F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tesla Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

How long can Elon Musk carry on making cars ? Tesla Motors Inc losses are now enormous. At the moment, the more cars they sell, the more money they lose !!

Old 11-21-2017, 05:20 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
How long can Elon Musk carry on making cars ? Tesla Motors Inc losses are now enormous. At the moment, the more cars they sell, the more money they lose !!
You will be wanting the “I love my F Type, but” thread for Elon / Tesla / taxes / Government bashing. This one is for cars that don’t look like the F Type.

Last edited by ek993; 11-21-2017 at 05:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SinF (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Now, if Tesla roadster was available today, I'd reach deep into my pocket and buy one. Because I want electric monster on the track.

However, with usual Tesla delays and production setbacks, it won't be ready until 2022 or so. By then, a lot of new cars will be out (like mid-engined C8), possibly making this roadster yesterday's news. I don't believe ICE is quite dead yet, there is still cam-less designs, there is still multi-stage turbo designs...

Old 11-21-2017, 09:52 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Now, if Tesla roadster was available today, I'd reach deep into my pocket and buy one. Because I want electric monster on the track.

However, with usual Tesla delays and production setbacks, it won't be ready until 2022 or so. By then, a lot of new cars will be out (like mid-engined C8), possibly making this roadster yesterday's news. I don't believe ICE is quite dead yet, there is still cam-less designs, there is still multi-stage turbo designs...
This captures my hesitation in saying that I'll get one or putting down a deposit. My ability to predict what my life will be like in one year is limited. My ability to predict 5 years... I might as well get a ouija board.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Talking about similarities. How about this new Aston-Martin's profile?
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/...wispr#image=30

I personally think the AM looks like an F-Type & A Nissan 370Z... "got busy"

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-21-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Talking about similarities. How about this new Aston-Martin's profile?
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/...wispr#image=30

I personally think the AM looks like an F-Type & A Nissan 370Z... "got busy"
Wow, that does look a LOT like an F-Type from the side.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
For just one lap? What’s the point. Cant last a full race.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:52 AM
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Looks more like a Lotus Evora than an F-type. All nice looking cars in their own right. The Evora has ugly headlights though; like a kit car.

Was chuckling about the battery also. I'm sure if you floored it all the way to top speed (if special street tires are made for 250mph) and then let off the accelerator you better hope there would be a charging station at the next stop.

Surely IF this could really attain a speed of 250mph, you could literally watch the drain needle drifting downward toward empty. The amount of energy needed at full power would kill this in minutes. For example, at full throttle a Dodge Hellcat consumes 1.5 gallons of gas in under one minute.

Tesla can't even produce promised numbers of their model 3 (being sued for this as many gave sizeable non-refundable deposits). Plus the goofy semi-truck that would never be economically viable for any trucking company. The only user will be Tesla itself, if it ever really exists in the real world.

My guess is this roadster, if ever released as stated with these numbers, is many years away - 2020 my ***. If Musk spends less time chasing gold digger has beens and focuses 100% on his company, maybe 2030.

A lot of false preconceptions in your rant. This car benefits from two major advances, one in battery tech but the other, and perhaps more importantly is in the software, which has more to do with performance than most realize. Maybe you don't like electric, or you don't like Musk, but don't let that cloud your reasoning. This car's coming to fruition probably has more to do with Koenigsegg and Christian's record-breaking (recent 0-400-0 record-shattering run) than with business as usual. And yes, this is a real car according to my son, who works for Tesla.

cheers

Old 11-26-2017, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I believe there is a Tesla forum around somewhere for those inclined.. maybe it requires tax payers support as well to remain viable, regardless, I'm sure there is one.
Lawrence

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (11-29-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mulmur
I believe there is a Tesla forum around somewhere for those inclined.. maybe it requires tax payers support as well to remain viable, regardless, I'm sure there is one.
Lawrence
There's a well established precedent of talking about F-Type competitors here.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I actually agree that competitor car comments are all good... just having a little fun with the severity of the Tesla crowd that I've seen in various publications when someone challenges some facet of the Tesla/Musk mystic.

Lots of good vehicles out and about.
Lawrence

Old 11-27-2017, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member

I was a huge Musk fan until I found out he is advocating for the elimination of all drivers. He is pure evil.

Last edited by Unhingd; 11-28-2017 at 05:28 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,371 Posts

Yep, he is also extremely opposed to fossil fuels (surprise surprise!), see here: https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-fuel-industry

Old 11-28-2017, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, he is also extremely opposed to fossil fuels (surprise surprise!), see here: https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-fuel-industry
So what's left? Solar, Wind and a couple of obsolete nukes? A while to go on that one.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I was a huge Musk fan until I found out he is advocating for the elimination of all drivers. He is pure evil.
I'm for the elimination of all drivers on most roads. It's too dangerous. Let us enthusiasts have our fun on tracks or in isolated areas.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
I'm for the elimination of all drivers on most roads. It's too dangerous. Let us enthusiasts have our fun on tracks or in isolated areas.
I think you're right and it'll happen; I also think that it sucks that the only way a person will be able to enjoy driving in the future will be every second weekend on an expensive track day...

Hopefully I'll be gone before then. In the meantime I'll take solace in the fact that I can still ride my dual sport motorcycles almost anywhere I care to go without any rules, computers, electronic interference or speed limits (offroad)

Dave

Old 11-29-2017, 09:59 AM
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
I think you're right and it'll happen; I also think that it sucks that the only way a person will be able to enjoy driving in the future will be every second weekend on an expensive track day...

Hopefully I'll be gone before then. In the meantime I'll take solace in the fact that I can still ride my dual sport motorcycles almost anywhere I care to go without any rules, computers, electronic interference or speed limits (offroad)

Dave
I know its off topic, but someone may be able to answer this. With a self driving car who is held responsible for a collision. If its the manufacturer, than I dont think you would need to insure it for anything other than theft.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

If Musk keeps going back to Amber Turd it will be the end of him.

A blue pill simp looking for a replacement mommy. Perhaps a brilliant businessman, however his idiocy in his search of 'love' from an evil wench like Turd will be the end of him. Better men than him have self-destructed in the exact same manner.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
If Musk keeps going back to Amber Turd it will be the end of him.

A blue pill simp looking for a replacement mommy. Perhaps a brilliant businessman, however his idiocy in his search of 'love' from an evil wench like Turd will be the end of him. Better men than him have self-destructed in the exact same manner.
WUT

Old 11-29-2017, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by akc70
I know its off topic, but someone may be able to answer this. With a self driving car who is held responsible for a collision. If its the manufacturer, than I dont think you would need to insure it for anything other than theft.
I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that at present there aren't any laws changing liability in the case of a self driving car. The driver is responsible for ensuring the car operates safely.

Of course, this is a new legal frontier and over time this may change and shift more responsibility onto the manufacturers. Of course, today if a manufacturer was grossly negligent and that caused an accident I'd expect the manufacturer could be held liable. In fact, there's an ongoing (I think) lawsuit about just this scenario. https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...uit/100670104/