F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those oil inquiring minds

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 04:28 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default For those oil inquiring minds

Here’s what the JLR dealer is putting into F-Types here in Sin City.

Old 05-04-2024, 04:48 PM
Received 197 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Please pardon my lack of knowledge....

I have never heard of this brand. I did a quick search. Here are two results.
I would never put this into my engine knowing that there are other top name brands available.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/th...-anyone.282819/

https://www.fvpparts.com/products/fl...ynthetic-dexos

Old 05-04-2024, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Turko
I have never heard of this brand. I did a quick search. Here are two results.
I would never put this into my engine knowing that there are other top name brands available.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/th...-anyone.282819/

https://www.fvpparts.com/products/fl...ynthetic-dexos

I received my final “complimentary” oil change today and I asked if I could see what they used and they brought me the empty bottle, and I kept it, since I had never heard of it before. Presuming it’s the cheapest oil they can get that meets the requirements 🥴

Old 05-04-2024, 06:33 PM
Received 197 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Blacks18 ......

You experienced the same situation I experienced approx 6 years ago.

I purchased my 2017 Jaguar F-Type R sports car from the dealer new. As you know the dealership provides the scheduled free oil change once a year. On one occasion I found myself waiting in the customer waiting room while my car was having its oil changed. I needed my cell phone and I realized that I left my cell phone inside my car. So I went to the service manager and I told the manager I needed to go into the service department to retrieve my cell phone from my car. He gave me permission to walk into the service department where the mechanics are working, specifically the one mechanic working on my car changing the oil. When I was walking toward my car and getting closer and closer, I could see the mechanic had lined up several bottles, individual bottles of motor oil to pour into my car's engine. As I walked up to the engine bay area I immediately noticed the type of oil that was being put into my car. It was NAPA brand motor oil. I confronted the young technician and I asked him what are you doing He said I'm putting this inside your engine to change the oil. I also realize that he was almost done pouring the NAPA brand motor oil into my engine. I freaked out on the guy. I told him why are you putting garbage oil into my car. The young technician who I do not fault told me, this is what they gave me at the parts department and told me to use this motor oil for the oil change. My blood pressure went through the roof I immediately confronted the service manager and I told the service manager let's take a walk to my car I need to show you something. When we got to my car in the service Bay I asked the service manager what the hell's going on and why you putting garbage oil into my engine. He told me, they ran out of the approved Castrol motor oil and therefore they were using the lower quality motor oil but he said it's not a big deal. I demanded that the NAPA BRAND MOTOR OIL, be drained out of my car and I demanded the approved Castrol motor oil be installed into my engine as part of the oil change. Several people who work at the dealership were scrambling in the service department in a panic trying to figure out how to resolve this problem. Within 10 minutes miraculously the service department was able to find the approved Castrol motor oil which happens to be in the individual 1 qt size bottles. I stood there next to my car and I personally witnessed the young service technician pour the approved Castro motor oil into my engine one by one until it was at the proper oil level. The point of my story which I've never told on this message board in over 6 years, if I didn't have the need to retrieve my cell phone from my car I would have never never known that they put garbage motor oil into my engine. It was only because I had to get my cell phone from my car that I was able to see what's actually taking place at the service department. If they did this to me they're doing it to everyone else. This is what dealerships do to their customers. They give you the shaft and you don't even know it. They smile at you and send you on your way. So my friend, you happen to be in Arizona, and they did the same thing to you. They put garbage motor oil into your car.

PS after that incident, the entire service department labeled me as the a-hole customer who caused a commotion because of an oil change. How do I know this, it's because I befriended one of the service advisors and he was honest enough to tell me what the other employees were saying about me whenever I would show up for service of my car. I was the A-hole customer. Ask me if I give a damn what they say about me. The bottom line I cold busted them putting cheap oil into my car and then I had them remove it and put the proper oil into the engine..

Last edited by Turko; 05-04-2024 at 06:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Valerie Stabenow (05-04-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 07:35 PM
Received 308 Likes on 199 Posts
Default FVP inexpensive car supplies for the masses

My JLR dealer buys Castrol in bulk, so when I wanted to buy some, didn't work out. Used the wisdom of this forum to go the LiquiMoly route. Have owned about 15 cars and ALWAYS used a top quality brand and when I decided to start doing the oil changes on the F, wasn't going to take any chances with anything less.
The FVP story is obscene! I wouldn't care either, what the techs think. If they're that ignorant to think crap oil is OK, then I'd wonder what other idiocies are going on.

Old 05-04-2024, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Turko
You experienced the same situation I experienced approx 6 years ago.

