Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Chain V8

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 01:55 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Timing Chain V8

Hello all,
is there already experience how long the timing chain lasts? Has anyone already had the timing chain changed? How much costs should I expect from the Jaguar workshop?
Thank you so much...
Andi

Old 02-28-2023, 07:52 AM
Received 377 Likes on 174 Posts

There is going to be a huge debate on this. Short answer is unlike a timing belt, the timing chain "in theory" should last a lot longer. In some cases (for the life of your ownership of the car). If I had to take a guess, a well maintained car with the right oil change intervals and oil type could see a chain last 200k-300k miles. However, a lot can depend on the driving style and how well the car is maintained, plus any other issues that may come up. Timing chains, will less susceptible to being stretched like a belt (which is about a 100k miles lifespan), can still run into issues. Some have changed it "while in there" for other issues.

Based on a lot of conversations and feedback, About a year ago I switched to Liqui Moly's Top Tec 6600 series oil. It is JLR spec with additives to help protect timing chain wear. I am sure there will be other opinions on this, but my 2 cents on the topic.

Old 02-28-2023, 08:10 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

which additive for the protection of the timing chain is in this Top Tec 660? Very interesting, thank you for your answer

Old 02-28-2023, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Andi Jaguar G
which additive for the protection of the timing chain is in this Top Tec 660? Very interesting, thank you for your answer
I highly doubt LM is going to publicly share those details for competitive reasons, however you can read more about the oil here: https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/us/top...0-p004918.html

Having spent a lot of time talking with engineers at LM over the years and them also being a great supporter for a number of events I've hosted, so far I have all the confidence.

Old 02-28-2023, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Andi Jaguar G
It's not the proprietary additives in that oil as such, it's the formulation and additives that go into making an oil meet ILSAC GF-6A (which that oil meets).
One of the claims of ILSAC GF-6A is that it helps to prevent/slow down timing chain wear, more than the previous ILSAC GF-5.

The following users liked this post:
skizot (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
It's not the proprietary additives in that oil as such, it's the formulation and additives that go into making an oil meet ILSAC GF-6A (which that oil meets).
One of the claims of ILSAC GF-6A is that it helps to prevent/slow down timing chain wear, more than the previous ILSAC GF-5.
Good to know. Thanks for the share!

Old 03-03-2023, 08:15 AM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

You'll find me over at BITOG, the oil forums involved in some detailed discussions on this subject. Unfortunately, chains of all types last longest with a true 30 viscosity oil, (not the same a 0W-30 which contains Viscosity Index Improvers) as do piston rings. Add in fuel dilution from Direct Injection (reduces the oil viscosity), extended oil change intervals, (circulates dirty oil particulates for thousands of miles) and today's ultra low viscosity oils, and chains don't stand a chance.

This is why we see certain owners of Ford, GM, Hyundai/Kia and yes LR/Jag experiencing chain wear earlier than expected, often around 100K miles.

On Ford Ecoboost 3.5L engines, at around the 4000 mile mark, the oil is sufficiently diluted with fuel, and by 5000 miles contains a very high particle count. (remember, boosted, direct injection does contaminate oil faster) and the OCI (oil change interval is 10K). Clearly, one is circulating dirty oil for 5000 miles if a 10K OCI is used. 100K timing chain failures happen. Owners that choose a higher viscosity get better results, even with the longer OCI's. Owners who use a 5K OCI get 450K miles with no problems.

I won't suggest an oil. I will suggest a 5K OCI, and encourage you to pick the very best synthetic you can.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (03-03-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by cujet
You'll find me over at BITOG, the oil forums involved in some detailed discussions on this subject. Unfortunately, chains of all types last longest with a true 30 viscosity oil, (not the same a 0W-30 which contains Viscosity Index Improvers) as do piston rings. Add in fuel dilution from Direct Injection (reduces the oil viscosity), extended oil change intervals, (circulates dirty oil particulates for thousands of miles) and today's ultra low viscosity oils, and chains don't stand a chance.

This is why we see certain owners of Ford, GM, Hyundai/Kia and yes LR/Jag experiencing chain wear earlier than expected, often around 100K miles.

On Ford Ecoboost 3.5L engines, at around the 4000 mile mark, the oil is sufficiently diluted with fuel, and by 5000 miles contains a very high particle count. (remember, boosted, direct injection does contaminate oil faster) and the OCI (oil change interval is 10K). Clearly, one is circulating dirty oil for 5000 miles if a 10K OCI is used. 100K timing chain failures happen. Owners that choose a higher viscosity get better results, even with the longer OCI's. Owners who use a 5K OCI get 450K miles with no problems.

I won't suggest an oil. I will suggest a 5K OCI, and encourage you to pick the very best synthetic you can.
I would also highly recommend having Blackstone do an oil analysis for you. It will let you know the fuel dilution and lubrication properties of the oil at the time of change. Great way to know if you can go for a longer OCI or need to shorten it up. I moved to a bi-annual oil change (as I do not put enough mileage on the car to warranty waiting for 5k and every time I have sent this off (normally annually) I am always told I could go longer on my intervals, which makes me happy to keep doing as I am.