F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about my first Jaguar...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
No, the year does not matter in terms of reliability. The engines are reliable. The transmission (8 speed ZF) is reliable (and it shifts instantly so I do not understand how it could be faster - and if a shift were faster, what difference would a nano-second make?); the F-Type is a comfortable car even for everyday use; heavy handling?????? that only refers to the V8 RWD - the V6 and V6S are SWEET, and they can get you into trouble in an instant - they have performance that cannot be legally used in the free world.
Now, one thing, and this is not a "Jaguar" thing. It is common to every modern luxury make: these cars are stuffed with electronics and the modules need full battery voltage all the time. When they do not get full voltage odd symptoms can crop up - and it can be anything: warning lights about various systems, touch screen freezing, convertible roof issues...anything. So Jaguar, in common with all the other makes that need full battery voltage for exactly the same reason, market the CTEK battery MAINTAINER (see photos). When the CTEK unit carries the car manufacturer's logo it costs 3x as much (!) but it is the same unit, very often, the basic CTEK unit:.
Okay cool, I was previously looking for a CPO F type but wasn't able to find a good and the one I really wanted got sold. A 2014 f type v6S came in that looks interesting but I am worried about reliability and unexpected repairs. I know the drivetrain in the car is good, but what concerns me is the other stuff like injector failure due to excess rain getting in, catalytic converters failing, etc. It looks like on the newer models like 2019+ they took some steps to address some of these issues, but I am not sure how common these issues are on the earlier models or if it is even something to be concerned about. Some of those repairs look quite expensive.

Regarding the battery, how long can they sit without charge before things start going bad? Does parking it outside cause more issues?

Old 02-27-2023, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

In terms of battery, I can go weeks with no issue. I went on a three week vacation and when I came home, it fired up with no problem with all the rains we have had out here lately, I went a couple weeks without driving and no issues. Usually the battery problems revolve around an odbII session left open.

As for the v6 being more nimble on lighter than the v8, I don't agree. The v6 has the same block, just with two cylinders blanked off. It's the same transmission, the same oil pan, the same block, etc. I drove both the v6 and v8 and the difference I noticed was a lot more power in the v8. If you want a stick, you have to go with a v6, but the 6MT is rare. I like the v6 exhaust more as it harkens back to the E-Type, but I do really like the quad pipes of the V8.

The following users liked this post:
scm (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
I have owned a Porsche, but it was a 928 S4 and all the air cooled guys hated it, which made me love it more.

I have a 2017 SVR, one of my best friends has a 2020 C4S. There are many areas where the Porsche is better and many where the Jag is better.

First, the C4S is way more practice. The front trunk is actually a decent size and the rear seats and shelfs can hold more, too. The Jag has ZERO room behind the seats, and you are going to have the seats all the way back. There's a trick to getting more legroom in the Jag, you have to move the seats forward a little, then down and then you get a couple extra inches. I can't explain why, it just works. This allowed my 6'7" friend to drive my car.

The C4S has WAY more technology and a better sound system. It's not even close. You can improve the infotainment system (Car Play wasn't even an option until 2018 and didn't really get good until 2020). I added an aftermarket Android Auto integration to mine and it works better than I would have hoped. Completely wireless and I installed it myself in a couple of hours. IF I were to install another one, I would have it done in probably 20 minutes as I now know all the tricks.

The F-Type has one of the best sounding exhausts on the market. I know that is subjective, by the only cars that come close, imo, are the Maserati GranTurismo (sounds better than a Ferrari even though it is a Ferrari engine). Don't underestimate the power of the exhaust. It makes me happy every day.

Styling you already covered. I think the Aston Martin Vantage looks a little better, but it's close.

F-Types are much rarer than 911s. This is good an bad. I'll see 911s every day. I'll see another F-Type maybe once a month, if that. I like that.

Power delivery goes to the F-Type, but not by much. The F-Type feels more raw and on demand. The Porsche's twin turbos spool up quickly and it's impressive. I trust a supercharger a lot more than I trust two turnbos.

Handling: They are both very good. The 911 a little better, but I think that's due to the computer control.

