F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks Unhingd!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

The film gives you the protection on top, and the paint is protected underneath. It seems rather obvious to me. It's ridiculous to spend the money on cQuartz to protect the film, when any kind of wax or paint protection product will do that. XPEL is warrantied for 10 years.

If you're not wrapping the entire car, the cost of cQuartz on the un-filmed panels is not much different than protecting the rest of the car before wrapping certain panels.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-04-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Pics of Foosh's car at Proform Automotive:
Facebook Post

If you click far enough to the right, you can find some of my car as well.
(After you get past the 18 bazillion Porsches.)

Last edited by Unhingd; 07-04-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
The film gives you the protection on top, and the paint is protected underneath. It seems rather obvious to me. It's ridiculous to spend the money on cQuartz to protect the film, when any kind of wax or paint protection product will do that. XPEL is warrantied for 10 years.

If you're not wrapping the entire car, the cost of cQuartz on the un-filmed panels is not much different than protecting the rest of the car before wrapping certain panels.
It's not about protecting the film per se. But if the silica goes on top you don't have to wax, and the car is much easier to clean. If you're worried about protecting your paint from the film, then so be it, but uv light will break down the coating over time anyway, covered or not.

What's done is done, and to each his own, but in my experience this is not how these two technologies are typically mated.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

OK, I'm no expert in this subject area, and just went w/ what a long-time expert recommended. It made no difference-price wise, and having had many cars w/ nose and hoods filmed, cleaning the car was always easy. This is my first go w/ cQuartz.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-04-2016 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

OK, I'm no expert in this subject area, and just went w/ what a long-time expert recommended. It made no difference-price wise, and having had many cars w/ nose and hoods filmed, cleaning the car was always easy. This is my first go w/ cQuartz.
Foosh, not to worry. Rob was certainly adequately diligent to ensure proper bonding of the wrap to the car. The cQuartz on the paint will prevent any chemical reaction with the adhesive so that you are left with a perfect surface for the next time it gets wrapped in ten years. UV protection for the wrap (and additionally for the paint) comes from the spray bottle of Prep N Polish that Rob gave you. Do not wax the wrap (or the cQuartz). You don't know what chemicals are in the wax that might deteriorate the resin.

After rinsing down my car, it takes all of 5 minutes to spray (very little of it) and polish. The difference between pre and post polish is amazing when gliding a micro fiber across the surface.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Foosh (07-05-2016), Panthro (07-09-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Foosh, not to worry. Rob was certainly adequately diligent to ensure proper bonding of the wrap to the car. The cQuartz on the paint will prevent any chemical reaction with the adhesive so that you are left with a perfect surface for the next time it gets wrapped in ten years. UV protection for the wrap (and additionally for the paint) comes from the spray bottle of Prep N Polish that Rob gave you. Do not wax the wrap (or the cQuartz). You don't know what chemicals are in the wax that might deteriorate the resin.

After rinsing down my car, it takes all of 5 minutes to spray (very little of it) and polish. The difference between pre and post polish is amazing when gliding a micro fiber across the surface.
Thanks! That's exactly what Rob said. Since he was one of the first "wrappers" in the country 20+ years ago, I'm sure he's seen it all, and I would trust his guidance over any of the other installers out there, even over the film and coating manufacturers.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:54 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Now I know why foosh wraps his cars. That driveway.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member

Haven't you heard, gravel is the latest trendy and cool way to go when building a country estate, which we did a couple of years ago. :-)

Actually no issues at all, it's very hard packed with no rocks kicked up. It was done by a paving company, cut-out just like a paved driveway, with several layers of crushed rock laid down and rolled between each, and then thin layers of gravel put down and also rolled between every layer. The final result is as solid as asphalt, and far more aesthetically pleasing than ugly blacktop. It's also a lot cooler in summer than either blacktop or pavers.

