F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking Noise interior making me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020 | 07:02 PM

This site is great. Mine doesnt tick, but nice to know what it could be if it does. Was this addressed in a TSB, or resolved by JLR on newer models or does it occur across all model years?

Old 12-07-2020 | 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 19FRG
This site is great. Mine doesnt tick, but nice to know what it could be if it does. Was this addressed in a TSB, or resolved by JLR on newer models or does it occur across all model years?
Have not seen any Tech bulletins on this. I know at least through 17-18 they still had this issue. It takes a few years for the glue to fail, so perhaps more to come?

DC

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020 | 09:07 PM

I was looking at the photo of the seat back against the "parcel shelf" cover, and thought of the equipment immediately behind that panel.

Here is a photo of what the cover is hiding... plenty of plastic bits to squeak and tick.

Herman

rear parcel shelf cover removed, showing Meridian speakers and wiring.

Old 12-07-2020 | 09:10 PM

Wait a tic...
Is the ticking noise at all related to engine speed?
... or alternator loading?
e.g. more ticking immediately after startup ?
less ticking when lifting throttle, like when you come off the highway?

The amplifier and speakers are right there, and a poor condenser on the output of the alternator could be the culprit.

Herman

Old 12-08-2020 | 12:58 AM
|

Originally Posted by Therock88
Hopefully, that does it for you. Either way, you will want to glue that seal back.

DC
Just drove it and it al seem fine untill the first bump in the road around the corner. The creaking seems to pop up random but mostly when the road is not the best. I did not solve it i have uploaded the audio file see below in the wetranfer box. Does anyone recognize this? This was while driving around 60

https://we.tl/t-MMuw5nz2Wa

Or
https://voca.ro/1of1511wy1lu

Last edited by JagFtypev6; 12-08-2020 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-08-2020 | 01:03 AM
|

Originally Posted by HermanWiegman
Wait a tic...
Is the ticking noise at all related to engine speed?
... or alternator loading?
e.g. more ticking immediately after startup ?
less ticking when lifting throttle, like when you come off the highway?

The amplifier and speakers are right there, and a poor condenser on the output of the alternator could be the culprit.

Herman

No this is not a relais ticking, no more ticking when startup not at all only when moving at certain times it randomly pops up. I have uploaded the audio file. It almost seems like the small window is not in place and is making that noise randomly. I can locate the noise near the silver pillar near the window.

I have uploaded a we transfer link and a audio online sharing service . Hope you can all hear it

Last edited by JagFtypev6; 12-08-2020 at 01:12 AM.
Old 12-08-2020 | 08:29 AM
|

i have driven the car at 5mph on a really bad road and you can hear the noise. I have tried to film it so you can hear it. The seals in the boot did not fix it I think it is some part underneath the trim at the B pillar.. the big rattle you hear is a bottle. The smal ticking is the issue. What do you think?

Old 12-08-2020 | 02:01 PM

After hearing your sound file, I may have the solution. I had the same sound coming from behind me instead of the passenger side. Turn out to be a small bolt that came off and was rattling inside the top inside of the rear hatch. I've attached a couple pictures. there is a small plastic access panel that you can pry off...behind it there are a couple of small bolts. Make sure they are tight. One of mine had worked it's way completely off and would rattle. Check both the left and right side. Sometimes sound bounces around inside the cabin and will fool you as to which side it's coming from. Hope this helps!
CRS

Old 12-08-2020 | 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by JagFtypev6
Hi All,

I have a weird ticking noise at the B pillar behind the passenger door at the small window. It is like a ticking noise that pops up when im driving , its there most of the time and sounds like a ticking metal piece. I have tried different things, taking out the cover of the trunk , taking down the plastic panels on the side but the sound is not going away. The car is just 4 years old and has 16k miles.

Does anyone have tips for me?
I think im getting the same ticking youre talking about, its right next to my left ear while im driving on the freeway or anytime im accelarating and it drives me crazy. i think its coming from the b pillar, there are torx screws that hold the tiny quarter planel glass behind the plastic planel. I tend to slap it to try to make the noise go away or push on panel and it works. I think theres might a screw thats not completely tightend and starts to tick when any type of vibration from the car, funny thing is I always say im gonna look into it as soon as iI get home but I always seem to forget as soon as i pull into the garage and park.

Last edited by wurldfamuz; 12-08-2020 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-09-2020 | 04:39 AM
|

Originally Posted by CRS 123
After hearing your sound file, I may have the solution. I had the same sound coming from behind me instead of the passenger side. Turn out to be a small bolt that came off and was rattling inside the top inside of the rear hatch. I've attached a couple pictures. there is a small plastic access panel that you can pry off...behind it there are a couple of small bolts. Make sure they are tight. One of mine had worked it's way completely off and would rattle. Check both the left and right side. Sometimes sound bounces around inside the cabin and will fool you as to which side it's coming from. Hope this helps!
CRS

This morning i have checked this! All the bolts were on their place but nevertheless thank you for sharing !

Old 12-09-2020 | 04:42 AM
|

CRS

Originally Posted by wurldfamuz
I think im getting the same ticking youre talking about, its right next to my left ear while im driving on the freeway or anytime im accelarating and it drives me crazy. i think its coming from the b pillar, there are torx screws that hold the tiny quarter planel glass behind the plastic planel. I tend to slap it to try to make the noise go away or push on panel and it works. I think theres might a screw thats not completely tightend and starts to tick when any type of vibration from the car, funny thing is I always say im gonna look into it as soon as iI get home but I always seem to forget as soon as i pull into the garage and park.

