Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Tip-In

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 07:07 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Throttle Tip-In

Hello fellas,

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the slight delay with the V6S in a daily situation with their car. It might be the way I'm modulating the throttle.

In Normal or Regular mode if I'm driving around and give maybe 25% or 30% of throttle there seems to me about a second or half a second delay before the car actually gets going. Doesn't happen in Dynamic mode however. Maybe the throttle is calibrated this way?

Anyone?

Old 04-09-2015, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Is it Kicking Down?

Old 04-09-2015, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by F-typical
Is it Kicking Down?
Nope. Just the timing it decides to get going is slightly off. Maybe I'm a tad aggressive with my input?

Old 04-09-2015, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Trakrzy
Nope. Just the timing it decides to get going is slightly off. Maybe I'm a tad aggressive with my input?
No,I've noticed something similar too myself...doesn't happen all the time though.

Also,twice now when just starting out when cold I've had the car stay in 1st gear and not want to shift...I've had to stop the car and then go again and it's fine at that point...anyone else?

Old 04-09-2015, 11:24 AM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Hello fellas,

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the slight delay with the V6S in a daily situation with their car. It might be the way I'm modulating the throttle.

In Normal or Regular mode if I'm driving around and give maybe 25% or 30% of throttle there seems to me about a second or half a second delay before the car actually gets going. Doesn't happen in Dynamic mode however. Maybe the throttle is calibrated this way?

Anyone?
Yes, I have had this as well. My perception has been that the car kicks down too few gears (7 to 5 maybe) to be on boost. This only happens when I'm below 2k RPMs, and I would describe it as feeling like turbo lag.

Of course then I depress the throttle further, it kicks down a few more gears, and goes to ludicrous speed and I see plaid.

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
No,I've noticed something similar too myself...doesn't happen all the time though.

Also,twice now when just starting out when cold I've had the car stay in 1st gear and not want to shift...I've had to stop the car and then go again and it's fine at that point...anyone else?
Fortunately I have not experienced this. That may be worth a dealer visit to have checked.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:27 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had the car stay in first gear on Dynamic mode twice when aggressively stepping on the pedal. Had to lift foot off gas and it switched. I wasn't in sport/manual shift mode. Just something random I can't figure out.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

I've had my V8 stick in first several times after I've first backed out of somewhere then turned and driven off. I have always put it down to an accidental knock of the downshift paddle (but perhaps not). I just grab the upshift paddle for a couple of seconds to clear it back to D.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkong79
I've had the car stay in first gear on Dynamic mode twice when aggressively stepping on the pedal. Had to lift foot off gas and it switched. I wasn't in sport/manual shift mode. Just something random I can't figure out...
Both times it happen I was just starting out,car wasn't in dynamic mode and I was driving normal just bringing it up to operating temps...

Old 04-09-2015, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

In my first automatic sports car ever, I've learned I can't stand to drive sports cars in automatic mode. I'm not happy letting a car shift for me. Thus, I'm 100% of the time using the paddles and haven't seen the issue described unless I've waited late to shift.

As an aside, I never touch the eco-mode button, haven't disabled the system, and I haven't seen it in action since a couple of weeks after I took delivery last June. The paddles render it inop 100% of the time.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:30 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I have the paddles disabled when not in sport mode, so I can't bump them accidentally. Have never witnessed the 'stuck in first' issue. Use Dynamic 95% of the time.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:03 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OzRisk
I've had my V8 stick in first several times after I've first backed out of somewhere then turned and driven off. I have always put it down to an accidental knock of the downshift paddle (but perhaps not). I just grab the upshift paddle for a couple of seconds to clear it back to D.
Exact same scenario as what happened to me the second time

Old 04-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

I have also had the occasional,unexplained stick in first/low gear when starting off. I have also assumed it was somthing I did but reading this I am wondering if it is something else.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:55 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Slightly different issue for me... when leaving home in the morning in regular drive mode (sport and dynamic not engaged), and not fully up to normal operating temp, when I come to the first stop sign in my residential neighborhood, and actually come close to a full stop because of cross traffic, rather than my far more customary California stop... If I get back on the gas, at just the wrong moment in relation to the eco-mode just starting to activate, it kills the engine entirely, leaving my slowly rolling into the intersection with no power.

