F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there any inexpensive upgrades worth doing to the F Type?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 09:19 AM
Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't remember seeing anyone mention replacing the side mirror turn signals. I replaced mine very early on with a set of sequential side mirror indicator lights..
Amazon Amazon
My car is black so they blend into the mirror housing nicely. Takes about 10 minutes. The first one you do go slow so you don't break off any tabs. The second one goes quick.

The following 3 users liked this post by 2000JagLvr:
BruceTheQuail (02-27-2024), RUT23 (03-27-2024), Zen Beer (03-23-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 10:21 AM
Received 320 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000JagLvr
I don't remember seeing anyone mention replacing the side mirror turn signals. I replaced mine very early on with a set of sequential side mirror indicator lights.. Amazon My car is black so they blend into the mirror housing nicely. Takes about 10 minutes. The first one you do go slow so you don't break off any tabs. The second one goes quick.
+1 on the sequential signals. Though there are many cheaper, I bought mine from SNG Barratt. Way more expensive now than when I got them. But comes with plastic 'pry bar' to remove the cover and the little screwdriver. Plus they posted a DIY.

https://www.sngbarratt.com/English(U...0sequential%60

The following users liked this post:
RUT23 (03-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 11:34 AM
Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Way more expensive now than when I got them. But comes with plastic 'pry bar' to remove the cover and the little screwdriver. Plus they posted a DIY.
Even Amazon price has gone up 10% since November 23. I already had pry tools and tiny screw drivers. I get in trouble when I buy more tools. I might have to start using "alternate" mailing addresses.

Old 02-27-2024, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

Sweet, just ordered mine! From Aust Amazon they are $110AUD, from US (after conversion and with shipping) about $65AUD

2000JagLvr (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 03:00 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I hate those sequential lights! I'm not making my Jaaaag look like a pretentious Audi.

Old 02-27-2024, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
I hate those sequential lights! I'm not making my Jaaaag look like a pretentious Audi.
oooooh a rare disagreement with you! I recently put them into the rears on my mustang and I love them, though of course I have to get my missus to sit in it and indicate for me to enjoy them. Fun fact, in that car it is a sequential lighting of the 3 separate tail light sections, it is done by replacing part of the cable rather than any of the lights themselves.

scm (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 04:03 PM
Received 320 Likes on 206 Posts
Default Then there's the bonnet/hood vents

The replacement vents were 'stock' JLR F vents. I did this project a couple of years ago and not expensive at the time.. maybe $47 each ???

The first photo is the OE vent:

The second with more chrome is the replacement. Easy enough to do... just be sure to tie some string to the current/in place units so when you pop the little tangs out, the vent doesn't fall down your bonnet/hood and scratch it.

Just checked Harper Jaguar, where I bought them:... OMG That price really shot up!!!!

https://parts.harperjaguar.com/oem-p...-side-t2r38455

Attached Thumbnails Is there any inexpensive upgrades worth doing to the F Type?-20210721_194848.jpg   Is there any inexpensive upgrades worth doing to the F Type?-20210730_170852.jpg  
Old 02-28-2024, 09:00 AM
Received 260 Likes on 132 Posts

It is all relative, while not absolutely cheap, I recommend anyone with the old "split piece" plastic coolant tubing get new tubing, metal ones are out there just make sure to use good o rings (see the thread on metal coolant pipes). It costs about 2k to change it all out and update the s/c with a solid part and do the s/c fluid and plugs, but these engines die if they get overheated.....which costs a lot more. Now VAP even has a symposer plug to add in the mix (darn it!).

After that and all the above, for about 400 on AliExpress in my case and 100 for a pro, wireless carplay on my pre-carplay car has been awesome. Worth every penny. See multiple threads. It does android auto too, wirelessly too.

So not "cheap" but per value added are super cheap in my book.

Old 03-01-2024, 06:39 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

This one is cheap as it only cost me some time and some filament. I made a phone holder that fits into the cigarette lighter hole. It is not the ideal location for the phone as the shifter blocks most of the view but I am really only using for navigating the crappy traffic here during rush hours.

phone holder

The following 3 users liked this post by wetwolf:
BruceTheQuail (03-01-2024), diablo2112 (03-02-2024), DJS (03-01-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 04:33 PM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
The replacement vents were 'stock' JLR F vents. I did this project a couple of years ago and not expensive at the time.. maybe $47 each ???

The first photo is the OE vent:

The second with more chrome is the replacement. Easy enough to do... just be sure to tie some string to the current/in place units so when you pop the little tangs out, the vent doesn't fall down your bonnet/hood and scratch it.

Just checked Harper Jaguar, where I bought them:... OMG That price really shot up!!!!

https://parts.harperjaguar.com/oem-p...-side-t2r38455

Shot up isn't the word for that!

