F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TImeout stereo

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015 | 07:57 AM
|
Default TImeout stereo

If the ignition is off and I start the stereo, it will timoeout and switch off after about 10-15 min. It will warn 1min before off.

Is there any way to increase this time?

Or is there any way to cancel the power off at the 1 min warning?

I haven't found anything about this in the instruction manuals.

Old 08-16-2015 | 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Not that I am aware of. Additionally, in previous cars, I was able to shut the engine off and still listen to the song on the radio or CD until I opened the door. As soon as I shut the engine off, the radio is off as well. I still have power to interior lights, but not the radio. Can this be changed as well?

Old 08-16-2015 | 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

I asked the same thing last year and got no positive response.

Old 08-17-2015 | 01:20 AM

For those of us with two batteries in the trunk it seems like we ought to be able to use the second battery to run the stereo as long as we wish. I'm sure there are modules involved that could be reprogrammed to work that way, in fact I would not be surprised if the stereo is using the second battery already and just the time out setting needs to be extended.

IMHO this is a prime example of this car needing to have it's code cracked by some smart hackers. This is an enthusiasts' forum; where are the enthusiasts with these skills? I don't have time to learn to write code but surely someone on here does.

There are a couple of dozen other things that could be tweaked that are likely just software. Examples include adding more bands to the equalizer, adjusting stereo crossover frequencies to get some of the bass out of the door speakers, playing videos on the nav screen while in motion, showing traffic on the nav screen, increasing the rev limiter, getting rid of the speed limiter, coping with changes to gear ratios or adapting a manual trans to the v8s, getting a first gear start in drive, showing engine status (oil pressure, actual temp, boost pressure) on the nav screen, defeating Eco mode...

I do hope it happens before too long. Ideally right about when my warranty expires and I stop caring about voiding it. If this were a mustang I suspect there would be a half a dozen guys offering these mods by now.

Old 08-17-2015 | 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

You're right. Low volume models like this one always "suffer" from a lack of available after-market mods. In some ways that's good because you don't see many cars mutilated by owners with bad taste, but there's also a down-side because there are some nice adds available for most higher-volume models.

Old 08-17-2015 | 09:28 AM
|

Thanks for your answers.

Now at least I understand that it is like this. It's not really a serious thing, just a small annoyance. Especially when being used to cars behaving like above, keeping on and allowing the the power off to be cancelled.

I can't really remember, but I think my last Jaguar, a 2010 XKR, did like that, stayed on, and allowed power off to be cancelled.

But again, not a big issue when the car is as wonderful as it is in all other aspects

Old 08-18-2015 | 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by MrSTarhouse
But again, not a big issue when the car is as wonderful as it is in all other aspects
The car is good, but it's far from wonderful.

There are a lot of little annoying things that the designers and engineers left out or overlooked. Many are little programming things that wouldn't have cost even a penny.

Old 08-18-2015 | 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

I assume this is the same thing that you are referring to...

I also have a Jeep wrangler as it is a good vehicle for the winter up here.. once I shut off the engine the stereo will play for a minute or so and then shut off, I assume to protect the battery.. If I open the car door within this time frame it also shuts off.

If I want to listen to the stereo further, I simply move the ignition to accessories.
Lawrence.

Old 08-18-2015 | 06:54 PM

I believe programming alterations are limited to keep vehicle more reliable for the masses. With open freedom to modify as described above may increase chance of equipment failure from people who don't know limits.

But when there's a will theres a way. I often take on challenges to change some things when I want them a certain way which differs from original design.

For example, I installed a module that alters operations with my convertible top. This module allows several parameters to be reprogrammed allowing me to "correct" things the way I think they have been designed. For example, when closing convertible top, everything is automated but windows do not close. Now mine does! And I felt the button to operate convertible top was backwards where we push forward for top to move downward the back, and pull backward for top to close in forward direction. Mine is now reversed which I believe is correct - pull back for top down and push forward for top up. I also made the button auto one-touch which makes it now operate like automatic windows. One momentary push or pull of the button and convertible top does its thing automatically without having to hold it. It also allows top operation from keyless remote.

