F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the V6AWD (vs RWD). Unnecessary Extra Weight?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 01:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

So far the consensus seems to be:

From AWD owners, you need AWD;
From RWD owners, you dont need AWD.

The following 4 users liked this post by BruceTheQuail:
Mahjik (12-13-2019), Panthro (05-10-2024), Paul_59 (12-31-2019), ryd003 (12-31-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 01:43 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
There's no doubt that V8 RWD wheelspin is a challenge. But tires make a huge difference that we don't understand well with the F-Type because the OEM choice doesn't count. Any testing with OEM PZeros is not meaningful, especially with a 630-650 HP tune. As with any car, this level of RWD HP needs drag radials. Street slicks like Cup2s or R888Rs are comprimise tires that won't hold at a drag strip or street light, but are at least decent performers. PZero A/S passenger car tires might as well be figure skates, so they give AWD Fs a big but also artificial advantage.

In addition to the tire variable, there's not really a choice between RWD and AWD. The choice is RWD or AWD + 175 lbs - HP + more money. If AWD was free it would be easier to compare.
So AWD with drag radials is is slower? I dont understand.
I think we have to compare with the same tires, conditions.

Old 12-13-2019, 04:05 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
I'm wondering if the OP expected anywhere near this much of a response to his post
This forum always exceeds expectations!

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
Carbuff2 (12-13-2019), Panthro (05-10-2024)
Old 12-13-2019, 04:53 AM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
So far the consensus seems to be:

From AWD owners, you need AWD;
From RWD owners, you dont need AWD.
Not quite. I have rwd but would have preferred awd had one come up with the right colour and options when I was looking for the car. Where i live i can never drive at anywhere near 9/10s because the roads are too congested. It also rains 1 day in 3 and snows occasionally in the winter. My F is my daily driver so awd would benefit me because my only real bit of fun most days is quick traffic light starts and my F wheelspins when i do that. I had awd in my XE and liked the system.

The following 2 users liked this post by glenn b:
Panthro (05-10-2024), UltraPeepi (01-06-2020)
Old 12-13-2019, 05:16 AM

Everyone agree that awd is safer and faster in wet streets. But is it faster in good streets and dry conditions? Someone like me agree awd faster some others are afraid of the weigh, less power and ugliest thing... Engine 1, 5" higher.
​​​​​​Ok for the 80kg more wheight, but less power? Its not a 4x4, awd became a RWD after a start , so are you sure about rhis?
Another thing engine 1,5" higher to fit trasmission, are you sure barycentre is higher? They fit some weight in the low car position with awd , are you sure about higher barycentre?

Last edited by spegor; 12-13-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

There's no doubt that V8 RWD wheelspin is a challenge. But tires make a huge difference that we don't understand well with the F-Type because the OEM choice doesn't count. Any testing with OEM PZeros is not meaningful, especially with a 630-650 HP tune. As with any car, this level of RWD HP needs drag radials. Street slicks like Cup2s or R888Rs are comprimise tires that won't hold at a drag strip or street light, but are at least decent performers. PZero A/S passenger car tires might as well be figure skates, so they give AWD Fs a big but also artificial advantage.

In addition to the tire variable, there's not really a choice between RWD and AWD. The choice is RWD or AWD + 175 lbs - HP + more money. If AWD was free it would be easier to compare.
Drag radials really don't make much sense on a sportscar unless you only have straight roads to drive on. Under that circumstance, a sportscar really doesn't make much sense either. Time to buy a Hellcat.

The following users liked this post:
FType17 (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 10:00 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Drag radials really don't make much sense on a sportscar unless you only have straight roads to drive on. Under that circumstance, a sportscar really doesn't make much sense either. Time to buy a Hellcat.
Yeah, that's why I'm not buying drag radials. But if I were in an AWD F-Type R lining up against a RWD R with drag radials, I would be worried. Cup2s or R888Rs will make for a formidable 650 HP car.

The Hellcat is in even worse tire hell than we are with OEM 275 PZeros on 9.5" rims. They need tires plus replica rear wheels to put up respectable numbers. And at a factory-tuned, non street legal 800HP on race gas over 4450 lbs, it still probably needs drag radials to beat a higher power to weight ratio, street legal tuned 650 HP RWD F-type on 93.

So yeah, I agree, drag radials are a pretty painful one trick pony, but so is 0-60 from a dig. A high power to weight ratio at the lightest possible curb weight to turn the car, OTOH, is a big part of an overall sports car experience. It's why the heavier C8 product roadmap is turning out to be inferior to the C7 Corvette.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:53 AM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

Often RWD owners have said that you can't drift or have fun with AWD. I don't agree with that, I enjoy drifting in almost every possible turn and it's AWD

Old 12-16-2019, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
I'm wondering if the OP expected anywhere near this much of a response to his post
Originally Posted by scm
This forum always exceeds expectations!
I've learned that I don't need what I have and don't have what I need, and that neither would be right for my driving. At least, that's how it seems. If I paid more attention to the criticism, I'd be in danger of not enjoying the car.

What was the question?

The following 2 users liked this post by lizzardo:
Luc Lapierre (12-16-2019), scm (12-17-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 10:35 AM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Another disadvantage of the AWD is the noticeably larger turning radius.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:06 AM

Considering to buy the new f-type 5.0 V8 450 hp (580 nm) do you think awd is required?

