid". Now a solenoid is not the same thing as a fuse and I chose not to have the active exhaust - thought I was too old be a hoon (I was wrong), and the car is louder in dynamic mode, and really quite loud enough for someone my age (my neighbours do know when I leave for work), but I really don't know whether I do actually have active exhaust in Dynamic mode anyway, just not have the switch (which would have been $750) and I am not brave enough to pull a solenoid out, especially as I have no way of knowing which is position F3. So I'm still as confused as I ever was. Sorry I don't think this helps the discussion much.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Okay. There may be market-specific differences, but the UK V6S comes with the exhaust as standard and the switch as an option. The price you quote suggests that this is what you have too, but to be sure, you'll need to look just in front of the exhaust back box to see if you have the valves or not.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:51 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I would assume the solenoid is what's moving the bypass in the exhaust, and the 5A fuse is what's protecting the solenoid.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical
Okay. There may be market-specific differences, but the UK V6S comes with the exhaust as standard and the switch as an option. The price you quote suggests that this is what you have too, but to be sure, you'll need to look just in front of the exhaust back box to see if you have the valves or not.
Thanks for the help. I have been under the car but am just ignorant of what I am looking for. Looks like a bunch of pipes to me! Can you post a photo?

Old 10-26-2014, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pembroke
Thanks for the help. I have been under the car but am just ignorant of what I am looking for. Looks like a bunch of pipes to me! Can you post a photo?
Neither F-Typical, nor I have active exhaust on our base cars, so I can't snap a shot for you. However, what you're looking for on the muffler box is a little canister on each side with a rod attached, which opens and closes valves on each side. That will tell you you have active exhaust.

Both U.S. and U.K. cars come with active exhaust standard on all S and R models. However, the switch that allows you to manually open and close the valves is optional on some, depending upon which option packages were ordered. My guess is you have it, but just don't have the manual control switch.

I do recall seeing a picture of the valves on the this website somewhere, but don't have time for a search right now.

The following users liked this post:
pembroke (10-28-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
Neither F-Typical, nor I have active exhaust on our base cars, so I can't snap a shot for you. However, what you're looking for on the muffler box is a little canister on each side with a rod attached, which opens and closes valves on each side. That will tell you you have active exhaust.

Both U.S. and U.K. cars come with active exhaust standard on all S and R models. However, the switch that allows you to manually open and close the valves is optional on some, depending upon which option packages were ordered. My guess is you have it, but just don't have the manual control switch.

I do recall seeing a picture of the valves on the this website somewhere, but don't have time for a search right now.
Thanks for the information! Is this what you are describing?

Attached Thumbnails Switchable Active Exhaust-image.jpg  
Old 10-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, that's it.

The following users liked this post:
pembroke (10-28-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 01:48 PM

So the next question is.. What does the switch do? There has been some discussion that it turns the active exhaust off, but the manual seems to read that it turns active exhaust on. That would mean in normal driving mode as it will turn on in Dynamic mode on its own, and nowhere reads that you can turn it off in dynamic mode.

I'm Pleased I can be a hoon just by throwing a switch. This car is such fun!

Old 10-28-2014, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

The switch opens and closes the valves any time it is pressed regardless of operating mode and whether the car is at idle or WOT. Opened valves means active exhaust "on."

If you don't have the switch, but have active exhaust, the valves will automatically open when you're in Dynamic mode and press hard on the go fast pedal.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:21 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

When the switch is on the exhaust bypass valves are kept open all the time in either standard or dynamic mode.

When off, the valves are closed and only open under hard acceleration above a certain RPM.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by hog4oc
I took a delivery of British Racing with camel leather last night, it is S 380hp V6.

I pulled out the fuse 43 this morning and the car did sound better.

Hog
Hog..
Would you mind taking a picture of the fusebox while pointing out the position within the fuse box of fuse (f43) ? I see it in the owners manual but would like to see a photo prior to pulling it on my v6 s. I'll also post my thoughts on the sonic changes after pulling the fuse.

Cheers!

Old 12-31-2014, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by IconAlexander
I see it in the owners manual but would like to see a photo prior to pulling it on my v6 s.
Cheers!
You really can't hurt or disturbing anything by pulling the wrong fuse. Just take your best guess and try until you find the right one.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:15 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I found that the right way to drive the car as a hooligan is to Dynamic Mode On, which opens the active exhaust, I have the switch, but no need to use it, as it always illuminate by itself and then move the gear selector to sport mode, it pops and bangs like a car from the 60's and my neighbors just love it.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

My Ferrari F355 has a vacuum actuated exhaust by-pass valve. It is normally closed, but opens at around 4000RPM and wails like a F1 race-car. Some F355 owners wire the bypass open with no ill effects. They would need to return to normal on smog check since the secondary cat in the bypass pipe is much less restrictive than the primary cat. Does the F-Type just use the by-pass valve to restrict exhaust flow and not shuttle into a by-pass pipe?

Old 01-02-2015, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member

My shopping car (12 year old E46 330ci) has a vacuum operated flap in one of the tailpipes. Jammed permanently open with no apparent ill-effects.

Quick Reply: Switchable Active Exhaust