F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those with a Solid supercharger coupler - does it cause extra noise ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 04:45 PM
Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Default For those with a Solid supercharger coupler - does it cause extra noise ???

Hi, looking to get the original OEM coupler replaced with a solid coupler soon.
My mechanic says that this can cause chirping noises. Does anyone who has a solid coupler have any advice or experience with this issue ??? I'm tempted to do anyways as cant find anyone complaining about it on the net so presumably quite rare

Old 01-17-2022, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Borbor
Hi, looking to get the original OEM coupler replaced with a solid coupler soon.
My mechanic says that this can cause chirping noises. Does anyone who has a solid coupler have any advice or experience with this issue ??? I'm tempted to do anyways as cant find anyone complaining about it on the net so presumably quite rare
Yes I have read that a solid coupler can be noisy but checking just now I can't find anything about it.
Apparently the spring in the OEM coupler is to reduce or eliminate "rebound" when suddenly lifting off the go pedal and as a solid coupler doesn't have this spring the SC drive shaft can rebound a little. That said I have never seen or read of any proof of this.
I have checked Fleabay regularly for new solid couplers and the best quality one at a reasonable price I have found is this one from Powerhouse UK: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/164371384429

Old 01-18-2022, 12:54 PM
Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts

I don't have any chirping.

Old 01-18-2022, 04:54 PM

thanks for the replies , my mechanic also suggested powerhouse so will go that route. Actually wanted the eaton but cant bear to pay over $100 postage fee for a $60 part

Old 01-18-2022, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

thanks for the replies , my mechanic also suggested powerhouse so will go that route. Actually wanted the eaton but cant bear to pay over $100 postage fee for a $60 part
You say "my mechanic".
Pray tell, who is that? I may need some engine work on the F-Type in future.
I have searched all over Adelaide for a decent mechanic who really knows modern Jags and especially the F-Type and I have found only one so far, the blokes at Triumph Rover Spares (that is where I am going next Tuesday for some work on the F-Type).
Problem is they are out at Lonsdale which is the complete other side of town from me (Mawson Lakes) so it's a crappy long drive through the entire length of Adelaide to get there.
And forget about Solitaire Motors the only official JLR dealership within 700 km, their service is crap and their prices are exorbitant!

Old 01-19-2022, 03:03 AM

Oz , I’m going to sovereign auto repairs in Kent town. Only been there a couple of times with no complaints. Next month getting them to also change all the coolant pipes, and the dreaded since you are the might as well do the coupler, fuel pump,My big service due too so new spark plugs , supercharger belt etc so will be $$$ for me .

The following users liked this post:
OzXFR (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 03:18 AM
Veteran Member

Oz , I’m going to sovereign auto repairs in Kent town. Only been there a couple of times with no complaints. Next month getting them to also change all the coolant pipes, and the dreaded since you are the might as well do the coupler, fuel pump,My big service due too so new spark plugs , supercharger belt etc so will be $$$ for me .
Yep, I know of them.
I had the impression they were more into the older Jags so good to know they can handle newer ones like the F-Type.
I am going to Triumph Rover Spares next Tuesday for three things - fitting my brand new flat-bottomed steering wheel, getting the diff fluid replaced, and most likely the spark plugs replaced. I already have all the parts so it will be labour only. I use them because I have have good service from them in the past on all three of my Jags, their mechanics know their stuff, and their prices are reasonable. I suggest you consider getting Sovereign to replace the diff fluid in your car while they are at it, you want a one litre bottle of Motul Gear 300 LS unless they have the Unobtainium Castrol BOT 720!

Old 01-19-2022, 10:17 AM
Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I called Powerhouse a few months back about a service kit. They either said they don't sell the solid coupler anymore or they said they don't recommend it. I can't remember exactly why, he did say. They stated to go with the OEM coupler from Eaton.

Relevant Topic:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...recall-249262/

Old 01-19-2022, 10:33 AM
Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts

I don't see why they would recommend the oem coupler, as the spring overtime starts to dig into the shaft. I've ran the solid coupler on my 93k miles R(hard miles), and never had an issue. That's why it's the first thing I do on my svr. One thing I did notice was much better throttle response with the solid coupler.

Old 01-19-2022, 10:46 AM
Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

It was bugging me so I called them back up a few minutes ago.

Here are the two reasons mentioned:

1) There is a small chance that on some superchargers the rattle will still be there or come back sooner than expected
2) The solid coupler causes the bearings on the rotor pack to wear prematurely

He said he was still trying to figure out the link and until he can, he recommends the OEM sprung coupler.

He said there was no exact science to it as he's seen failed supercharges with as little as 17k on them and some have lasted until 90k.

The following users liked this post:
DJS (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

I've had the solid coupler on mine now for about 7k miles and almost 2 years and have not noticed any noise or other issues. In fact, it got rid of the shut-down clunk when turning the engine off. I know 7k miles isn't much to really tell anything so take it for what's worth.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:00 PM

I might be at the start of getting the SC rattle so will change for a solid coupler. The choice was either the solid coupler for <$100AUD or go OEM for $1200AUD (brand new snout as jag will not sell coupler by itself for years now apparently) and then labour cost on top of that. Who knows what they will find when they get it apart and may end up with new snout anyways.
Thanks to everyone for their replies. Will post back in 6-12 months with any issues I notice.

Old 01-20-2022, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member

I might be at the start of getting the SC rattle so will change for a solid coupler. The choice was either the solid coupler for <$100AUD or go OEM for $1200AUD (brand new snout as jag will not sell coupler by itself for years now apparently) and then labour cost on top of that. Who knows what they will find when they get it apart and may end up with new snout anyways.
Thanks to everyone for their replies. Will post back in 6-12 months with any issues I notice.
You should also consider getting the Powerhouse rebuild kit for half the price of the OEM kit, with free postage to boot, see here: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/15480454...YAAOSwtrJbPPM6