Old 12-30-2019, 11:57 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by F-Type-Type
Another disadvantage of the AWD is the noticeably larger turning radius.
Really? I've been impressed at how tight mine will turn, but I did come from an XKR.
Just looked it up - radius is an extra foot, not really that noticeable, surely? I guess it depends how tight your turn requirements are.

Old 12-30-2019, 12:04 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I like it tight :-) My RWD impresses me each time I use the full steering input in a sharp turn.
But sure, a one foot increase in turning radius is probably not a show stopper, but not an advantage. Just thought I should point it out for completeness.

Old 12-30-2019, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by spegor
Considering to buy the new f-type 5.0 V8 450 hp (580 nm) do you think awd is required?
That is very individual, and depending of use (weather/winter etc).
I have the MY15 rwd V8 550 hp (680 nm), and would not have anything else. It is a very easy car to drive, but when you want to use all of the power, you need to be carefull and learn how the car behaves. That is the real fun of it - for me 😉

The following users liked this post:
Chawumba (01-02-2020)
Old 12-30-2019, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

I (and a number of others) have the v6 tuned up to 450hp. It doesnt need AWD driven in the wet or dry. I dont know about snow. 450hp is a very sweet spot for the car IMO though it would depend on how freely it revs.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:03 PM
Banned

I'm dynoing 560 WHP with RWD and I would love a few hundred more. I'm on MP4Ss that are great all around and especially in the rain, but overwehlmed on hard acceleration. When spring comes around I'll sacrifice wet performance for Cup 2s or R888Rs and hope to put some good numbers down.

Personally I think this Jaguar is a p.u.s.s.y cat with RWD at 650 HP.

Old 12-30-2019, 07:22 PM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
As with ABS, any of the various computer aided technologies offer marginal benefit to a skilled driver. They offer significant safety and performance benefit to anyone not formally trained and experienced in high performance driving.
Yes, but it is a doubled edged sword. Intervention more often decreases performance when you don't want it to. Electronic gizmos also fight you when you least need the gizmo designers thinking they are smarter than you, when you are in the car and they aren't. I would modify the above to "they can offer significant performance increases to beginner drivers, but more often create minor to severe performance decreases for the majority of drivers."
Originally Posted by FType17
I agree with you as far as ABS ESP etc. but the AWD system, as implemented on the F-Type - rear biased -, does allow experienced and capable drivers to push the car harder and stomp on the throttle earlier. As with every aspect of driving, the benefits are less with certain layouts but, for example, in high speed mountain climbs, AWD is faster. I tried it several times back to back, same driver and two stock F-Type R (2015 and 2016). Post tuning, the Delta in time advantage of the AWD grew.
It is not always the case but when the ability to put down power earlier makes a difference, AWD is faster, especially on less than perfect tarmac
I disagree very strongly with my otherwise learned forum members on these points :

Like many on here I am old enough to have learned to drive before ABS was commonplace, was taught cadence breaking techniques for braking on snow/ ice. Even in my twenties I wouldn't have come close to 10 Hz brake applications that modern abs manage.

The benefits of ESP / DSC are even more significant to drivers of all skill levels from beginner to expert, the reason is simple, it can take corrective action beyond that of any driver, by braking independently one wheel.

Anyone is entitled to have their own opinion on this matter, they can't have their own version of the facts.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul_59
Anyone is entitled to have their own opinion on this matter, they can't have their own version of the facts.
I would not disagree with anything you wrote. The question is does an F-Type need to match an SUV in inclement weather capability?

I would prefer to ditch every automated system that adds weight including the touch screen. Otherwise, what is a sportscar? DSC is fine since it can be turned off, as long as it doesn't add weight which I doubt. Even with V8 RWD I turn it off on dry pavement because predictablility is always better than uncommanded, unknowable intervention IMO.

RWD with no help is the way cars have been for most of auto history, and it's a great perfectly safe layout. Increasing rain, snow, and off road performance makes no sense for a serious sportscar/supercar unless it's weight and cost free. It makes perfect sense for an all season sedan, SUV, or 4x4.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by F-Type-Type
I like it tight :-) My RWD impresses me each time I use the full steering input in a sharp turn.
But sure, a one foot increase in turning radius is probably not a show stopper, but not an advantage. Just thought I should point it out for completeness.
The turning radius of a tuned RWD V6 with the DSC turned off isn’t much more than the length of the car.

The following 3 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Chawumba (01-02-2020), DJS (12-31-2019), Paul_59 (12-31-2019)
Old 01-06-2020, 08:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

With a v6, awd is not needed. You’re adding extra weight to the front end, more complexity which means more parts that will fail and need to be maintained at extra cost. If you think you need better traction on a v6, simply upgrade the tires. If you are worried about slipping in snow or ice - get snow tires or just don’t drive it. Snow tires with rwd are superior to awd on regular tires. Awd May help you move forward better in snow or ice, but it will stops and corner just as poorly as rwd.

for the v8s, I can understand that 500+ Wont hook for crap, so maybe awd might be nice for them folks (or their wives lol) who tend to drive their cars in snowy / slippery conditions. Personally the early v8 w rwd in manual would be Ideal.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the V6AWD (vs RWD). Unnecessary Extra Weight?