F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking the car to the track?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

I'm not aware of any standard insurance in North America that hasn't added clauses to make sure they don't cover track incidents. That being said, track incidents are pretty rare. Can they happen? Absolutely but they are more the exception than the norm. If I were running a Ferrari or Lamborghini, I would definitely buy track insurance.

Just keep in mind that typical track insurance usually only covers collision type damage. If you have a manual shifting car and you accidentally money shift the car; it won't cover that. Typically drivetrain related issues won't be covered.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I don't know if my group is too hot-headed or my local track is especially difficult, but I would say I see people going into green at least every other track day. In the last 5 years I have not seen any injuries during my track time, but I have seen at least 2 cars that were likely totaled after getting slammed into divider.

There is one especially nasty spot where you come out of one hairpin turn into a mellow turn into long straight away in front of bleachers, but the last turn is lingering and slightly off-chamber. If you get into it too early in a RWD car you will end up sliding into concrete divider.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
I don't know if my group is too hot-headed or my local track is especially difficult, but I would say I see people going into green at least every other track day. In the last 5 years I have not seen any injuries during my track time, but I have seen at least 2 cars that were likely totaled after getting slammed into divider.
2 cars in 5 years? Not sure how many trips you make to the track per year but that's still pretty rare. Going into the grass happens, but going into objects is pretty rare.

At least with NASA, unless it's an advanced group, we curb aggressive driving. In my 8 years with NASA (around 8-9 weekends per year), I've only seen two non-advanced driving incidents. I'm not saying not to buy track insurance, but I am saying it's pretty rare to make contact with an object on track. I've seen more damage happen in the paddock or during lunch breaks.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
At least with NASA, unless it's an advanced group, we curb aggressive driving.
When I did my first NASA event I was concerned about organization. I have extensive experience with an extremely well-run motorcycle racing organization (AFM) and was hoping that the same level of safety and control would be maintained. I was not disappointed. Sonoma Raceway can be a hazardous place, and I saw people get sent home from HPDE a number of times. Usually it was for passing zone violations, but missing a flag is a zero-tolerance violation, as it should be.

In HPDE4 I did see a very expensive Porsche that had pinballed down the entrance to 11. Looked like a definite write-off, but no one else was invloved.

The following users liked this post:
Mahjik (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

I've unfortunately had to send people home in the past. It's not a fun day when that happens.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
I've unfortunately had to send people home in the past. It's not a fun day when that happens.
It's not fun, but it's for the best. The HPDEs I've been to have all made it crystal clear before hitting the track that those rules apply. Willful disobedience can't slide by, but I was always worried I'd miss one of the "test" flags they tend to throw in session 3 and resigned myself to take it with good grace if that ended my day.