Sponsored by:

TC module battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 08:26 AM
ADR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC module battery replacement

Hi All,
Does anyone know if it's possible/easy to replace the telematic control module battery (TC module battery) on a 2016 F-Type?
I'm getting the SOS System Limited Functionality message and on a 3 year old car, it could well be the battery.
Any hints and tips much appreciated!
Thanks!

Old 08-23-2020, 08:27 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Same problem with mine, dealer fixed it once and now it went with that error again

Old 08-24-2020, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

It is possible to replace the battery pack yourself (there is a little cover on the TCU with one screw that exposes the battery pack), however you need to run a diagnostic routine on the TCM afterwards.
The battery pack has two cells - one is rechargeable and one is not, so they do have finite lives.
I would try your dealer first to see if you can get it done on goodwill (only a 3 year warranty in the UK, unless you got an Approved Used/CPO extension?) Even if you have to pay them for it, it may well be worth it as it might not be the cause of the issue. (If you book it in simply to diagnose and resolve the SOS warning and the battery doesn't fix it, you won't pay for the battery.)

Old 08-25-2020, 01:22 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xdave
It is possible to replace the battery pack yourself (there is a little cover on the TCU with one screw that exposes the battery pack), however you need to run a diagnostic routine on the TCM afterwards.
The battery pack has two cells - one is rechargeable and one is not, so they do have finite lives.
I would try your dealer first to see if you can get it done on goodwill (only a 3 year warranty in the UK, unless you got an Approved Used/CPO extension?) Even if you have to pay them for it, it may well be worth it as it might not be the cause of the issue. (If you book it in simply to diagnose and resolve the SOS warning and the battery doesn't fix it, you won't pay for the battery.)
Mine is still in warranty but the US dealers are just so incompetent that whatever they fix it goes broken in a couple of weeks to a month and they always say they are booked up so you have to wait on it.

Old 08-25-2020, 02:03 PM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin
Mine is still in warranty but the US dealers are just so incompetent that whatever they fix it goes broken in a couple of weeks to a month and they always say they are booked up so you have to wait on it.
I feel your pain. My problem isn't that what they fix breaks in a couple of weeks, it's that they rarely fix or fix correctly that which I take it in to have attended to--that after having waited a month so as to have a loaner. Most aggravating!