F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on trading f-type for the upcoming Zo6

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Question Thoughts on trading f-type for the upcoming Zo6

I love my 2014 base v6 f-type, but I seem to have a problem holding onto a car for more than 2 years (owned 9 cars in the past 10 years). The F-type is a great combo of comfort/sport/luxury and I get tons of compliments. I have never been a fan of previous Vettes, but the C7 is in a totally different league compared to its predecessors.

Curious to see what you guy think about trading in my F-type (paid off) next spring for the 2015 Zo6. I only need to have one sports car. (my daily driver is a Hummer H2). I like the fact that the new Zo6 has a removable roof (giving me some open air driving options), insane power and a very exotic look.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by doctordeuce
I love my 2014 base v6 f-type, but I seem to have a problem holding onto a car for more than 2 years (owned 9 cars in the past 10 years). The F-type is a great combo of comfort/sport/luxury and I get tons of compliments. I have never been a fan of previous Vettes, but the C7 is in a totally different league compared to its predecessors.

Curious to see what you guy think about trading in my F-type (paid off) next spring for the 2015 Zo6. I only need to have one sports car. (my daily driver is a Hummer H2). I like the fact that the new Zo6 has a removable roof (giving me some open air driving options), insane power and a very exotic look.
Isn't this a totally personal choice?
The R is a lot faster than your current F type..however if you like a total change, go for the Vet ?? What could anyone say?
Lawrence

Old 09-10-2014, 09:30 PM

I do know it's my choice. I guess the reason I like to switch out and try multiple cars out is cause life is too damn short and I like to sample. I have thought about trading for the R or even the eventual RS, but with my current car being paid off, it would feel strange paying an additional 30-40k for a model upgrade. As for the Zo6, I would be happy to get the base 1LZ trim package, and then add a Corsa Xtreme exhaust to it. Before taces, that would run approx. $81,000 which a crazy value for the performance and not much extra $ to pony up.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:45 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by doctordeuce

I'm thinking the same thing, but I have an R Coupe to trade. Also, my wife had a H2, which I wound up trading for an Infiniti FX45, which was traded for a Range Rover Sport Supercharged. Also thinking about a Challenger Hellcat.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:45 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I can understand doing that. IMHO the only two sports cars under $100,000 worth getting are the new vette or F-Type. I went with the F Type because the Vette is too flashy for me, and the Vette is really low to the ground and I worry it'll scrape a lot. But the Vette is pretty bad*ss.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:56 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't know about your area, but here in metro Atlanta even the new Corvettes hardly get a second look by anybody. If it's pure performance you want, go with the Zo6. Everybody around here is looking for something more exotic than Corvettes. After seeing some of what you have had in your garage will you be satisfied for long with a Chevrolet even if it is a lot of performance for the money? I personally would go for the R, but I understand the money factor. A lot of us here on this site own Jaguars and a big reason is because they are rare, and you don't see them everywhere.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:01 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Both great cars. The new Z06 is definitely raising the performance bar. IMO the F-type is more special and, well, a Vette is a Vette. On a strict performance level the Vette wins. The Vette is more of a red neck car compared to the F-type. In a street race I'd rather be in the Vette but driving to the country club I'd rather take the F-type.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:03 PM
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

I'll be curious to see the ZO6, but I've driven the standard C7 many times and while the interior is leaps and bounds ahead of previous models, the fit and finish is a long way behind Jaguar. The power of the ZO6 will be immense though, the standard model is pretty strong on its own.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:10 PM

I totally agree that most perceptions are that Corvette (and even greater degree Mustang/Camaro) are red neck cars. The Jag has waaay more cache than a Vette, with part of that being price point, since my base F-type and the soon to be top of the line Z06 are priced about the same.

Last winter I went to a Chevy dealer with my Jag and sat in the new C7 just to experience it for myself. The F-type fit/finish/feel was superior.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Are you sure a V06 could beat a V8S in performance? I don't know the answer just curious.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:14 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by v8cat
I don't know about your area, but here in metro Atlanta even the new Corvettes hardly get a second look by anybody. If it's pure performance you want, go with the Zo6. Everybody around here is looking for something more exotic than Corvettes. After seeing some of what you have had in your garage will you be satisfied for long with a Chevrolet even if it is a lot of performance for the money? I personally would go for the R, but I understand the money factor. A lot of us here on this site own Jaguars and a big reason is because they are rare, and you don't see them everywhere.
I feel the same. In So Cal, big city area (and you are in Chicago so much the same) the Corvette is on every other street. I owned a C6 and traded it in on the F Type. The vettes are everywhere here and, sure, they get a glance. The F type gets a full turn around. I see about 1 other F type every 2 weeks.

