F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the V6AWD (vs RWD). Unnecessary Extra Weight?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 11:19 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by FType17
The RWD is a very well balanced car and can be pushed hard by a skilled driver on dry and wet. A driver that is not highly skilled needs to maintain ample safety margins when the road condition is less than ideal.
AWD is the best option for both skilled and less-skilled drivers. It adds a tad of extra safety when you misjudge turns or push the car too hard in wet conditions. A skilled driver is faster in the twisties with an AWD but the car is a tad slower on straights.
It all depends on your driving style, road conditions and driving skills. The AWD is a safer bet
So it boils down to lighter vs safer. If it was an R, then AWD would also dig consistently and be more useful in general. But the RWD V6 will dig 0-60 about the same as AWD with decent tires, and turning 200 lbs less is also that much less likely to depart. Higher power to weight is also a safety feature.

Since its a V6, I would personally go for lighter. I guess thats not surprising since I bought a V8 S because its lighter than an R AWD. I could be wrong but RWD is also rarer, so in 10 years I think RWD cars will sell for more than somewhat newer AWD cars.

Last edited by RacerX; 12-10-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:11 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Sure, RWD is just for drifting. Except that most of the fastest and most powerful offerings of today Mclaren 720S, Senna, and P1 and the Porsche 911 GT2 RS have RWD and they set the fastest drag times and track times. Its not just the extra weight that makes AWD less desirable, it's the increased drive line drag, and in the case of the F type they had to raise the engine 1.5" to fit AWD, which just can't be an advantage around corners.
The sport car you list above are rear engin or central engine, RWD Porsche can perform the fastest acceleration (better tha any awd) because of the big rear weight you get on the start (this is the 1st reason of the PORSCHE great acceleration), so doesnt need awd, the central engine sport cars are perfectly balanced , so the are fast in every situation. But a FRONT ENGINE SPORT CAR, with power above 400 HP, really need AWD. The question is the level of the power that you have to go AWD. I think about 400 hp, with a front engine car.

Old 12-11-2019, 01:41 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyway to stay In thread, I think safety first to go faster. With a RWD Ftype, pay attention! Yes of course you are a skilled driver, but if you get some oil in the street, asfalt not good in a curve or same debris ..Even you are the best skilled driver with the RWD F-type you are lost, out of control! With the AWD probably you get in track. This is the reason I think awd are Always faster because you are always in safety and in a non stress situation , and you drive faster . NO AWD To gain 76 kg weiht gain ? No no thanks I will Always get the awd.

Old 12-11-2019, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

The risk aspect is truly a personal matter. I, for one, would have foregone airbags on the F-Type to save weight had that been possible. Half my fleet doesn’t have them. Safety just doesn’t factor into the consideration unless the vehicle is a veritable death trap. The driving experience for me is the primary consideration, though “go fast” comes in a close second.

Old 12-11-2019, 01:25 PM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

You won't feel the extra weight of awd unless your on a track. But you will feel the extra traction it gives every time you want a quick getaway from the lights whenever the road is wet.

Old 12-11-2019, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

I don't like AWD on the V8 F type, nevermind the V6. added weight, expense, complexity, driveline losses and higher CG.....I'll save AWD for my winter drivers. 2 cents,
Dave

The following users liked this post:
Arne (12-12-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by spegor
The sport car you list above are rear engin or central engine, RWD Porsche can perform the fastest acceleration (better tha any awd) because of the big rear weight you get on the start (this is the 1st reason of the PORSCHE great acceleration), so doesnt need awd, the central engine sport cars are perfectly balanced , so the are fast in every situation. But a FRONT ENGINE SPORT CAR, with power above 400 HP, really need AWD. The question is the level of the power that you have to go AWD. I think about 400 hp, with a front engine car.
C7 Z06, Viper, etc.? ....I think "need" is overstated to say the least

Dave

Boppo (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 04:19 PM
Banned

Anyway to stay In thread, I think safety first to go faster. With a RWD Ftype, pay attention! Yes of course you are a skilled driver, but if you get some oil in the street, asfalt not good in a curve or same debris ..Even you are the best skilled driver with the RWD F-type you are lost, out of control! With the AWD probably you get in track. This is the reason I think awd are Always faster because you are always in safety and in a non stress situation , and you drive faster . NO AWD To gain 76 kg weiht gain ? No no thanks I will Always get the awd.
AWD is safer in some conditions and less safe in others. On slick surfaces, ice or, or standing water/hydroplaning, having two wheels that the drive line can't break loose is often beneficial. Thats why you let off the gas over an ice patch, etc. AWD and 4WD is often the first to ditch in slippery conditions.