I purchased my 2017 Jaguar F-Type R sports car from the dealer new. As you know the dealership provides the scheduled free oil change once a year. On one occasion I found myself waiting in the customer waiting room while my car was having its oil changed. I needed my cell phone and I realized that I left my cell phone inside my car. So I went to the service manager and I told the manager I needed to go into the service department to retrieve my cell phone from my car. He gave me permission to walk into the service department where the mechanics are working, specifically the one mechanic working on my car changing the oil. When I was walking toward my car and getting closer and closer, I could see the mechanic had lined up several bottles, individual bottles of motor oil to pour into my car's engine. As I walked up to the engine bay area I immediately noticed the type of oil that was being put into my car. It was NAPA brand motor oil. I confronted the young technician and I asked him what are you doing He said I'm putting this inside your engine to change the oil. I also realize that he was almost done pouring the NAPA brand motor oil into my engine. I freaked out on the guy. I told him why are you putting garbage oil into my car. The young technician who I do not fault told me, this is what they gave me at the parts department and told me to use this motor oil for the oil change. My blood pressure went through the roof I immediately confronted the service manager and I told the service manager let's take a walk to my car I need to show you something. When we got to my car in the service Bay I asked the service manager what the hell's going on and why you putting garbage oil into my engine. He told me, they ran out of the approved Castrol motor oil and therefore they were using the lower quality motor oil but he said it's not a big deal. I demanded that the NAPA BRAND MOTOR OIL, be drained out of my car and I demanded the approved Castrol motor oil be installed into my engine as part of the oil change. Several people who work at the dealership were scrambling in the service department in a panic trying to figure out how to resolve this problem. Within 10 minutes miraculously the service department was able to find the approved Castrol motor oil which happens to be in the individual 1 qt size bottles. I stood there next to my car and I personally witnessed the young service technician pour the approved Castro motor oil into my engine one by one until it was at the proper oil level. The point of my story which I've never told on this message board in over 6 years, if I didn't have the need to retrieve my cell phone from my car I would have never never known that they put garbage motor oil into my engine. It was only because I had to get my cell phone from my car that I was able to see what's actually taking place at the service department. If they did this to me they're doing it to everyone else. This is what dealerships do to their customers. They give you the shaft and you don't even know it. They smile at you and send you on your way. So my friend, you happen to be in Arizona, and they did the same thing to you. They put garbage motor oil into your car.

PS after that incident, the entire service department labeled me as the a-hole customer who caused a commotion because of an oil change. How do I know this, it's because I befriended one of the service advisors and he was honest enough to tell me what the other employees were saying about me whenever I would show up for service of my car. I was the A-hole customer. Ask me if I give a damn what they say about me. The bottom line I cold busted them putting cheap oil into my car and then I had them remove it and put the proper oil into the engine..
Thats crazy, can’t believe what these dealers get away with! Fortunately my car only gets driven about 2-3k miles a year, so more than likely I’ll just change this stuff out myself in a year….with a more reputable oil….any harm in waiting…Thoughts?

Old 05-05-2024, 04:41 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
The FVP story is obscene! I wouldn't care either, what the techs think. If they're that ignorant to think crap oil is OK, then I'd wonder what other idiocies are going on.
That's why I use a trusted independent who really knows his stuff and values his customers. He told me "it takes years to build a reputation and minutes to lose one".

jcb-memphis (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 398 Posts

@Turko just explained why customers are not allowed in the dealership service area!

The following 4 users liked this post by Carbuff2:
jcb-memphis (05-05-2024), SouthSider (05-05-2024), Supersprint Sport Exhausts (05-05-2024), Turko (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Received 257 Likes on 130 Posts

A long time ago the dealer told me they change the oil brand on a business cycle scale...bulk, huge drums, etc. Just a business. Have seen it all over the years....some brands of oil just seem to have better regional reps than others, etc. Dealers change over time but contracts don't...or megadealers don't want to have one oil per brand they carry ....etc.

Ironically, the IL6a is good stuff.....
https://totalenergies-eng.prowly.com...or-engine-oils

No more from me as an oil thread is not needed.

I do my own changes with crazy good stuff every 3-5k and just enjoy spoiling the car - yes, it is wasting dollars possibly and I don't care.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 05-05-2024 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:23 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

My dealer uses bulk Castrol oil from a drum. I assume it is the correct JLR spec oil. When my 2021 F Type was approaching the 2500 mile mark I wanted to drain the factory fill oil myself and replace it along with the filter. I went to their parts department and bought enough of the Castrol Edge Professional EC5 0W-20 oil to do the change. It was in 1 quart bottles.

Last May when I took the car in for the scheduled service and free oil change I wanted to buy a quart of oil to have on hand. They sold me Castrol Edge Professional 0W-20 but it was not the special EC5 formula but was instead the VW 508/509 Formula. And it came in a 1 liter bottle instead of 1 quart.