I have checked it and it occurs when driving over a bumpy road.... if the road is good than there is almost no noise but as soon as i hit a bumpy road its starts. I think this has also to do with something on the glass panel ....

Old 12-09-2020 | 11:34 AM

Stay vigilant ! I know how these mystery rattles can drive a person insane. Maybe take along a passenger with good ears for a ride and have them look around in the cabin while you are driving to try and better isolate the location. It's next to impossible to look around when you are driving unless you want to wind up in a ditch. Another odd place to check would be the pull back overhead sunshade. I found a mystery rattle in a jaguar XE that was a lose plastic strip on the sunshade tracks. Before that...I was sure the sound (rattle) was coming from somewhere by the glovebox! :-)

Old 12-10-2020 | 03:43 AM
|

Stay vigilant ! I know how these mystery rattles can drive a person insane. Maybe take along a passenger with good ears for a ride and have them look around in the cabin while you are driving to try and better isolate the location. It's next to impossible to look around when you are driving unless you want to wind up in a ditch. Another odd place to check would be the pull back overhead sunshade. I found a mystery rattle in a jaguar XE that was a lose plastic strip on the sunshade tracks. Before that...I was sure the sound (rattle) was coming from somewhere by the glovebox! :-)

I have checked the sunshades but everything seems okay. I am staying vigilant and trying to solve it . I have made an appointment at the dealer in two weeks but i dont think they will be able to locate it as I have tried different things.

Does someone have any other suggestions i can try?

Old 12-10-2020 | 08:57 PM

Here are another couple of points to try

This area seem flimsy and the cover is loose. Tap it with your finger and it will rattle. Stick a shim in there to see if it is relevant to you

I have a unknown Fakra plug the just ends as in the picture in between the seats.It doesn’t rattle for me but could as it ends just right next to a metal cross brace that runs across the back wall and could transmit a rattle to either side.

Last edited by Borbor; 12-10-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-12-2020 | 12:31 AM

It could be a loose bolt, nut or screw. I would try a "super magnet" and move it around the effected area and see if you feel or hear a connection.

Old 12-12-2020 | 01:14 AM
|

Thabk you all for the tips. I have tried everything but no succes at all, what occurs is when u drive into a bump the force seems to start the ticking. I have planned a visit at the 21st at the car shop to see if they can find it... i will keep you posted

Old 01-05-2021 | 12:15 PM
|

UPDATE :
i have done isolation of the back panel, doors etc but nothing helped. I decided to make an appointment at the Jag dealer and they told me that the noise is probably the csprings which were of poor quality of the year 2015-2016 which is the built year of my car. I have an appointment next week with them to check in real life.

Does anybody know this issue?

i have found a lot of problems with the F pace regarding the same problem.

https://www.fpaceforum.com/threads/h...x.11578/page-3

Old 01-07-2021 | 03:21 AM

This drove me mad, and not being able to install my lowering springs in the last week of 2020, I instead tore my trunk apart trying to find it. Long story short, I didn't. But I do think I partially fixed it.. as beforehand it would absolutely maddening and now it's intermittent.

I followed TheRock88's rear lowering spring guide to remove the trunk trim and found when I banged my hand on the adjacent pillar (circled in green) this black box would rattle.

I wedged a wooden block in the space with the red circle, along with putting some paper towel in between the black box and the silver frame, and it stopped rattling. Perhaps this silver frame mounted to the chassis was contributing to the rattle, as it doesn't seem as bad now.. my first 20 mile drive I heard NOTHING and was ecstatic. It came back after a spirited dynamic mode pull later.. although not as frequent.

Last edited by takeapieandrun; 01-07-2021 at 03:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
djyankees31 (01-07-2021)
Old 01-08-2021 | 02:37 PM
|

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
This drove me mad, and not being able to install my lowering springs in the last week of 2020, I instead tore my trunk apart trying to find it. Long story short, I didn't. But I do think I partially fixed it.. as beforehand it would absolutely maddening and now it's intermittent.

I followed TheRock88's rear lowering spring guide to remove the trunk trim and found when I banged my hand on the adjacent pillar (circled in green) this black box would rattle.

I wedged a wooden block in the space with the red circle, along with putting some paper towel in between the black box and the silver frame, and it stopped rattling. Perhaps this silver frame mounted to the chassis was contributing to the rattle, as it doesn't seem as bad now.. my first 20 mile drive I heard NOTHING and was ecstatic. It came back after a spirited dynamic mode pull later.. although not as frequent.
Really appreciate it! I experienced the noise starting after the wheels / body are unstable. So for example when i try to get on to a curb or a parking garage or i hit.a big hole and the wheels are being pushed inside..it is like a creaking noise and than my rattle starts. If the car has been sitting on a parking lot for a day and the road is flat nothing to hear.... really crazy

How about you?

Old 01-08-2021 | 09:54 PM

Mine was constant, exacerbated by rough road services. Sometimes, perhaps it was temperature related, but it wouldn't be as bad. I really can't say what triggered it.

I feel like these cars just have many potential points of rattling noises and we are all finding different ones. Lol.

Quick Reply: Ticking Noise interior making me crazy