F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there any inexpensive upgrades worth doing to the F Type?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 02:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Add some contrast taping to the rear, sides and front lip. Tape is cheap and just takes time and a steady hand.

The following 3 users liked this post by HowardT:
BruceTheQuail (03-04-2021), Damon Parker (03-05-2021), RideTheLightning (03-06-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

It makes it a little louder, and a slight amount more SC noise but you really have to be listening for it.

Old 03-04-2021, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Some people don't care, but defeating the Symposer system greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the car. Very quick, no cost, reversed as quickly (although I've no intention of ever doing so).

Old 03-04-2021, 03:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
This is my first Jaguar and so far love the car. It seems every car I have owned there was always some nice inexpensive upgrades that often owners find to do the their cars that may be subjective but to me added a great bang for the buck value. For example on my last toy car which was a Porsche 911 simply adding clear Euro side marker lights to replace the OEM orange ones made a wonderful change. I haven't seen nor read anything on the forums yet (I have only been here a few months) but wondered if anyone cared to share if they have done something reasonably priced. I was contemplating a dead pedal in the car but unsure if it would look right although I think this is the only car I haven't seen one in that I have owned.

I am planning on some motor upgrades shortly such as the Mina intake and pulley/tune but those are on hold for now since I am working on some other pricey projects. Plus I want to put some more miles on the F Type to get a good feeling of the current motor output before having done.

A couple of inexpensive (meaning under $500) additions I made include the key fob cover ($20) attached which always gets compliments and questions, even from the dealer who thought I had a limited edition car, and the remote top control ($460) which allows me to not only raise or lower the top from outside, but also allows for 1-touch raise/lowering from inside.

Old 03-04-2021, 03:52 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

I ordered my 2015 F-Type S from the dealer, looking for a long-term relationship so I optioned it the way I wanted.
Mods:
Entry / Puddle Lights W/Leaper Logo
CTEC Battery Charger (easy installation, small hole in tray)
Driver's side mirror etched with: "Caution: Objects in mirror recede quickly under acceleration"
Removable front-license plate bracket that plugs into a metal block secured with a bolt under the front spoiler (not sure it's available anymore), I considered "Stow-and-Go" but don't think it would last very long given how low the front of the car is (my buddy put the Stow-and-go on his Audi A8 and it lasted 3-4 months before it was scraped off).
Planned:
5 years no problems with the car other than minor coolant leak in year-2 fixed under warranty (known problem), a few months ago the starter broke: the stop-start system which I did not disconnect uses a special starter to start the car. $1,500 part. I'm planning on replacing the factory AGM battery at 6-years and ditching the separate stop-start battery at the same time. I used the stop-start sometimes, probably saved $30 in gasoline at the expense of a $1,500 part.

Old 03-04-2021, 05:02 PM
Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

Paint Protection Film, or as it is known on the forum PPF. While not cheap it will help protect your investment. There are numerous posts on the forum about it.

Also if you are going to spring for PPF you may as well get a paint correction while you are at it. Again, there are many post here about it.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Thought of another one that is relatively cheap - Again - personal preference....Aluminum pedals!

DC

The following 2 users liked this post by Therock88:
BruceTheQuail (03-04-2021), MidLifeinTN (03-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 08:08 PM
Received 246 Likes on 130 Posts

They look great. Where did you get them?

Old 03-04-2021, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeIII
They look great. Where did you get them?
Thanks (If you are referring to my pedals?). I got these on FleaBay (eBay) a while back. I went to look for a link for you, but they do not have these any longer on eBay or on Alibaba. They have similar ones that just do not have the Leaper on them, but they still look pretty good. Just search Alibaba or eBay for "Jaguar Aluminum Pedals" and you should find some. I could not find ones I liked that were specifically for F-Types, so I just bought any version, and they worked perfectly. The accelerator should be smaller and curved when looking for a set....The Dead pedal and Brake pedal will fit most all cars.

