F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things to look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 09:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Things to look out for?

Hello all, 1st post. I currently have a 2006 911 C4S cab and looking to get in to something newer. Newer 911's (2017+) prices are a bit nuts right now and tough to even order a new one given demand.

I have come across a 2018 F Type R cab here in Toronto. Although I have been a die hard manual guy I thought this might be a cool car to own for a while - sound and performance look awesome.

I am trying to come up to speed on the car asap as I would like to move quickly. I just joined here and have searched for a "buyers guide" or something equivalent but couldnt find anything. Can someone guide to an appropriate resource or let me know of typical issues I should look out for as I am trying to see the car tomorrow. As an example, doesnt look like the car has been driven for a while and the rotors are slightly rusty; now that doesnt bother me but the rotor looks scored (again tough to tell with pics). The car has 36k kms (22k miles) and are brakes typical replacement items around this mileage? PPI's on Porsches are generally considered a must have (bore scoring in 997's etc) but whats the thoughts on this for the F Type?

Any other help greatly appreciated

Cheers

Old 03-22-2021, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 257 Posts

Issues reported on this forum include:

Cracked cooling system plumbing.

Clogged drain holes in the top storage compartment of vert. Causes top drive issues.

Supercharger torsion coupler noise.

Faulty fuel injectors.

Differential pinion seal leaks.

Engine oil overfill.

I'm sure others may add to this. The above have been reported but doesn't mean they are common.

Make sure whoever you buy it from charges the battery fully. These cars drain batteries if they sit for a long time and that causes all kinds of weird electrical issues.

Last edited by RGPV6S; 03-22-2021 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:02 AM

Many thanks

Old 03-22-2021, 02:29 PM
Received 213 Likes on 126 Posts

Abnormally fast corrosion of the rear subframe is very common due to "Insufficient Zinc-Nickel plating" on the affected components.

At one point there was a service bulletin but this has long since been withdrawn.

I'm not sure if/when the issue was resolved in the manufacturing process - perhaps someone can provide more info?

Old 03-22-2021, 09:17 PM

Thanks Luc. Would be helpful to know in which years this was an issue

Old 03-22-2021, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

I think the supercharger coupling issue was only on earlier models, but am not certain. I think the rear subframe issue was resolved by 2018 also, but again am not sure.

Overall, these cars have proven to be pretty reliable. Also a hoot to drive. Watch out for that.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I think the supercharger coupling issue was only on earlier models, but am not certain. I think the rear subframe issue was resolved by 2018 also, but again am not sure.

Overall, these cars have proven to be pretty reliable. Also a hoot to drive. Watch out for that.
Oh I will, thanks!!

Old 03-23-2021, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,382 Posts

[QUOTE=vern1;2369030]Thanks Luc. Would be helpful to know in which years this was an issue

It was a sort in non-issue in that it was a matter of surface finish rust rather that structural damage.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:03 AM

[QUOTE=sov211;2369072]
Originally Posted by vern1
Thanks Luc. Would be helpful to know in which years this was an issue

It was a sort in non-issue in that it was a matter of surface finish rust rather that structural damage.
Got it, thanks

Old 03-24-2021, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 391 Posts

On brakes, wear depends heavily on how driven. 22k could be low for brakes, others might last a lot longer
As long as it's not the carbon ceramic matrix system (expensive) the others are all standard rotors and pads you get get cheaply and fit yourself or have an Indy do it. Ask them for rotor specs (thickness) and pad remaining for front and rear.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
On brakes, wear depends heavily on how driven. 22k could be low for brakes, others might last a lot longer
As long as it's not the carbon ceramic matrix system (expensive) the others are all standard rotors and pads you get get cheaply and fit yourself or have an Indy do it. Ask them for rotor specs (thickness) and pad remaining for front and rear.
Thanks, went to look at the car and showed them mine, worked out a deal and emailed when I git home to say keys do it. He calls me and say an offer was made 30 mins after I left...
Supply is short here so looks like back to the drawing board. No other f type r's left in Canada

Old 03-25-2021, 09:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

same thing happened to me. literally drove 2 hours to test drive one and as soon as i got back the guy came took the keys and said sorry it sold! these cars especially if well cared for used ones sell instantly. i learned my lesson and found a 2018 with only 2k miles on it several states away. Car was never sold until mid 2019 so had factory warranty till mid 2024. Called them up, it was the owner of the dealerships car that he just never used. I said send me detailed specs, photos everything, but before you do that I am sending a deposit and the car is sold as long as you can get your manager to agree to pay for covered shipping to my address. 4 days later the car was delivered to my driveway. if you find one you really have to jump on it right away!

Old 03-25-2021, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Josiah21
same thing happened to me. literally drove 2 hours to test drive one and as soon as i got back the guy came took the keys and said sorry it sold! these cars especially if well cared for used ones sell instantly. i learned my lesson and found a 2018 with only 2k miles on it several states away. Car was never sold until mid 2019 so had factory warranty till mid 2024. Called them up, it was the owner of the dealerships car that he just never used. I said send me detailed specs, photos everything, but before you do that I am sending a deposit and the car is sold as long as you can get your manager to agree to pay for covered shipping to my address. 4 days later the car was delivered to my driveway. if you find one you really have to jump on it right away!
Glad it worked out. Problem with me was the car had been sitting with them for 9 months! Another salesman saw me testing the car, called some guy he'd been working for weeks and told the guy you better act fast. Sold 30 mins after i left. Was just frustrated given it had been there so long

Going to look at a c7 vette this aft....

Old 03-25-2021, 10:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Glad it worked out. Problem with me was the car had been sitting with them for 9 months! Another salesman saw me testing the car, called some guy he'd been working for weeks and told the guy you better act fast. Sold 30 mins after i left. Was just frustrated given it had been there so long

Going to look at a c7 vette this aft....
wow that sucks that they did that. im really suprised it was sitting for so long. it took me months to even get to test drive the one i did. i called all over the country and was even willing to fly to other states just to test drive one to see if I was really even interested. Every single time it was the same thing and was told it was sold. Good luck with the C7 today!

Old 03-25-2021, 12:08 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Josiah21
wow that sucks that they did that. im really suprised it was sitting for so long. it took me months to even get to test drive the one i did. i called all over the country and was even willing to fly to other states just to test drive one to see if I was really even interested. Every single time it was the same thing and was told it was sold. Good luck with the C7 today!
There is nice white F Type R in Florida at a dealer with Ceramic Brake package if still available.