Old 03-04-2024, 07:40 AM
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Did a few upgrades on my new F-Type.

1. Added wireless Android Auto using a adapter that I plug into a USB port under the arm rest. Connects via Bluetooth and has been seamless every time I start the F-Type. Use the same adapter for my wife's 2020 Subaru Outback. Only issue it can conflict if you try to plug in your phone to the other USB port so you have to turn off your phone's Bluetooth or use the 12-volt if you're trying to charge your phone.

Amazon Amazon

2. Swapped out the nicer Jaguar rubber mats for Weathertech's which is nicer as cover most of the floor space and where a dead pedal should be.

Amazon Amazon

3. For the same Weathertech mats I swapped out their emblem for Jaguar's from Drews Decals. Recommend doing this when the mat is cold and adding a little super glue to adhere the new emblem into the mat as the emblem wasn't sticky enough to hold. Below is a photo of what it looks like.

https://drewsdecals.com/product/jagu...t-domed-badge/

Weathertech mat with Jaguar emblem from Drews Decals.

Old 03-16-2024, 04:20 PM
Received 247 Likes on 130 Posts

Finally finished a project that has been bothering me for a while now. On my passenger seat cushion there was a small pesky scratch, one that no one would ever notice but one that once you notice, that is all you notice. I am sure none of you have ever experienced such a phenomena. After going around several upholstery shops and getting some estimates for a repair I took another route and found two almost new cushions. No doubt you will notice that the new ones have black bolsters which I think looks better with my all tan set up. The interior cushion panels are exactly the same color as the seat backs and the stitching is exactly the same tan color except it did not come out too well in the photo. Needless to say I am delighted. Not sure if this qualifies as an inexpensive upgrade but total cost was $300 (US).

Original Seat

Upgraded seat.

The following 7 users liked this post by GeorgeIII:
2000JagLvr (03-16-2024), Black15FTR (03-21-2024), boomer7 (03-20-2024), diablo2112 (03-17-2024), mvining (03-17-2024), Portlander (03-16-2024), ThunderKitty (03-16-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-16-2024, 06:55 PM
Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts

I like the contrast!

I have a similar issue, on the passenger side, where the carpet should tuck under the center console, you can see the edge of the carpet. Its a significant gap around 5" long. I can't even see it when I'm driving, but I know its there! And anyone getting in on the pass. side will see it.

Last edited by ThunderKitty; 03-16-2024 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:53 PM

Welcome to the club.

Take a picture and perhaps someone here can help you.

Old 03-17-2024, 08:23 PM
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

George, where did you find them?

Old 03-17-2024, 08:42 PM

Mvining,

Junk dealer. Send me a PM and I will provide you with their name and address.

Old 03-18-2024, 05:25 AM
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeIII
Mvining,

Junk dealer. Send me a PM and I will provide you with their name and address.
Not currently on the market. Just interested because I have never run across anything like that for sale. How do you connect with someone like that? Do you search for cars being parted out? Or is it more random, you just gotta know.

Old 03-18-2024, 10:05 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderKitty
I like the contrast!

I have a similar issue, on the passenger side, where the carpet should tuck under the center console, you can see the edge of the carpet. Its a significant gap around 5" long. I can't even see it when I'm driving, but I know its there! And anyone getting in on the pass. side will see it.
I've got a gap at the same spot. Mine is about the 2 1/2 inches long and the gap is maybe about 1/8 inch and it is just forward of the belt buckle. Maybe it is model year specific lol

Old 03-18-2024, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by mvining
Not currently on the market. Just interested because I have never run across anything like that for sale. How do you connect with someone like that? Do you search for cars being parted out? Or is it more random, you just gotta know.
I have been around the Mill a number of more times that I care to remember and there are a number of junk yards around the country, some which specialize on just a few automotive manufacturers. They are now rather sophisticated and tech savvy with excellent pictures and details of the individual part. A number of them are also on EBay. If you need a door, a wiring harness, a water pump in all likelihood they will have it. I have purchased many items for all of my cars this way and I cannot recall ever having an issue. You must do your due diligence of course but they are an excellent source to at least consult if one is looking for a special part. For example, my seat cushions had three excellent photos of each cushion, the Jaguar parts numbers were visible on each and they were packed as if they were Gucci bags. I also called them and they asked me to call back in 10 minutes which I did and then while looking at the cushions they answered a few questions I had. So, a perfect transaction.

Old 03-18-2024, 12:12 PM
Received 89 Likes on 41 Posts
Thumbs up

Looks Great!

Quick Reply: Is there any inexpensive upgrades worth doing to the F Type?