Now you don't buy a car to get attention, but I still feel the F it is the whole package. The Z06 is a beast and if you want that it will run circles around the F Type base. But, I have to say, the F Type is pure classy, flashy and fast too LOL

Old 09-10-2014, 10:26 PM

Here in the north shore of Chicago, the sports/sporty cars seen most often are 911s (yawn), Mercedes SL (tons of them), Panameras, A5/A7. It seems that most vehicles (I'd say 70%) on the roads around here over 50K are SUVs.

C6 Corvettes look like crap IMO, which further adds to the Corvette in general not getting many looks. Older generation Vettes like the original Stingray are giving cred as a nice looking ride, but C5 and now C6 Vettes can be had for the cheap and look even worse next to the new C7. The 911 and SL on the other hand have not changed much at all over the past 10 years in the eyes of the general public, which makes those brands maintain a higher status.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A vette is quite fun and a great car to rent for a few days of fun thats about it. There is nothing unique about it and I can see 10 just driving across town to get lunch. The f type is more rare and unique and IMO more fun to drive.

Maybe look into getting a membership to a local exotic car club where you can take a wide variety of cars anytime you want. I had a membership to a couple of them when I lived in nyc and it was quite fun.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:37 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lunagry
Are you sure a V06 could beat a V8S in performance? I don't know the answer just curious.

A new C7 Z06 should be able to run the 1/4 mile in low 11s, easily. I'd guess it's .5 to .8 faster than the V8S in the 1/4.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Totally different cars. The C7 Z06 will be a monster. Will absolutely destroy every sports car out there except a handful of hypercars (918, P1, etc.). If you track your car or just want the satisfaction of having a fast car, the Z06 is a no brainer. That or the GTR Nismo in the ~$100K range. But with the Z06/GTR you lose

1) looks (I know, subjective)
2) uniqueness/rarity (terms of units sold and brand uniqueness/rarity)
3) brand prestige/class

Boils down to how much you value outright performance over these other things. Personally, no matter how fast the GTR is I can't overlook these factors and probably will never get a GTR. I do like the way the C7 looks for the most part (except tail lights) so the thought of getting one has crossed my mind. But C7s will be too common in 1 or 2 years so that pulls me back.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:16 AM

There is another option I have been considering...

Keep enjoying my F-type through 2015 (and really have some fun with it, driving to the east coast and maybe even down to Florida to visit family next summer).

Then, in 2016 (which it would have approx. 20-25k miles on it), trade it in for:

1.) The next Acura NSX. (It should be under 120k). High tech, mid-engine, high reliability, should be a very nice interior.

0r..

2.) The upcoming Maserati Alfieri (the highest of the 3 trims offered will be a 520 HP AWD V6). Price range should be @ 105k since it will slot below the next Granturismo. It will rival the F-type coupe for sheer beauty and should be Maserati's best attempt at an everyday sportscar and should be a special machine with Maserati celebrating their 100th anniversary.

I think the right choice is to sit back and enjoy the Jag and then see what the 2 aforementioned cars will bring to the table when revealed.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:18 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i purchased my v8s because i couldn't wait till may of 2015 for my Z06, I'm #12 in line for my local dealer. 2 completely different cars in my opinion. I'm kind of old fashioned so its going to be a hardtop with a stick for me

Old 09-11-2014, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member

Just google Maserati Alfieri. Wow, that thing looks exactly like an F-Type Coupe! But I guess you get the 2+2 configuration. For some people that's a plus but I actually prefer 2 seater (you know, just me and my playboy supermodel mistress).

I just don't trust Honda to make anything that screams "WOW". It'll probably be an amazing car especially with all the tech but Hondas are a little bland IMO. In 1-2 years you probably can get a AMG GT for $100K.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:27 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
Totally different cars. The C7 Z06 will be a monster. Will absolutely destroy every sports car out there except a handful of hypercars (918, P1, etc.). If you track your car or just want the satisfaction of having a fast car, the Z06 is a no brainer. That or the GTR Nismo in the ~$100K range. But with the Z06/GTR you lose

1) looks (I know, subjective)
2) uniqueness/rarity (terms of units sold and brand uniqueness/rarity)
3) brand prestige/class

Boils down to how much you value outright performance over these other things. Personally, no matter how fast the GTR is I can't overlook these factors and probably will never get a GTR. I do like the way the C7 looks for the most part (except tail lights) so the thought of getting one has crossed my mind. But C7s will be too common in 1 or 2 years so that pulls me back.

You could also add build quality to that list as well. I doubt the C7 Z06 build quality will be anywhere near the F-Type's.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by myidsucks
You could also add build quality to that list as well. I doubt the C7 Z06 build quality will be anywhere near the F-Type's.
Maybe I'm just not that picky, but I've never really been bothered by "build quality". Interior design/aesthetics I think the Jag wins, but if you like the way the C7's interior looks, I don't really see an build quality issue. 650 HP and 650 lb-ft torque in 3600 lb makes up for some build quality I suppose

Quick Reply: Thoughts on trading f-type for the upcoming Zo6