F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the V6AWD (vs RWD). Unnecessary Extra Weight?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 03:58 AM
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Thoughts on the V6AWD (vs RWD). Unnecessary Extra Weight?

I test drove a V6S AWD on the weekend and was left thinking that I preferred the RWD and that the extra 80KG of weight (as I recall) just got in the way for no added benefit, and certainly not worth the added expense. Perhaps if I lived in a place with snow I may think differently. Am I missing something?

The following users liked this post:
Chawumba (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew0068
I test drove a V6S AWD on the weekend and was left thinking that I preferred the RWD and that the extra 80KG of weight (as I recall) just got in the way for no added benefit, and certainly not worth the added expense. Perhaps if I lived in a place with snow I may think differently. Am I missing something?
Not at all. Even at 450+hp, the beast is very manageable, particularly if you know the throttle is not an on off switch. I drive my car in all conditions (temp/precipitation) except when there’s snow or ice on the street.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Arne (12-09-2019), Panthro (05-10-2024)
Old 12-09-2019, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I disagree with Unhingd. RWD F-type is only "very manageable" for a highly experienced driver and only when equipped with upgraded tires. For an average driver with OEM tires, driver electronic safety is mission-critical.

Early Porsche are also "very manageable" if you know how to avoid snap oversteer, but they still earned "doctor killer" nickname. While, F-type is not nearly as bad, it is still too easy to put one into the wall.

Get AWD.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

AWD will bail you out by "pulling" the car when you overcook it going into the corner. With RWD you need to know how to manage weight transfer and slide.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

The F-Type (V6S) is extremely balanced. To be honest, surprisingly well balanced. I didn't expect it to be that balanced on a race track. You can really feel the stiffness of the chassis and the car (for the most part) does exactly what you want. I even did some rain sessions and had no concerns (ran it in an advanced group during the rain and lapped the entire group 3 times before the end of the session).

I didn't feel the need for AWD on the V6S on the track in dry or wet conditions. If I drove it in the snow, AWD would be a benefit in that situation.

Chawumba (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 10:28 AM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew0068
Nope, not missing a thing. Adding weight to a already overweight car is not a recipe for fun. If you are looking for safety as your number one goal, then get a volvo. Even with moderate modification the V6 is totally manageable in RWD form, as is the V-8 in stock trim with a tire upgrade.

Last edited by Chawumba; 12-09-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

I agree with pretty much everyone to a certain degree. Coming out of the 5.0 XKR which was very tail happy, the v6S RWD had amazing handling and I could really throw it around. As the engine got some time on it and the OEM tyres got some mileage on them I found the back end would step out a little but it was maybe once or twice in 2 years that I got a bit messy and it was all very controllable even for me. The difference really is that the accelerator does exactly what you want it too whereas I found in the 5 litre XKR by the time you realise you have gone too hard it is too late and the back has stepped out or the dts has kicked in. I have never once driven the car (even now with 450hp) and thought it would be better with AWD though I expect if I was still running on the P Zeros that would be different.

For me the problem with the AWD (with the R) was that you feel it at the front, so it is not so much that it is extra weight - after all it is pretty much the same as having a passenger - but where that weight is sitting.

Panthro (05-10-2024)
Old 12-09-2019, 04:12 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

I have a RWD V8 dynod at 560 WHP. Don't expect PZeros to put the power down. I have 305 MP4Ss and they are a lot better but spin in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and sometimes 5th. You need street slicks or drag radials above 600 BHP with RWD, like every other car. I'm putting on 315 R888Rs on in a couple of weeks.

As far as turning and lateral g, it is a ***** cat.

I would definitely go RWD with the V6.

Last edited by RacerX; 12-09-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:34 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with most of what's been said. I have no issue whatsoever with the P380 RWD (20", still PZeros but will upgrade to MP4S as soon as I finish killing them). It is surprisingly stable, and I'm talking stable enough to go bonkers in tight corners when it's raining on the country side. The only spin I got was by flooring it in 1st on a very wet & slippery road. We'll see how it goes once the tires get used a bit more, but so far it's been a blast. That thing sticks to the road.