DC

The following users liked this post:
GeorgeIII (03-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 08:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Supercharger Pulley and flash ECM

Not inexpensive but the best money for result I’ve spent so far. Woke my F Type V8 S convertible the hell up. It’s a rocket ship now. Much more fun to drive and easily hangs with zO6 corvettes and the new flat plane mustangs. Eurocharge in Houston supplied the pulley and flash.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:00 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Cheap things I have done:

1. take engine cover off (for noise);
2. put BMC filters in (likewise, actually the boxes are hard to get at so I had mechanics do it, not so cheap);
3. debadge the rear, reposition the leaper and spray it black (very effective especially if you have black pack);
4. wrap the sills black (gives car more waist);
5. wrap A and C pillars black (flattens out greenhouse and looks pretty aggressive, some love it, some not so much);
6. replace interior LED's with blue (stops the junkies shooting up in your car).
Can you show us pictures of your mods?

Old 03-04-2021, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

Gooday - the red coupe on the first page.

No-one else thought the blue light reference was funny? I'll have to get better material...

Old 03-04-2021, 10:31 PM
Received 246 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
Thanks (If you are referring to my pedals?). I got these on FleaBay (eBay) a while back. I went to look for a link for you, but they do not have these any longer on eBay or on Alibaba. They have similar ones that just do not have the Leaper on them, but they still look pretty good. Just search Alibaba or eBay for "Jaguar Aluminum Pedals" and you should find some. I could not find ones I liked that were specifically for F-Types, so I just bought any version, and they worked perfectly. The accelerator should be smaller and curved when looking for a set....The Dead pedal and Brake pedal will fit most all cars.

DC
Thanks much for the info. The hunt begins....

Old 03-04-2021, 11:41 PM
Received 83 Likes on 28 Posts
Old 03-05-2021, 03:32 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

No-one else thought the blue light reference was funny? I'll have to get better material...
Bruce, I fell out over it! Took me a half a second, and those are always the best ones.

BruceTheQuail (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 06:57 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by cpq100
Paint Protection Film, or as it is known on the forum PPF. While not cheap it will help protect your investment. There are numerous posts on the forum about it.

Also if you are going to spring for PPF you may as well get a paint correction while you are at it. Again, there are many post here about it.
I actually did more than I though than already. I had paint correction, PPF on a good portion of the car and then it all ceramic coated. I also bought a key fob case and valve stem caps and of course the much needed sun shade for the brutal summers in AZ.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:20 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
This is my first Jaguar and so far love the car. It seems every car I have owned there was always some nice inexpensive upgrades that often owners find to do the their cars that may be subjective but to me added a great bang for the buck value. For example on my last toy car which was a Porsche 911 simply adding clear Euro side marker lights to replace the OEM orange ones made a wonderful change. I haven't seen nor read anything on the forums yet (I have only been here a few months) but wondered if anyone cared to share if they have done something reasonably priced. I was contemplating a dead pedal in the car but unsure if it would look right although I think this is the only car I haven't seen one in that I have owned.

I am planning on some motor upgrades shortly such as the Mina intake and pulley/tune but those are on hold for now since I am working on some other pricey projects. Plus I want to put some more miles on the F Type to get a good feeling of the current motor output before having done.
Yes. Install same sized tires as the SVR. 265 front and 305 rear. Get Michelin P4S. Install Union Jack dust caps, and leave it at that. The reliability can be horrible from the factory, so why mess with it.
But that is just mho. On my previous BMWs I installed Dinan products which are covered by factory warranty, but as far as I know there are no similar products backed by factory warranty by Jaguar.

Old 02-23-2024, 11:00 AM
Received 44 Likes on 11 Posts

here you go, let me know if you want one from higher.

I did that mod maybe 3 years ago now, still love it
Very clean look to your car man 😎

BruceTheQuail (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 01:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello, I also want to remove the engine cover. What function does it actually have?
On my previous vehicle, an Audi S7, the cover was not allowed to be removed due to the thermal protection.

Old 02-23-2024, 01:42 PM
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SacTown-Patriot
Very clean look to your car man 😎
BruceTheQuail: I'd love to see a high photo of the upper wrap. It's something I would seriously consider based on your existing photos. Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Is there any inexpensive upgrades worth doing to the F Type?