F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking Noise interior making me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2021 | 09:53 AM
|

The car will go to the dealer this Thursday.. i will keep you updated. A diagnose technician will drive together with me to experience what i am hearing.

Lets hope they can locate it

Old 01-16-2021 | 11:23 PM

Just my opinion here...seems like these F-Types love rattling interiors. I actually have a metal-on-plastic rattle that is right behind my head unit, it seems. It used to only sound off on left turns, but now it makes the rattle on even speed bumps. Whatever was slightly loose, safe to say is completely loose now lol. Good luck finding yours, I'll tear apart the center console one of these days to locate it myself.

Old 01-17-2021 | 07:10 AM
Veteran Member

Chassis bonds have been known to come loose causing annoying sounds. That requires a Jag certified body shop to rebond chassis joints.

Old 01-17-2021 | 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MisplacedPriorities
Just my opinion here...seems like these F-Types love rattling interiors. I actually have a metal-on-plastic rattle that is right behind my head unit, it seems. It used to only sound off on left turns, but now it makes the rattle on even speed bumps. Whatever was slightly loose, safe to say is completely loose now lol. Good luck finding yours, I'll tear apart the center console one of these days to locate it myself.
This may sound crazy/odd, but a suggestion for you to try. Check the two hood latches (U bolts) where the rear of the hood catches when you close it. I tore my dash/glovebox apart and would have sworn that is what it was...Then tightened the hood latches and it fixed it.

It may not be your issue, but worth checking perhaps? And agree, these things do rattle a lot...Thankfully (when my car is not broken!) I have 200 Cell Cats and keep in sport mode, and listen to music rather loud...so fixes all rattles (except the speakers ).

Good luck,
DC

The following users liked this post:
MisplacedPriorities (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021 | 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

That adjustment is counter-intuitive. Turn the nut clockwise to loosen, counter-clockwise to tighten

Old 01-17-2021 | 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Therock88
This may sound crazy/odd, but a suggestion for you to try. Check the two hood latches (U bolts) where the rear of the hood catches when you close it. I tore my dash/glovebox apart and would have sworn that is what it was...Then tightened the hood latches and it fixed it.

It may not be your issue, but worth checking perhaps? And agree, these things do rattle a lot...Thankfully (when my car is not broken!) I have 200 Cell Cats and keep in sport mode, and listen to music rather loud...so fixes all rattles (except the speakers ).

Good luck,
DC
Thanks for that tip. Although it wasn't the cause of my specific rattling, it did solve another problem for me. The hood latch on the driver side had always been far more difficult to close than the passenger side, and it was sitting a bit low next to the fender. I extended the latch and raised the hood bump a bit, now it sits flush and closes without much hassle. The latch does wiggle a bit, but I see no way to stop that other than gluing it down, since I need that latch at a specific length.

I think the hood latch design is kind of flawed though. Whereas most cars allow you to adjust the lock where it latches, Jag decided to adjust the actual latch...honestly I can't tell if it's truly secure or not with that one nut holding it. I'll probably add a dab of blue threadlock just to be sure.

Old 01-17-2021 | 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MisplacedPriorities
Thanks for that tip. Although it wasn't the cause of my specific rattling, it did solve another problem for me. The hood latch on the driver side had always been far more difficult to close than the passenger side, and it was sitting a bit low next to the fender. I extended the latch and raised the hood bump a bit, now it sits flush and closes without much hassle. The latch does wiggle a bit, but I see no way to stop that other than gluing it down, since I need that latch at a specific length.

I think the hood latch design is kind of flawed though. Whereas most cars allow you to adjust the lock where it latches, Jag decided to adjust the actual latch...honestly I can't tell if it's truly secure or not with that one nut holding it. I'll probably add a dab of blue threadlock just to be sure.
Even though that adjustable loop rattles with the hood open, the hook will put enough tension on the hoop to keep it from rattling.

Old 01-18-2021 | 05:00 PM
|

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Chassis bonds have been known to come loose causing annoying sounds. That requires a Jag certified body shop to rebond chassis joints.

What do you mean by chassis bonds? How do they rebond the chassis joints? Is there any more information available somewhere?

Old 01-18-2021 | 06:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagFtypev6
What do you mean by chassis bonds? How do they rebond the chassis joints? Is there any more information available somewhere?
Chassis members are glued together these days. There’s at least one thread on this forum that hat has pics and videos of the process.

Old 01-19-2021 | 12:25 AM
|

Chassis members are glued together these days. There’s at least one thread on this forum that hat has pics and videos of the process.

Didnt know that! Okay, than i will try to find that post! Thank you

Old 01-19-2021 | 08:44 AM
|

We have plannend this friday to tear down the trunk compartiment and try to find it. I have read in several posts that the rattle comes from the B pillar and the panels attached by bolts to the chassis. I hope we can locate it... I will keep you posted.

Old 01-22-2021 | 09:52 AM
|

All the panels have come off and we were able to locate it. A few things were loose so we taped it but this didnt solved the issiue.The body panels which are glued / popped to the chasis at the B pillar are making the noise. If there is any flex in the chasis it rattles from the B pillar. The only option my friend and I can think off is that everything needs to be de-attached and reglued to the chasis by a bodyshop. Someone has mentioned this earlier that this was a known issue. The car is out of warranty so any tips or ideas?

Last edited by JagFtypev6; 01-22-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-23-2021 | 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

All the panels have come off and we were able to locate it. A few things were loose so we taped it but this didnt solved the issiue.The body panels which are glued / popped to the chasis at the B pillar are making the noise. If there is any flex in the chasis it rattles from the B pillar. The only option my friend and I can think off is that everything needs to be de-attached and reglued to the chasis by a bodyshop. Someone has mentioned this earlier that this was a known issue. The car is out of warranty so any tips or ideas?
A long shot maybe, but take it to your dealer and ask them to get JNA to pick up the expenses. This is a known issue with these cars and definitely a production flaw. The manufacturer should be held responsible fir something so basic, regardless of warranty limitation.

Old 01-24-2021 | 03:17 AM

This is the same general location I pinpointed to when I took my trunk interior out. Good to say we agree on that conclusion, at least. Disappointing that it seems like a critical flaw not very DIY friendly.

Old 01-24-2021 | 05:35 AM
|

I have read a post where the same noise was solved by loosening the fasteners at the B pillar and installed strip caulk between the panels to isolate the noise and than it was solved. I will print this solution and take it to my dealer. There is no point taking the full back compartiment off again as the noise is really at the B pillar.

Fingers crossed this will solve the issue before needing to take off the half car besides this i enjoy this car really but im disappointed of the built quality. I drove BMW / Audi / Mercedes and the built quality was far more superior compared to the Jag. I was shocked when I opened the trunk are, 0 isolation was used ... it were panels steel against steel.

Old 01-26-2021 | 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

I have read a post where the same noise was solved by loosening the fasteners at the B pillar and installed strip caulk between the panels to isolate the noise and than it was solved. I will print this solution and take it to my dealer. There is no point taking the full back compartiment off again as the noise is really at the B pillar.

Fingers crossed this will solve the issue before needing to take off the half car besides this i enjoy this car really but im disappointed of the built quality. I drove BMW / Audi / Mercedes and the built quality was far more superior compared to the Jag. I was shocked when I opened the trunk are, 0 isolation was used ... it were panels steel against steel.
You mean "aliminum against aluminum".