IMO, AWD is mostly to satisfy lawyers who have an intentionally superficial POV of driving safety so they can ignore the unintended consequences of their inputs.
​​

Last edited by RacerX; 12-11-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Boppo (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 07:25 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

Lets not forget Viper ACR, AMG GT-R, Shelby mustang GT-350 all which are RWD and have 500-600 horsepower and were found to be significantly faster than a AWD F-Type SVR around Laguna Seca Raceway.

Last edited by Chawumba; 12-11-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Lets not forget Viper ACR, AMG GT-R, Shelby mustang GT-350 all which have 500-600 horsepower and were found to be significantly faster than a AWD F-Type SVR around Laguna Seca Raceway.
On street slicks vs passenger tires.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:09 AM
Veteran Member

As with ABS, any of the various computer aided technologies offer marginal benefit to a skilled driver. They offer significant safety and performance benefit to anyone not formally trained and experienced in high performance driving.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Unhingd
As with ABS, any of the various computer aided technologies offer marginal benefit to a skilled driver. They offer significant safety and performance benefit to anyone not formally trained and experienced in high performance driving.
Yes, but it is a doubled edged sword. Intervention more often decreases performance when you don't want it to. Electronic gizmos also fight you when you least need the gizmo designers thinking they are smarter than you, when you are in the car and they aren't. I would modify the above to "they can offer significant performance increases to beginner drivers, but more often create minor to severe performance decreases for the majority of drivers."

Last edited by RacerX; 12-12-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:43 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
... Electronic gizmos also fight you when you least need the gizmo designers thinking they are smarter than you ...
737 MAX?

Old 12-12-2019, 12:11 PM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I agree with you as far as ABS ESP etc. but the AWD system, as implemented on the F-Type - rear biased -, does allow experienced and capable drivers to push the car harder and stomp on the throttle earlier. As with every aspect of driving, the benefits are less with certain layouts but, for example, in high speed mountain climbs, AWD is faster. I tried it several times back to back, same driver and two stock F-Type R (2015 and 2016). Post tuning, the Delta in time advantage of the AWD grew.
It is not always the case but when the ability to put down power earlier makes a difference, AWD is faster, especially on less than perfect tarmac

Old 12-12-2019, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RacerX
Yes, but it is a doubled edged sword. Intervention more often decreases performance when you don't want it to. Electronic gizmos also fight you when you least need the gizmo designers thinking they are smarter than you, when you are in the car and they aren't. I would modify the above to "they can offer significant performance increases to beginner drivers, but more often create minor to severe performance decreases for the majority of drivers."
A majority of drivers don't come close to driving the limits of the cars...they just text and run into others. The typical driver in DC is less skilled than a fresh mint straight out of o beginners driving school.

I agree with you as far as ABS ESP etc. but the AWD system, as implemented on the F-Type - rear biased -, does allow experienced and capable drivers to push the car harder and stomp on the throttle earlier. As with every aspect of driving, the benefits are less with certain layouts but, for example, in high speed mountain climbs, AWD is faster. I tried it several times back to back, same driver and two stock F-Type R (2015 and 2016). Post tuning, the Delta in time advantage of the AWD grew.
It is not always the case but when the ability to put down power earlier makes a difference, AWD is faster, especially on less than perfect tarmac
Absolutely no argument here that AWD has a significant advantage on hill climbs, usually accompanied by substandard road surfaces.

Old 12-12-2019, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by glenn b
You won't feel the extra weight of awd unless your on a track. But you will feel the extra traction it gives every time you want a quick getaway from the lights whenever the road is wet.
I didn't drive the V6 RWD back to back with the AWD, but I drove the V8S RWD back to back with the V6 RWD. In sections with multiple successive direction changes and no intervening straights, I could definitely feel the weight difference.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I didn't drive the V6 RWD back to back with the AWD, but I drove the V8S RWD back to back with the V6 RWD. In sections with multiple successive direction changes and no intervening straights, I could definitely feel the weight difference.
Same here.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

The 8 AWD is overwhelmingly heavier feeling at the front end than the 6 RWD, or the XKR for that matter. Or the XJR for that matter.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:11 PM
Banned

There's no doubt that V8 RWD wheelspin is a challenge. But tires make a huge difference that we don't understand well with the F-Type because the OEM choice doesn't count. Any testing with OEM PZeros is not meaningful, especially with a 630-650 HP tune. As with any car, this level of RWD HP needs drag radials. Street slicks like Cup2s or R888Rs are comprimise tires that won't hold at a drag strip or street light, but are at least decent performers. PZero A/S passenger car tires might as well be figure skates, so they give AWD Fs a big but also artificial advantage.

In addition to the tire variable, there's not really a choice between RWD and AWD. The choice is RWD or AWD + 175 lbs - HP + more money. If AWD was free it would be easier to compare.

Last edited by RacerX; 12-12-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:00 AM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

I'm wondering if the OP expected anywhere near this much of a response to his post

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the V6AWD (vs RWD). Unnecessary Extra Weight?