F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Re-map

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 08:40 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better question: why did Jaguar include a performance throttle body map and a detuned throttle map? Snakeoil salesman sure fooled you.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:43 PM
Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

Modern tunes often include a more aggressive throttle curve.

That is not what makes the car actually faster.

The tune makes it faster.

The throttle curve can make it also "feel" even better too, for those who like a sensitive pedal. Lots of people like a sensitive pedal. Lots of carmakers are already playing this non-linearity game with the gas pedal.

Adding a throttle curve for "feel" because people like that feel is not snakeoil. Legitimate tuners do not claim that a throttle curve makes a car faster. Because they know that's not true.

Someone claiming that adding only a throttle curve (using that gadget you have) will make the car faster IS being a snakeoil salesman. That is the difference.

Originally Posted by SGREENLYN
Snakeoil salesman sure fooled you.
I think you MIGHT be close to understanding the above. I have faith. Nobody's been fooled until they allow themselves to be fooled.

Last edited by 15FTypeR; 06-02-2018 at 08:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 999 Likes on 747 Posts

I'm posting proof from an position of many years of experimentation and use. You don't understand DBW. This is such a well know issue that virtually all modern tunes include a more aggressive T-Map. Are you really smarter than everyonein the tuning community? Are you nuts?
Your arguments defy logic. You say the problem is in the pedal, but it can be fixed with a tune. The ECU only knows the pedal position now, and in the short time preceding now.

Assume the pedal has a delay:

The ECU cannot open the throttle valve sooner by remapping because it cannot predict the future.

Do you understand this?

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm posting proof from an position of many years of experimentation and use. You don't understand DBW. This is such a well know issue that virtually all modern tunes include a more aggressive T-Map. Are you really smarter than everyonein the tuning community? Are you nuts?
No, you are NOT posting ANY type of "proof". Rather, your ignoring facts and attempting to replace them with... alternate facts which we have all witnessed is FAILURE. All the people in the "tuning" world agree with the OPPOSITE of the snake oil you are promoting. YOU are the one attempting (and failing HUGELY by the way) to fool people. HINT: It's not working... so the only logical question is "Did you just PROVE that you are the one lacking in a grasp of reality?"

Old 06-02-2018, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

If a more aggressive T-Map is snake oil, why is everyone who doesn't understand DBW recommending the more aggressive T-Map embedded in Jag tunes? Why does your tune include snakeoil?
sigh... we have gone over this too many times already and you STILL don't get it. You continue to attempt to twist logic beyond reality. ECM mapping has ZERO to do with the devices you are failing to promote. One day you will get it... ECM programming can do many thing. 3rd party snake oil crappy parts don;t do ****. Now, quit trying to pedal that **** as if it's gold.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:02 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I'm posting proof from an position of many years of experimentation
Years of watching YouTube vids more like.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Your arguments defy logic. You say the problem is in the pedal, but it can be fixed with a tune. The ECU only knows the pedal position now, and in the short time preceding now.
Assume the pedal has a delay:
The ECU cannot open the throttle valve sooner by remapping because it cannot predict the future.
Do you understand this?
Why do you think Jag includes 3 different throttle maps if throttle maps have positively, absolutely no effect whatsoever on a cars performance?

So Snow mode is utterly identical in every way to Dynamic mode, right?

(This is where you try to argue that the ECU slowing the throttle body opening speed as a result of a given throttle movement isn't actually slowing down throttle body opening speed compared to a given throttle movement. So it identical to Dynamic mode in every way.)

Last edited by SGREENLYN; 06-02-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:25 PM
Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

Why do you think Jag includes 3 different throttle maps if throttle maps have positively, absolutely no effect whatsoever on a cars performance?

Read my post please. You will understand if you read my last post, and this whole debate will be over.

You're resorting to hyperbole now and it's not necessary because I believe we are close to an understanding.

Here is the direct link:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...7/#post1906306

Last edited by 15FTypeR; 06-02-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:28 PM

You know, I think the manufacturers are missing a trick here. Porsche, Audi, BMW etc - all spend hundreds of thousands of $$ if not millions perfecting their cars to get bragging rights of lap records at the Nürburgring to help market their cars. If only they would invest $300 in a pedal commander from Amazon.com - they would be tenths of seconds ahead of their competition!

