F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is there an official recommendation on break-in period for a new F-type (R)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 04:26 PM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Default is there an official recommendation on break-in period for a new F-type (R)?

i'll admit that i have been remiss in digging through the manual on this, but i know the first thing to do is not charge out to a track day (although, i'm anxiously looking forward to this, so wanting to understand when i would be 'safe').

Old 03-31-2015, 04:29 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

I've seen several members here mention 2500 miles, however I read my manual cover to cover and did not see any mention of a break-in period. I do have a V6S though.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by BierNut
I've seen several members here mention 2500 miles, however I read my manual cover to cover and did not see any mention of a break-in period. I do have a V6S though.
If memory serves me correctly its 2,000 (I don't think the model matters and some will opine that modern engines need no further breaking in, although I have been - for the most part - adhering to the "official" break-in period; I too have a V6S).

Old 03-31-2015, 04:51 PM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by FtypeRRR
i'll admit that i have been remiss in digging through the manual on this, but i know the first thing to do is not charge out to a track day (although, i'm anxiously looking forward to this, so wanting to understand when i would be 'safe').
I read on the F-Type quick guide PDF on-line to stay at or below 4200RPM for first 1200 miles, no track days and be gentle on the brakes. I am holding off on dynamic mode and 'S' mode until after break-in. Most likely the sales-guys or test drives had gone into Dynamic since mine had around 180 miles on it when I bought it. I have an 'R'.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:55 PM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

From Owners Manual Issue 1 from Topix

PARTS AND ACCESSORIESDo not fit non-approved parts andaccessories, or carry out non-approvedalterations or conversions.Your vehicle is not designed for use witha roof rack. Do not fit a roof rack to thevehicle, as damage may result.
AIRBAG SYSTEMThe components that make up theairbag system are sensitive toelectrical or physical interference,either of which could easily damagethe system and cause inadvertentoperation or a malfunction of theairbag module.To prevent malfunction of the airbag system,always consult your Dealer/Authorised Repairerbefore fitting any of the following:• Electronic equipment such as a mobilephone, two-way radio, or in-carentertainment system.• Accessories attached to the front of thevehicle.•Any modification to the front of the vehicle.• Any modification involving the removal orrepair of any wiring or component in thevicinity of any of the airbag systemcomponents, including the steering wheel,steering column, instrument or fasciapanels.• Any modification to the fascia panels orsteering wheel.
ANTI-THEFT SYSTEMNo modifications or additions shouldbe made to the anti-theft system. Suchchanges could cause the system tomalfunction.

RUNNING-INThis vehicle is built using high-precisionmanufacturing methods, but the moving partsof the engine must still bed-in relative to oneanother. The process occurs mainly in the first3 000 km (2 000 miles) of operation.During this Running-in period of 3 000 km(2 000 miles) you should:• Avoid frequent cold starts followed byshort-distance driving.• Preferably take longer trips.• Do not use full throttle during starts andnormal driving.• Avoid continuous operation at high enginespeed and abrupt stops.• Do not participate in track days, sportsdriving schools, or similar.In addition, specifically up to 2 000 km (1 200miles):• Drive at varying engine and road speeds,but do not exceed an engine speed of 4 500rpm (revolutions per minute) and a roadspeed of 170 km/h (105 mph).From 2 000 km (1 200 miles) to 3 000 km(2 000 miles):• Engine and road speeds can be increasedgradually.• Engine speeds in excess of 5 000 rpmshould only be used briefly e.g., whenovertaking.At all times, not just during the Running-inperiod:• Do not exceed 4 000 rpm until the enginehas reached full operating temperature.•Avoid labouring the engine by operating theengine in too high a gear at low speeds.142MaintenanceL

The following 2 users liked this post by DuhCar:
355rockit (03-31-2015), BierNut (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 04:58 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by FtypeRRR
it is in the maintenance section.

BREAKING-IN
Breaking-in period
The following guide-lines will be useful in
obtaining optimum performance from your
new Jaguar. Jaguars are built using
high-precision manufacturing methods but the
moving parts of the engine must still bed in
relative to one another. This process occurs
mainly in the first 2,000 miles (3,000 km) of
operation.
During this Breaking-in period of 2,000 miles
(3,000 km) you should:
• Avoid frequent cold starts followed by
short-distance driving.
• Preferably take longer trips.
• Do not use full throttle during starts and
normal driving.
• Avoid continuous operation at high engine
speed and abrupt stops.
• Do not participate in track days, sports
driving schools or

Old 03-31-2015, 05:45 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

This was a big topic of debate in the Porsche forums too and one interesting thing back then was that the break in recommendations to limit RPM and speed etc for the first 2500 miles or so were apparently only included in the U.S. manual and not the European. As for me, I've generally followed a policy of driving my cars as I normally do but only when the car is truly up to operating temperature. Only thing I really try to avoid in the break in period is very high RPM.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:40 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

I keep the "rip-em's" low (around 4-4.5K); but, I get there rather quickly (not full-throttle) in 1st-2nd (after operating temp is reached) to promote good ring seal. All this especially in the first few miles while at the same time staying off the freeways.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I agree! I drive normally with every new car and have never had a problem. Warm up is important every day but other than that nothing.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
I agree! I drive normally with every new car and have never had a problem. Warm up is important every day but other than that nothing.
Last new vehicle I had was 25 years ago, so I can't remember what I did. How many miles have your engines lasted?