Happened at least three times over the last few months. The only way I've found to restart is fully engage the brake, shifter back into Park, then press the Start button, then back into gear... making me look like an idiot who doesn't know how to drive this really sharp looking car.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:04 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by OzRisk
I chalked it up to the same thing and I am pretty sure that is what happened. Disconcerting though.

It does feel a little laggy when accelerating at about half throttle between 1200 and 2500 rpm or so as well. I think there is little to no boost In that range, and the supercharger mass when not in bypass mode adds a lot of flywheel effect.

My solution is to downshift with the paddles until I have 3,000 rpm them get on it.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
Slightly different issue for me... when leaving home in the morning in regular drive mode (sport and dynamic not engaged), and not fully up to normal operating temp, when I come to the first stop sign in my residential neighborhood, and actually come close to a full stop because of cross traffic, rather than my far more customary California stop... If I get back on the gas, at just the wrong moment in relation to the eco-mode just starting to activate, it kills the engine entirely, leaving my slowly rolling into the intersection with no power.

Happened at least three times over the last few months. The only way I've found to restart is fully engage the brake, shifter back into Park, then press the Start button, then back into gear... making me look like an idiot who doesn't know how to drive this really sharp looking car.
If this wasn't so unfortunate, it - especially your last line - would be funny (and provided there are no girls around to see you "stall").

Before driving off I almost always allow temps to get up to speed and I almost never engage in automatic without using the Dynamic setting with paddle shifting 100% of the time. I'll give some of the variations listed here a try over the weekend and see what's what (and report back here).

Good luck fellow idiots!

Old 04-09-2015, 10:09 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Hello fellas,

Anyone?
To the question posed in the OP, I've had the opportunity to drive two separate 2015 R Coupes with some regularity since last Thanksgiving... one an early November US delivery, the second delayed several weeks in production and ultimately a late November US delivery.

The throttle response on the later build is instantaneous, no lag, no delay, no kick down, no hesitation whatsoever... touch the throttle, the car goes like a bat out of hell in direct correlation to the throttle.

The earlier build has a definite delay in responsiveness to the throttle, in any and all transmission modes. Annoying as heck! makes its performance feel more like most every other car on the road...

I've often wondered if the production delay in the later arriving vehicle has any correlation to the distinctly better performance?

Old 04-10-2015, 01:39 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I have the paddles disabled when not in sport mode, so I can't bump them accidentally. Have never witnessed the 'stuck in first' issue. Use Dynamic 95% of the time.
DJS how do you disable the paddles the wife when she's driving sometimes engages them and she don't like it

Burnie

Old 04-10-2015, 05:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

It's in the setup menu of the instrument display.

The following users liked this post:
burnie (04-10-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by BierNut
Yes, I have had this as well. My perception has been that the car kicks down too few gears (7 to 5 maybe) to be on boost. This only happens when I'm below 2k RPMs, and I would describe it as feeling like turbo lag.
That is BANG on what it is I'm feeling.

Definitely feels like turbo lag. I find myself using S mode on the transmission instead of D a bit more often to counteract this it's a bit annoying when I'm just in the mood to cruise. Definitely too high of a gear/not enough boost situation.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by IronMike
To the question posed in the OP, I've had the opportunity to drive two separate 2015 R Coupes with some regularity since last Thanksgiving... one an early November US delivery, the second delayed several weeks in production and ultimately a late November US delivery.

The throttle response on the later build is instantaneous, no lag, no delay, no kick down, no hesitation whatsoever... touch the throttle, the car goes like a bat out of hell in direct correlation to the throttle.

The earlier build has a definite delay in responsiveness to the throttle, in any and all transmission modes. Annoying as heck! makes its performance feel more like most every other car on the road...

I've often wondered if the production delay in the later arriving vehicle has any correlation to the distinctly better performance?
That is also a possibility. I haven't driven two R coupes back to back to compare but they both fell like a bat out of hell, one being JLR'S press car last year at a launch event. However I was too excited to make any distinct or smart observation.

However, you might be entirely right on the better throttle response on the later cars, mine is an early build even if it's 15.

Quick Reply: Throttle Tip-In