SCREENGLYN - ever thought of contacting them, or better still forward them a YouTube evidence vid. They might sign you on as an engineering consultant, never know.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ek993
You know, I think the manufacturers are missing a trick here. Porsche, Audi, BMW etc
What modern sports car doesn't ship with selectable throttle maps??? Your Jag has that snake oil, too.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:39 PM
Banned

Ahh, I see... you like to drive in Snow mode. Why didn't you say so? You know you like it. Come on, admit it. Raise your hands, all of you. Get em up.

The Snow throttle map is absolutely identical in throttle body opening rate over time as that stupid snake oil Dynamic throttle map.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Does anyone have a dyno plot of their tune before pulley vs. stock?
Yes. Look at the beginning of “V6S Tune” thread circa November 2015.

Btw, all of the videos do their side by side comparisons with the device attached. (Just different settings). Where can we see real with/without results?

Using that same methodology, let’s see some dyno runs. Of course peak power won’t be different but area under the curve should be greater if the device is working as claimed.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:47 PM

SGREENLYN - I have always been intrigued by these as well:

Amazon Amazon

Seen as you are up for some experimentation, think you could add one to your car and document the results for us? I’m thinking some sort of Excel matrix - different combos with and without the Pedal Commander / 12v electric turbo blower.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Unhingd

Yes. Look at the beginning of “V6S Tune” thread circa November 2015.

Btw, all of the videos do their side by side comparisons with the device attached. (Just different settings). Where can we see real with/without results?

Using that same methodology, let’s see some dyno runs. Of course peak power won’t be different but area under the curve should be greater if the device is working as claimed.
No, faster throttle body opening would (primarily) slide a nearly identical dyno curve a few tenths to the left. Now you get it. Time counts when timing things.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:10 PM
Banned

Even she gets it.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

No, faster throttle body opening would (primarily) slide a nearly identical dyno curve a few tenths to the left. Now you get it. Time counts when timing things.
Sorry, no. A dyno charts power v rpm, not power v time. If the device does what you say then we should see greater power at lower rpm.

However, just as I thought, the Sprint Booster is nothing more than a signal amplifier: http://www.crosslake.net/~dbipes/spr...intBooster.pdf

It is not a time machine.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:35 PM
Banned

Adding a throttle curve for "feel" because people like that feel is not snakeoil.

Show me a mathematical justification for "feeling" more accelleration without car movement.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

(This is where you try to argue that the ECU slowing the throttle body opening speed as a result of a given throttle movement isn't actually slowing down throttle body opening speed compared to a given throttle movement. So it identical to Dynamic mode in every way.)
WRONG.

You've gone from "pedal has delayed response" so pedal needs to be fixed to ECM (ECU) programming can fix that. I *do* understand DBW, and what you say makes no sense.

Those modes (ice/snow. normal, dynamic) are not throttle maps. They do affect throttle response but also traction control and transmission response (if you have an automatic). Probably some other stuff too, but I've got a manual transmission so not all applies to my car.

A throttle map takes pedal position and reports that as a request. More aggressive throttle maps are more sensitive in the initial travel at the expense of the rest of the travel. The car feels "faster" because all the action happens in the initial pedal travel and the lower half of the pedal travel is worthless.

I have the configurable dynamic options and choose to have it never alter the throttle map. Can you understand why I have made this *informed* decision?

Old 06-02-2018, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

Show me a mathematical justification for "feeling" more accelleration without car movement. [/b]
Sure, but it's not mathematical. It's psychological. If I remap the pedal so that in the first 25% of pedal travel gives me 100% throttle, I barely touch the pedal and the car surges. "Wow, this thing is powerful if I get that by barely touching the pedal!"

There just isn't anything more after that. It sells cars though.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:49 PM
Banned

This video addresses you, specifically, at 17 seconds:
​​​​​​
https://youtu.be/1XVCYDNcwwY

Quick Reply: Throttle Re-map