Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Techron, BG44 or Redline?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by gg2684
DC and others, which Techron product are you using - I usually go to amazon because you can buy multiples or a larger bottle at a bit of discount - I was thinking of trying techron for my pre-winter treatment and wanted to know the preferred product/model. I guess I'm wondering if you all are using the complete fuel system (or concentrate plus version) or the injector cleaner or both over multiple fill ups? thanks.
I've used the following:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...=techron&pos=1

The main thing I would recommend is to only do a fuel system cleaner when you are driving the car. i.e. don't put fuel system cleaner in and then park the car for 6 months. I typically only do it when I know I can get through a tank a fuel in a shorter timeframe. I'm not sure how (or what) those cleaners do if they just sit in your fuel tank for a while. Just not something I ever researched.

Old 08-20-2020, 10:16 AM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
I've used the following:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...=techron&pos=1

The main thing I would recommend is to only do a fuel system cleaner when you are driving the car. i.e. don't put fuel system cleaner in and then park the car for 6 months. I typically only do it when I know I can get through a tank a fuel in a shorter timeframe. I'm not sure how (or what) those cleaners do if they just sit in your fuel tank for a while. Just not something I ever researched.
+1 - I always try to run at least one full tank after the treatment tank before the weather turns and fortunately, I can usually get each of them out to idle for a bit and do a short drive a couple times each month during the winter.

Old 08-20-2020, 11:00 AM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

... (will likely use dealer for oil changes etc while under warranty and as long as they don't quote me something ridiculous when I'm out of warranty).
My first visit for the free oil change (2017) they presented me with a $175 invoice until I reminded them it was covered. I just got my last freebie this past April; no doubt I'll be changing mine going forward (AC in the garage and a 9000 lb. Rotary lift).

Old 08-20-2020, 11:01 AM

To the post topic... I use Techron in all my vehicles and have for years.

Old 08-20-2020, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Tel
...and do those that use the fuel cleaners (basically strong solvents whichever one you choose I guess) dilute it as per instructions, or run it through a little bit more concentrated i.e diluted with less petrol?
I always follow instructions as written. Being an engineer, I trust they are for a good reason.

Old 08-20-2020, 11:30 AM
Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by inmanlanier
no doubt I'll be changing mine going forward (AC in the garage and a 9000 lb. Rotary lift).
showoff

Old 08-20-2020, 12:25 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by inmanlanier
I always follow instructions as written. Being an engineer, I trust they are for a good reason.
But BK44K doesn't come with instructions ...

Old 08-20-2020, 01:09 PM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

Not sure of the capacity of my rotory lift or my in-home alignment rack but when my private jet lands, I will have my assistant call the JLR technician that I hired to be on standby full-time, ask him, and promptly post a reply.

The following users liked this post:
ferrral (08-21-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 05:20 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
But BK44K doesn't come with instructions ...
Thought it said to add it to a full tank, then refuel at 1/4 tank. That’s what I did, though perhaps I read it here and not on the can. (No, not while sitting on the can, printed on the can!)

Old 08-20-2020, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I always add before fillup and then run as close to empty as reasonable. But Maser has 22 gal. so it is diluted a little more than Jag.

Old 08-20-2020, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

DC and others, which Techron product are you using - I usually go to amazon because you can buy multiples or a larger bottle at a bit of discount - I was thinking of trying techron for my pre-winter treatment and wanted to know the preferred product/model. I guess I'm wondering if you all are using the complete fuel system (or concentrate plus version) or the injector cleaner or both over multiple fill ups? thanks.
I use Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner. Typically buy the 32oz Bottle. I think any are fine...But that is the one I use.

DC

Old 08-20-2020, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Thought it said to add it to a full tank, then refuel at 1/4 tank. That’s what I did, though perhaps I read it here and not on the can. (No, not while sitting on the can, printed on the can!)
scm is correct, it doesn't come with any use instructions at all.
I have a brand new unopened tin of BG 44K Platinum in my grubby little paw as I type and all it says is, quote:
"Directions for use: One 11 oz. (325 ml.) can of BG 44K platinum treats up to 20 gallons (75 Liters) of fuel. For professional use."
Last time I used it, about a week ago now, I added a full tin to a full tank of fuel then let it sit overnight.
Zero problems since then and it seems to be working as designed coz the insides of the exhaust tips are a lot blacker than usual. I cleaned the tips beforehand so I could check for this.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:22 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

