Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things I learned driving a supercar for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts
Default Things I learned driving a supercar for the first time

The F-Type is not in the same class as the McLaren, but some of these points ring true (at least for me):

Things I learned driving a supercar for the first time | The Verge

1. You can’t sleep on parking

Yup, a lot of times I won't drive because I know there will be crappy parking. I live in constant fear of a door ding.

2. You are now a piece of exotic meat

I actually don't mind this too much, I like talking to people about cars. Only time is when this guy chased me down at 100mph to get a close look. His car did not look like it could safely go 100mph.

3. The ground clearance, or lack thereof, is no joke

The nose is culprit. Some places I just won't go to anymore because the driveway is too steep.

4. Other drivers are weirdly nice to you

I can't say that other drivers are nice to me. I don't think they move out of the way or anything like that for me.

5. Being quiet is not an option

Not a problem if I just keep it in "D" mode w/ exhaust off.

6. Everything is terrifying

See parking, ground clearance. I'll add to this vandalism, the fear of. You know, haters gonna hate...

7. It really is a religious experience

I'm not too religious, but it is fun. Makes driving in other cars pretty boring, even very very nice cars.

The following 3 users liked this post by shift:
BierNut (07-27-2015), Mahjik (07-27-2015), plmmd (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 11:50 AM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Excellent and dont forget

9- everyone expects you to race and the percentage goes up to match the diameter of their coffeee can exhaust pipe

Old 07-27-2015, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

I remember Mr Clarkson commenting that he had forgotten to refit the roof on his Ferrari when he left it parked. When he got back he apparently found several passers by had spat into the interior...

Old 07-27-2015, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
I remember Mr Clarkson commenting that he had forgotten to refit the roof on his Ferrari when he left it parked. When he got back he apparently found several passers by had spat into the interior...
My dad, who lived in Europe for a while, commented that in Europe there's a lot more jealousy than in the US. A nice car parked on the street has a good chance at getting vandalized. Of course that's just one guy's dad's observation...that it for what it's worth.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:01 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
My dad, who lived in Europe for a while, commented that in Europe there's a lot more jealousy than in the US. A nice car parked on the street has a good chance at getting vandalized. Of course that's just one guy's dad's observation...that it for what it's worth.
Your dad was absolutely right. Though it varies from country to country, it certainly is the case in France where I lived for 6 years. As a general rule, at least to a much greater extent than here (in the US), success and wealth elicit envy rather than emulation. Instead of "You have X and I don't, so I'll work to get one too," it tends to be "You have X and I don't, so give me my ('fair') share of it." Hence the redistributionist regimes throughout Europe: "Spread the wealth."

But since this is an F-Type forum where we're supposed to avoid politics, I'll just add that in the US you've probably noticed more thumbs up than middle fingers.