I sent a sample of the virgin VW approved oil to Blackstone labs for analysis and compared it to a sample of the factory fill oil that I had take around the 2750 mile mark. The VW 508/509 oil contained much higher than averages amounts of Platinum Titanium and much lower amounts of Molybdenum. In fact the PPM readings of all ingredients was close enough to the previous JLR approved oil that I had sampled to be considered the same. The service advisor told me that they were using the VW approved oil as the Castrol Edge Professional EC5 oil that JLR had Castrol brew for them was no longer available. And that seems to be the case.

I'll be taking the car in later this month for the scheduled maintenance again. Before they start I'll ask what kind of oil they are putting in all those Jags and Land Rovers that come through their service department. Whatever it is, it had better be equivalent to the EC5 or VW 508/509 oils. The takeaway seems to be that JLR's engineers don't feel high PPM's of Molybdenum are important but a lot of Platinum Titanium is. And while there are a lot of very good synthetic 0W-20 oils out there, I get a feeling there aren't many with similar formulas containing those two ingredients. I'm sticking with the approved oils only.

Last edited by Dwight Frye; 05-06-2024 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-05-2024, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
My dealer uses bulk Castrol oil from a drum. I assume it is the correct JLR spec oil. When my 2021 F Type was approaching the 2500 mile mark I wanted to drain the factory fill oil myself and replace it along with the filter. I went to their parts department and bought enough of the Castrol Edge Professional EC5 0W-20 oil to do the change. It was in 1 quart bottles.

Last May when I took the car in for the scheduled service and free oil change I wanted to buy a quart of oil to have on hand. They sold me Castrol Edge Professional 0W-20 but it was not the special EC5 formula but was instead the VW 508/509 Formula. And it came in a 1 liter bottle instead of 1 quart.

I sent a sample of the virgin VW approved oil to Blackstone labs for analysis and compared it to a sample of the factory fill oil that I had take around the 2750 mile mark. The VW 508/509 oil contained much higher than averages amounts of Platinum and much lower amounts of Molybdenum. In fact the PPM readings of all ingredients was close enough to the previous JLR approved oil that I had sampled to be considered the same. The service advisor told me that they were using the VW approved oil as the Castrol Edge Professional EC5 oil that JLR had Castrol brew for them was no longer available. And that seems to be the case.

I'll be taking the car in later this month for the scheduled maintenance again. Before they start I'll ask what kind of oil they are putting in all those Jags and Land Rovers that come through their service department. Whatever it is, it had better be equivalent to the EC5 or VW 508/509 oils. The takeaway seems to be that JLR's engineers don't feel high PPM's of Molybdenum are important but a lot of Platinum is. And while there are a lot of very good synthetic 0W-20 oils out there, I get a feeling there aren't many with similar formulas containing those two ingredients. I'm sticking with the approved oils only.
Are you sure you aren't confusing platinum with titanium????
Coz all the blurb about the special Castrol Unobtainium rabbits on about high levels of titanium and doesn't mention platinum at all.
Also most other high-end oils have high levels of molybdenum and little or no titanium, and as I commented elsewhere some three or four years ago the only explanation I could find from JLR as to why the recommended Castrol Unobtainium has high titanium but low moly is they claim that moly doesn't play nice with JLR cat converters, which I call BS on coz I have always and only ever used engine oils with high levels of moly and had zero engine or cat converter problems!

Old 05-06-2024, 08:32 AM

Yes OzXFR I typed Platinum when I meant Titanium. I fixed it in my post above.
That's what I get for typing a message before my second cup of coffee in the morning. Thanks for catching it.

It's interesting the the oil specification for VW and Porsche is as identical to the Jaguar Land Rover STJLR.03.5006 specification as possible. It would be interesting to see what the engineers from those factories say are the reasons for the high Titanium content requirements are. If they have said anything at all.

Last edited by Dwight Frye; 05-06-2024 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:15 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
…That's what I get for typing a message before my second cup of coffee in the morning.
Maybe your coffee had the wrong additive package.

Dwight Frye (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 09:29 AM

I wonder if caffeine as an oil additive would help with cold starts in the morning ???

Carbuff2 (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 08:04 PM
Received 308 Likes on 199 Posts
Default The Blackstone Lab report

A few weeks ago I did my first oil change outside of dealer. Mityvac and LiquiMoly got the job done. Sent a sample in to Blackstone Labs along with some questions. Interesting commentary back.. including their assessment of the viscosity at 5W30 rather than what is spec'd 0W20.

Attached Thumbnails For those oil inquiring minds-blackstonejpg.jpg