F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Telematics Control Unit (TCU) Battery Replacement How-To

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2023 | 03:38 PM
|
Default Telematics Control Unit (TCU) Battery Replacement How-To

My 2016 F Type R Coupe has been suffering from the "SOS Limited Functionality" warning for several months. I finally got around to replacing the TCU battery today and thought I would give a quick overview of the process for anyone else that wants to do the same.

I started by purchasing a
replacement battery from Amazon replacement battery from Amazon

Replacing the battery is very straightforward and only requires one or two tools (depending on your particular vehicle's build). Here are the step-by-step instructions:

1) Find the cover located between the seats, above the center console

2) Gently pull forward on both sides at the top of the cover to release the clips, then lift up and remove the cover. This will expose the TCU:

3) The TCU battery is located behind a cover panel held in place by a single T10 (Torx) screw. Undo this screw and remove the cover to access the battery. If your car is like mine and the cover is blocked by the metal cross-car bracket, move to Step 4. Otherwise, you can jump to Step 5.

4) On my car, the large metal bracket seen in the above photo prevented me from being able to remove the battery cover. I had to loosen the three 10mm nuts holding the TCU in place so I could lift it slightly and then remove the battery cover. There are two nuts on the (US) driver's side of the TCU and one on the passenger side (hidden behind a bundle of wires which needed to be pushed out of the way for access). I used a deep well 10mm socket to access all three nuts.

5) With the access door removed, I used a pair of needle nose pliers to gently pinch the plastic latch on the battery connector and remove the connector and battery from the TCU. The connector and latch are visible below. (Unfortunately, I failed to get a photo of this step).

6) After removing the original battery, simply install the new battery (being careful to make sure the connector is correctly oriented with the latching clip toward the passenger side of the car) and reverse the previous steps.

So far, the new battery appears to have remedied the SOS Functionality warnings on my car. This is an easy repair for anyone suffering from the same issue. I have seen some other threads that indicate the warning message could also be related to an issue with the actual TCU module or the roof antenna, but I decided to start with a replacement battery and hope for the best. So far, so good.

The following 8 users liked this post by Gearhead01:
Carbuff2 (12-04-2023), dangoesfast (12-02-2023), jcb-memphis (12-02-2023), Kuhli (07-29-2024), PaulBarrrera (12-02-2023), Thunder Dump (12-02-2023), uncheel (12-04-2023), Valerie Stabenow (12-11-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-02-2023 | 05:25 PM

Thanks for the write up, my 2015 does not have a module in that area and I’m not receiving any error message either.

Old 12-04-2023 | 06:07 PM

Good job! Been getting that stupid error on and off for months....was never sure which batt to get....just ordered the last one on Amazon! Thanks for the link.

Old 12-06-2023 | 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

There's another thread on this that includes information on the battery pack itself. I promised pictures of the replacement operation but never did, so thanks for this.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...nality-191247/

I got the information on the two batteries and someone else was able to source them and make a new pack. The two cells are both lithium but different flavors. One is rechargeable and the other not.

Old 12-11-2023 | 11:39 AM
Default battery access panel

Thank you for the great photos and writeup. I'm not having any issues currently, but with a MY2017, who knows what may be coming. I do have a question, if you could clarify the process for accessing the battery pack. You write that there is (or may be) a metal cross bracket that blocks access to the small battery cover. In your photos, it doesn't look like that cover is blocked by the bracket (3rd photo) . Is there more to the battery cover than the photo shows?

Old 12-11-2023 | 01:17 PM
|

The photo below should better illustrate the issue I had removing the battery access door. In my case, the silver metal bracket overlapped the bottom of the access door just enough to prevent removal. The yellow line highlights the interference:

The door is held in place by a single Torx bolt on the left and two tabs that tuck into the case on the right. With the bolt loose, you should be able to just rotate the door forward and remove it. My guess is that the parts were designed such that the access door should be above the top of that bracket for easy removal. In my car's case, either the TCU is a little low or the bracket is a little high (or both) and there was interference. What should have been a 5 minute job turned into 10 minutes due to the need for a few more tools to loosen the TCU and lift it slightly to get the access door over the bracket.

Old 12-11-2023 | 07:48 PM

I broke a trimpiece on one of the door panels, so was a bit hesitant to pull on the console section. No worries!! Came forward and up as described. Inside it is identical to your photos. Thank you again for posting this. I feel totally comfortable following your directions for the battery replacement.

Old 07-28-2024 | 07:40 AM
|

I want to follow up on my initial post to add one more step to the process - Reset the TCU once the battery has been changed. The SOS Limited error messages will not automatically go away as the vehicle does not automatically register the replaced battery. You will have to open the cover to the maintenance assistance button located on the LHS (driver's side USA) of the SOS button panel. I pressed on the top of the button cover to drop it and expose the button for maintenance assistance.

The clear square in the center of that area is the reset button.

Turn on vehicle accessories by pressing the start button without pressing the brake pedal.

Press and Hold the maintenance assistance button. It will begin blinking somewhat rapidly in an amber light. Hold the button until it starts to blink slowly. release the button and turn accessories/car off. Wait 5-10 minutes for the Telematics System to run a self-diagnostics and register the new battery and voltage level.

Once I completed this last step, my SOS Limited warnings have been greatly reduced. I still get the occasional warning message, but they are much less frequent than before replacing the battery and performing the reset procedure.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gearhead01:
Thunder Dump (07-28-2024), Valerie Stabenow (07-29-2024)
Old 07-28-2024 | 11:06 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gearhead01
I still get the occasional warning message, but they are much less frequent than before replacing the battery and performing the reset procedure.
I suspect it takes a few drives to fully charge the replacement battery - my new one was only 3.7V when I took it out of the box, the old one I removed was over 4V.

Old 07-28-2024 | 11:49 AM

I want to follow up on my initial post to add one more step to the process - Reset the TCU once the battery has been changed. The SOS Limited error messages will not automatically go away as the vehicle does not automatically register the replaced battery. You will have to open the cover to the maintenance assistance button located on the LHS (driver's side USA) of the SOS button panel. I pressed on the top of the button cover to drop it and expose the button for maintenance assistance.

The clear square in the center of that area is the reset button.

Turn on vehicle accessories by pressing the start button without pressing the brake pedal.

Press and Hold the maintenance assistance button. It will begin blinking somewhat rapidly in an amber light. Hold the button until it starts to blink slowly. release the button and turn accessories/car off. Wait 5-10 minutes for the Telematics System to run a self-diagnostics and register the new battery and voltage level.

Once I completed this last step, my SOS Limited warnings have been greatly reduced. I still get the occasional warning message, but they are much less frequent than before replacing the battery and performing the reset procedure.
Good info thanks!

Old 07-29-2024 | 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

I want to follow up on my initial post to add one more step to the process - Reset the TCU once the battery has been changed. The SOS Limited error messages will not automatically go away as the vehicle does not automatically register the replaced battery.
Originally Posted by scm
I suspect it takes a few drives to fully charge the replacement battery - my new one was only 3.7V when I took it out of the box, the old one I removed was over 4V.
I did not do the Telematics reset because I didn't know about it. The "a few drives to fully charge the replacement" method did work for me, so the reset must not be entirely necessary, although I would probably have had fewer drives after replacement with the annoying warning.