Interestingly enough I had a first-gen i4 before that (now P300) and it would oversteer like crazy compared to the P380. Not entirely sure why but heh (lighter & 19" wheels?). Not that it was a bad thing, it was actually fun and would correct itself automatically anyway, but still, the difference is quite... odd.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:04 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

you need to drive both on the limit to understand the differences with traction, and they are huge.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
AWD will bail you out by "pulling" the car when you overcook it going into the corner. With RWD you need to know how to manage weight transfer and slide.
It is reasonable to expect that drivers buying into this car have sufficient driving skills to handle it. I realize that’s not always the case, but there are plenty of skill building opportunities to overcome any skill shortcomings. For a car in this category, AWD is not necessary, even on the track, unless you plan on driving wintertime in the northern climates. Ask RickyJay: even under those circumstances, AWD isn’t absolutely necessary with the right tires.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:27 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It is reasonable to expect that drivers buying into this car have sufficient driving skills to handle it. I realize that’s not always the case, but there are plenty of skill building opportunities to overcome any skill shortcomings. For a car in this category, AWD is not necessary, even on the track, unless you plan on driving wintertime in the northern climates. Ask RickyJay: even under those circumstances, AWD isn’t absolutely necessary with the right tires.
The way I understand our AWD, it is RWD until it senses wheel slip and then it sends torque up to 50/50 to the front. I can't imagine that would behave too well in the snow.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RacerX
The way I understand our AWD, it is RWD until it senses wheel slip and then it sends torque up to 50/50 to the front. I can't imagine that would behave too well in the snow.
Certainly would help once sufficient traction is lost at the rear to prevent forward progress through the snow.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Holy F type
you need to drive both on the limit to understand the differences with traction, and they are huge.
AWD vs RWD recorded lap times on comparably powered F-Types don't support a huge AWD benefit.

DPelletier (12-10-2019), Panthro (05-10-2024)
Old 12-10-2019, 02:13 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Sure more heavy the awd ,80kg more, but when you start with launch control with rev about 3.000 awd is faster, you get a punch at the start like no othe rwd can do. I have no compare numeric test , but I can get well under 4.5 sec 0-100, I am sure its faster than a rwd with comparable powertrain. The old XKR I had was embarassing. no way to start from 0, lol, really embarassing.
I think every sport car with above 400 hp need awd, rwd its only for drifting purposes and fun. Not for speed

Old 12-10-2019, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member

1. Sports cars were designed for road tracks, not drag strips.
2. Yes, drifting is the slow way around the track.
3. The fast way around the corner is to drive at the limit of traction on all fours , not beyond the limit on just the rears.
4. There is a finite amount of total traction for a tire. Any amount of traction in a front tire used to pull the car forward (AWD), limits the traction available to make a turn.
5. Road conditions will determine whether AWD is the better option and perhaps the computer managed power biasing on the F-Type maximizes AWD’s effectiveness, but if it’s anything like the early ABS or DTC systems, a good driver can do better on warm dry pavement.

Arne (12-10-2019), Panthro (05-10-2024)
Old 12-10-2019, 05:59 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know, the P340 RWD is pretty easy to manage even when it's rainy and cold and I'm still using the summer tires. As long as you keep it in normal or rain mode and don't push the throttle too hard it's really no problem. I can't speak for snow or ice though, this will probably be a bit more difficult.

Old 12-10-2019, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Falkenhayn
the P340 RWD is pretty easy to manage even when it's rainy and cold and I'm still using the summer tires.
I have to point out that the base 340 HP cars had open differentials (at least, before the 2.0L cars were introduced). That makes the car exit curves a bit slower, but at least they won't spin both wheels as a powerful RWD car does.

I spun our old muscle car (with limited slip) several times just goosing the throttle getting onto a highway (in rain).

Old 12-10-2019, 02:50 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by spegor
Sure more heavy the awd ,80kg more, but when you start with launch control with rev about 3.000 awd is faster, you get a punch at the start like no othe rwd can do. I have no compare numeric test , but I can get well under 4.5 sec 0-100, I am sure its faster than a rwd with comparable powertrain. The old XKR I had was embarassing. no way to start from 0, lol, really embarassing.
I think every sport car with above 400 hp need awd, rwd its only for drifting purposes and fun. Not for speed
Sure, RWD is just for drifting. Except that most of the fastest and most powerful offerings of today Mclaren 720S, Senna, and P1 and the Porsche 911 GT2 RS have RWD and they set the fastest drag times and track times. Its not just the extra weight that makes AWD less desirable, it's the increased drive line drag, and in the case of the F type they had to raise the engine 1.5" to fit AWD, which just can't be an advantage around corners.

The following 2 users liked this post by Chawumba:
DPelletier (12-10-2019), Panthro (05-10-2024)
Old 12-10-2019, 09:20 PM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

The RWD is a very well balanced car and can be pushed hard by a skilled driver on dry and wet. A driver that is not highly skilled needs to maintain ample safety margins when the road condition is less than ideal.
AWD is the best option for both skilled and less-skilled drivers. It adds a tad of extra safety when you misjudge turns or push the car too hard in wet conditions. A skilled driver is faster in the twisties with an AWD but the car is a tad slower on straights.
It all depends on your driving style, road conditions and driving skills. The AWD is a safer bet

The following 2 users liked this post by FType17:
Panthro (05-10-2024), SinF (12-12-2019)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the V6AWD (vs RWD). Unnecessary Extra Weight?