There is a lot of discussion on the Bob Is The Oil Guy Forums about fuel additives. I used to add a bottle of Techron to a tank that was down to about 1/4 full, fill it up and then go on about a 200 mile round trip freeway run. I have subsequently read that it is actually better to run the tank with the fuel treatment added to it down over several days just doing your normal driving as it gives the chemicals more "dwell time" to work rather than blasting through your engine at 75 miles per hour for a few hours straight. I'm not sure which is correct as I have done it both ways and don't worry about it too much.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:07 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Thanks for all the constructive comments. My car is over 5 years old now, with 15k miles on it. Always fed on 99RON petrol and driven 'spiritedly' to keep things hopefully cleaned out!

Recently I have found a scource of petrol over this side of the pond that (although it has to state it has Ethanol 5% by law) is Ethanol free, so intend to wash out the fuel system with Techron and run it on 'proper' petrol to see (if any) difference there may be.

I did trawl a few forums and one post regarding cleaners that stuck out was from the MB forums. They quoted 'Dan the Oil Guy'. Now I know everything on the web is gospel, but interesting, none the less:

"Dan the Oil Man" concerning BG 44K:

"BG44K was great stuff....until about Nov. [2004]

Then they cheaped out the formula, removed PEA from it.

Ingredients of the OLD 44K:
---------------------------
Polyetheramine (CAS N/A)
Heavy Aromatic Petroleum Distillates (CAS 64742-94-5)
Hydrotreated Heavy Petroleum Distillates (CAS 64742-48-9)
Napthalene (CAS 91-20-3)
1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene (CAS 95-63-6)

Ingredients of the NEW 44K:
---------------------------
Stoddard Solvent (CAS 8052-41-3)
Hydrotreated Kerosene (CAS 64742-47-
Light Aromatic Solvent Naptha (CAS 64742-95-6)

Seems expensive for stoddard solvent and tiki-torch fuel.
...and I see Techron have updated their formula, but even from the MSDS's I can't make head nor tail of what they've changed as PEA seems to be missing, so it could well be snake oil!

Anyway, for around 20 Bucks, it's worth it, even if it is just psychological ;-)

Last edited by Tel; 08-21-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:32 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Interesting. My can of BG44K lists:

Hydrotreated heavy petroleum naphtha
Hydrotreated light petroleum distillates
Stoddard solvent

No idea if it's good or not.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:45 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Interesting. My can of BG44K lists:

Hydrotreated heavy petroleum naphtha
Hydrotreated light petroleum distillates
Stoddard solvent

No idea if it's good or not.
Only one way to tell ;-)

Could it be a USA/UK labelling thing?

Old 08-21-2020, 11:21 AM
Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

As Dwight alluded to in his post, a detailed discussion can be found here:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...leaner.218239/

the PEA percentage of commonly available fuel system cleaners is the focus. It looks like Redline and Techron are a safe bet. BG and LM stuff, not so much.

Old 08-21-2020, 01:58 PM

I concur with the normal driving. Chevron recommends to nearly empty your tank, then add 1 full 16 oz. bottle, followed by 16 gal. of fuel. What they are really saying is to put in 1 oz. of Techron per Gal of fuel in the tank. I do NOT read that they want you to drive it with the full bottle in the car with little gas to the gas station then add fuel.

I have a replica Cobra that I built years ago - it's fuel injected based on a 5.0 Ford engine (although a good bit more power). It has sat for a few years because I bent some valves and needed to do some other cosmetic work (like add a roll bar for the wife). After getting the valve train in order, it was running quite rough. I assumed the injectors needed some cleaning after sitting for some time. I've added Techron to the fuel (per the recommended ratio) and have been periodically running the engine. It has clearly improved, so obviously there is a good effect from this stuff. I've not loaded the engine up since I don't yet have the body back on nor my footbox bottom.

Old 08-22-2020, 12:24 PM
Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

I don't think anyone on the forum is going to offer to tear down the engine in their F-Type to test how well the products being discussed in this thread actually work. I recently came across a video that shows how well Techron, Seafoam and Marvel Mystery Oil clean engines. Lawnmower engines that is. Sorry no BG or Redline was tested.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

All good info. Thanks folks. Sounds like I’ll be switching from 44K to Redline.

Quick Reply: Techron, BG44 or Redline?