F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tesla Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

hmmm, it would depend on the wording of the legislation but if you have all sorts of experts saying that particular autonomous cars are better and safer drivers than a human and have quicker reaction time, then it would be arguably entirely reasonable for a mere mortal to entrust the operation of the car to the software, i.e. it would not be negligent and it wouldnt be dangerous, and it wouldnt breach the obligation of due care and attention.

In fact it could be said that if the mortal attempted to take control in an emergency rather than letting the software weave its magic and a crash ensued, it was the driver's fault because it might have been avoided by the software.

So at first blush the driver's position would depend on whether it is reasonable to rely of the autononous driver, and also the legislation in that place. But then maybe the legislation should go further to excuse drivers from liability if they take control themselves. I can just see some ******** arguing that they shouldnt have, especially if it is demonstrated that the software has superior skill.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
hmmm, it would depend on the wording of the legislation but if you have all sorts of experts saying that particular autonomous cars are better and safer drivers than a human and have quicker reaction time, then it would be arguably entirely reasonable for a mere mortal to entrust the operation of the car to the software, i.e. it would not be negligent and it wouldnt be dangerous, and it wouldnt breach the obligation of due care and attention.

In fact it could be said that if the mortal attempted to take control in an emergency rather than letting the software weave its magic and a crash ensued, it was the driver's fault because it might have been avoided by the software.

So at first blush the driver's position would depend on whether it is reasonable to rely of the autononous driver, and also the legislation in that place. But then maybe the legislation should go further to excuse drivers from liability if they take control themselves. I can just see some ******** arguing that they shouldnt have, especially if it is demonstrated that the software has superior skill.
Yah...that's a world I want to live in. "it's ok to own and operate assault weapons but you go to jail if you think about driving your own car". Just kill me now!

Old 11-29-2017, 09:39 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail

I think we'll get there at some point. There's a lot of work to be done to get autonomous systems to that state in all/nearly-all scenarios and legislation always lags behind technology.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 284 Likes on 171 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (12-04-2017)