It's required zero maintenance in 3 years, and if you drive a different pathway in and out, it continually repacks itself. It also beautifully washes after every rainfall, and no need for sweeping or blowing off dirt. Lastly, it's not like I'm driving highway speeds in my driveway. :-)

Old 07-09-2016, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Haven't you heard, gravel is the latest trendy and cool way to go when building a country estate, which we did a couple of years ago. :-)

Actually no issues at all, it's very hard packed with no rocks kicked up. It was done by a paving company, cut-out just like a paved driveway, with several layers of crushed rock laid down and rolled between each, and then thin layers of gravel put down and also rolled between every layer. The final result is as solid as asphalt, and far more aesthetically pleasing than ugly blacktop. It's also a lot cooler in summer than either blacktop or pavers.

It's required zero maintenance in 3 years, and if you drive a different pathway in and out, it continually repacks itself. It also beautifully washes after every rainfall, and no need for sweeping or blowing off dirt. Lastly, it's not like I'm driving highway speeds in my driveway. :-)
Hey Foosh, ever think of going into Gravel sales? You'd be a mater at it. I almost want to use this for the aisle the day my son or daughter get married in church after reading this,,,,,LOL! Seriously good thought went into this obviously.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (07-10-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 08:59 AM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Is it kosher to ask what your paint correction cost? I've looked into it locally and can only find a few providers who seem to be all over the board with pricing. Some are in the $2k range, others are around $500. If anyone has any recommendations in the Dallas area, that would be great, too!

Old 07-09-2016, 05:40 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Well one of the best shops in NJ that does this quoted me $1,295 for the paint correction which they state is a 2 day job. I haven't done it yet but contemplating it in the near future.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
Well one of the best shops in NJ that does this quoted me $1,295 for the paint correction which they state is a 2 day job. I haven't done it yet but contemplating it in the near future.
Hi
How are you? Where is this shop in NJ, as I am interested.
Thanks,

Old 07-10-2016, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
+1

A little over $1K if it's done by a true professional. It could be a lot more, on say a 10-year black car, but if it's less, it won't be much more than a wash and wax. That's not a true paint correction.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:37 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by slojotaa
Hi
How are you? Where is this shop in NJ, as I am interested.
Thanks,
Phil
Detailer's Domain
70 Oak Street
Unit 102
Norwood, NJ 07648 USA
Tel: 201-768-1818

The following users liked this post:
slojotaa (07-11-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default To this point

+1

A little over $1K if it's done by a true professional. It could be a lot more, on say a 10-year black car, but if it's less, it won't be much more than a wash and wax. That's not a true paint correction.
Didn't want to take the car in for a glorified detail. At the end of the day I'm not sure if after seeing my car with a pro detail could I point out if I received a true paint correction. At $1300, I would need to know that they accomplish certain procedures to justify the expense and two days of downtime.

It would be nice to have a list to bring in and not leave it up to them to simply get the car looking nice.

I have a guy that says he will paint correct, then film wrap the front end for $1500. Just not sure what he's doing under the wrap.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-11-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Generally speaking, a paint correction on a nearly-new, white car is completely unnecessary. Swirls are virtually invisible on white. The only cars I have ever "paint-corrected" have been black.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Here is some pics of my IRR being detailed, including paint correction to remove swirls and some minor scratches:

» 2014 Jaguar F-Type R Krokeide Bilpleie

In some of the pics you can easilly see the result were parts of the panels are corrected. There are also some "before and after" pics.

The job also included a Gtechniq "Crystal serum" coating, as a extra protection which works great (protects well against swirls).

Old 07-11-2016, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Generally speaking, a paint correction on a nearly-new, white car is completely unnecessary. Swirls are virtually invisible on white. The only cars I have ever "paint-corrected" have been black.
Ahh OK, but I do have imperfections and rock chips. Didn't want a respray or to do a clear wrap without perfecting whats underneath.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Ahh OK, but I do have imperfections and rock chips. Didn't want a respray or to do a clear wrap without perfecting whats underneath.
A paint correction isn't going to do anything for your rock chips. If you don't respray, they'll have to be touched up.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

A paint correction isn't going to do anything for your rock chips. If you don't respray, they'll have to be touched up.
So touch up isn't part of a paint correction?

I thought the term was just that, a detailed walk around the car fixing anything his keen eye runs across whether it be chips, swirls, dull smudges, clay bar, etc. If I pay 1500 I don't want add ons like chip fills. I want them to fix what they see in the best method available to them.

IE: paint correction!