It's been my experience that the 911 crowd looks down their noses at the F-Type. They still see Jaguar as your father's or grandfather's car and talk about reliability problems from the age of Lucas electronics. Oddly enough, I get the same general feel from the Corvette crowd. In either case, if you don't have the same car as them, you are a step down.

If you get the F-Type, you will have people question your decision and tell you you could have had a <insert other car here> for the same money. Mind you, most of these people have never driven an F-Type. You will also frequently have people ask you about it at gas stations, parking lots and red lights. I de-badged my first one and barely anyone knew what it was. I actually showed up to an Aston-Martin event and the parking guy directed me to park with the Aston Martins. I like the F-Type enough that I bought two ( I switched up to a convertible now that I work from home). I did this eyes wide open, knowing that pretty much every competitor to it is a 'better' car. I shopped the Maserati, the AMG GT, the BMW M850, the RS5, the AM Vantage and even the Camaro ZR1. In the end, the Jag just does it for me. I can't fault anyone for buying any of the other cars. If I were driving I-5 everyday, I probably would have gotten then M850 or the AMG GT. The AMG GT was the closest to the feel of the F-Type in my book and was very enticing.

Anyway, let us know which way you go. If you go with the 911, be sure to say hi when you come across an F-Type owner. We love talking honestly about our cars and are intrigued by others.
I am finding the Porsche-Jag comparisons on this thread and the "stopped lurking and took delivery of today of an R" thread, particularly timely, as I just was torched on a Porsche forum for owning a Jag F type. I will hopefully soon be the owner of both (a Panamera 4S). It stays glued to the road. I won't give up my F type though. My son just bought a used Panamera 4S and said, it doesn't thrill like the Jag but you look down and you're doing 90. They're different animals. You need to get into the turbo's and turbo S models to get the HP and exhaust thrill. One thing about 911's though, most hold their value better than F types. The F type is its own car and its beauty and ferocity is undeniable. I do have to say that Porsche's look better to me styling wise in person. I think they also have the best gloss black wheels I've seen.

Last edited by jaguny; 03-01-2023 at 04:49 AM.
Old 03-01-2023, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

As far as reliability concerns go, I don't own an F type, however, I do own a 5.0L XKR (same engine as F type R), so there is some relevance. Next week I will hit the 200,000 mile milestone, and without any doubt, this is the finest, MOST RELIABLE automobile I have or will ever have owned in the 55 years I've been driving. It's been tracked many dozens of times, never babied, and so good that I will never part with it. As I've told the story many times, I could easily part with my incredible De Tomaso Pantera, but will never get rid of my XKR. If truth be told, the XKR was so good, that it forced me to make the Pantera a better car, one that I could actually drive on a regular basis which is something I couldn't do for the first 18 years of my ownership. Although I will never part with the XKR, I am finding myself wanting to someday add an F-type coupe to my garage as ICE cars, especially ones with big, brawny V8s come to an end. Have no fear, reliability will be surprisingly good. Enjoy!

The following 4 users liked this post by tberg:
Craaaazzy (03-01-2023), DJS (03-01-2023), Golfnutjtl (03-04-2023), scm (03-01-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 03:22 PM
Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm sure I should have read through all of the posts on this thread before responding but, as a lifelong Jaguar owner, I simply scrolled to the bottom and clicked "Quick Reply". Buy an F-Type. You will thank everyone that has cared to respond on this thread later. I have a '22 Type R and I would would run out of things to say about how fantastic it is and how many compliments I get from other exotic (and not so exotic) car owners...day in and day out. It's a Jaaag, man! My only fear is that in 2 years time...Jaguar will simply be another Tesla-mobile. BUT, so will all the others that are on your list. My 2 cents...which in USD is more like 1.2 cents--accounting for inflation.

The following 2 users liked this post by KalamazooJag:
Golfnutjtl (03-04-2023), sov211 (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Agreed. The F-Type is a unique combination of elegant beauty (elegance is simplicity, something that designers of other makes have rarely understood), performance, handling, comfort, owner satisfaction, and “class”. Oh…and they are every bit as reliable as cars which have only some (and in some cases none) of the above.

Last edited by sov211; 03-05-2023 at 11:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Golfnutjtl (03-04-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 04:37 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Jaguar's advertising slogan used to be "grace, pace and space" and the F-type definitely ticks two of those boxes!