As for stereo and possibility to alter crossover points and more precise equalization - I agree but crossover points were chosen with speaker hardware limitations in mind. I really don't like compression that is increased as volume is raised. It provide a sense of increased volume but I'd rather they limit volume and keep uncompressed dynamic range in tack. There are too many limitations to get excellent audio quality from stock equipment so I am learning whats inside to make most effective modifications. I have another thread discussing progress in great detail for those who want to know more about our cars. That thread on this forum is called "F-Type Stereo System Upgrade Planning".

I would also like to input video onto stock touch screen and with OBDII canbus within our cars, theres a ton of engine data available that would be nice to have access to on the screen as well.

Old 08-18-2015 | 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 0to60in4
I believe programming alterations are limited to keep vehicle more reliable for the masses. With open freedom to modify as described above may increase chance of equipment failure from people who don't know limits.

But when there's a will theres a way. I often take on challenges to change some things when I want them a certain way which differs from original design.

For example, I installed a module that alters operations with my convertible top. This module allows several parameters to be reprogrammed allowing me to "correct" things the way I think they have been designed. For example, when closing convertible top, everything is automated but windows do not close. Now mine does! And I felt the button to operate convertible top was backwards where we push forward for top to move downward the back, and pull backward for top to close in forward direction. Mine is now reversed which I believe is correct - pull back for top down and push forward for top up. I also made the button auto one-touch which makes it now operate like automatic windows. One momentary push or pull of the button and convertible top does its thing automatically without having to hold it. It also allows top operation from keyless remote.

As for stereo and possibility to alter crossover points and more precise equalization - I agree but crossover points were chosen with speaker hardware limitations in mind. I really don't like compression that is increased as volume is raised. It provide a sense of increased volume but I'd rather they limit volume and keep uncompressed dynamic range in tack. There are too many limitations to get excellent audio quality from stock equipment so I am learning whats inside to make most effective modifications. I have another thread discussing progress in great detail for those who want to know more about our cars. That thread on this forum is called "F-Type Stereo System Upgrade Planning".

I would also like to input video onto stock touch screen and with OBDII canbus within our cars, theres a ton of engine data available that would be nice to have access to on the screen as well.
Yes, I agree with your para. 1 theory, which is probably a good thing for the most part, but hackers can always find a way.

I do feel the convertible top "up/down" switch is the first where the designers got it right with the original design. My brain likes pushing down for top down, and pulling up for top up. I think everyone else has always had it backwards.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-18-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-19-2015 | 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not crazy...it's everyone else!

Old 08-19-2015 | 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
I'm not crazy...it's everyone else!
That's a rather strange interpretation of what I actually said. If convertible top switches had always been designed like the F-Type's, it would likely have become the preferred way, which everyone was used to. Down for down and up for up, makes perfect sense. However, virtually all convertibles have either had two buttons or a slider switch mounted above the windshield (as with a sunroof), so back made more sense for top or sun roof back.

The JLR single switch, up/down design on the console is the first time I've seen it done that way, and I think it's brilliant and a more sensible design, but people always have to be willing to adapt to better ideas.

Oh yeah, I forgot you don't have a convertible . . .

Last edited by Foosh; 08-19-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-19-2015 | 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
That's a rather strange interpretation of what I actually said. If convertible top switches had always been designed like the F-Type's, it would likely have become the preferred way, which everyone was used to. Down for down and up for up, makes perfect sense. However, virtually all convertibles have either had two buttons or a slider switch mounted above the windshield (as with a sunroof), so back made more sense for top or sun roof back.

The JLR single switch, up/down design on the console is the first time I've seen it done that way, and I think it's brilliant and a more sensible design, but people always have to be willing to adapt to better ideas.

Oh yeah, I forgot you don't have a convertible . . .
The mercedes switch is on the console and is the reverse of the f-type functionality. After ten years (my case) in a Mercedes it's tough to relearn. The smart top module allows the owner to pick their preference, touch the switch briefly and get on with other things. I'm a big fan of choice and convenience so I love the module.

The smart top module does add a lot of functionality to the car. I know you would not want or use the extra features, but most who have it do use the features and love them.