F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinted...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 09:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

~ i have been tinting my front windshield on all of my cars for a while.

~ 50% tint all on windows for me (very light film)... keeps it clean looking and looks balanced all the way around ... along with blocking out 50% of the suns rays ... rather subtle.

Last edited by andrew f type; 01-11-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by porsche356a
Pinnacle Ceramic - 50% windshield - 30% everywhere else...

~ looks great!

Old 01-11-2015, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Of course it does, but so would glass painted with gloss black paint (0%).

BTW, your 50% film was applied on factory glass already at 70%, so you're cutting half of that remaining light.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew f type

~ 50% tint all on windows for me (very light film)... keeps it clean looking and looks balanced all the way around ... along with blocking out 50% of the suns rays ... rather subtle.
The Ohio laws require at least 70% through the windshield and 50% elsewhere. With the OEM tinting you probably have no more than 45% through the windshield and 40% elsewhere. If you restrict your driving to daytime only, its your car. If you are driving at night, it's other peoples' lives. Use some judgment.
I'm less concerned with your side tinting. You're still close to the law and you can always open the window to see pedestrians at intersections at night.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by lhoboy
The Ohio laws require at least 70% through the windshield and 50% elsewhere. With the OEM tinting you probably have no more than 45% through the windshield and 40% elsewhere. If you restrict your driving to daytime only, its your car. If you are driving at night, it's other peoples' lives. Use some judgment.
I'm less concerned with your side tinting. You're still close to the law and you can always open the window to see pedestrians at intersections at night.
~ the front windshield is so light (at 50%) and at day or night driving you would be hard pressed to determine there's tint on the front windscreen looking out of it. this does not create a driver visibility issue at all. i guess you would have to drive it and see it in person up close to determine.

the window tinting companies always ask why i select such light film and i guess i like the sheen/shine to continue down the car and not broken up by the un-tinted glass... plus it blocks out 50% of the sun light to the interior.

cheers!

Last edited by andrew f type; 01-12-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

This does not create a driver visibility issue at all.
This is an opinion, not a true or false statement. Just ask yourself how you would feel if you were wrong and killed someone.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

~ the front windshield is so light (at 50%) and at day or night driving you would be hard pressed to determine there's tint on the front windscreen looking out of it. this does not create a driver visibility issue at all.
I don't think that's right. As Foosh and others have pointed out, if the factory tint is already 70%, then applying a 50% tint gets you to 35%, which is a driver visibility issue or, at minimum, very clearly perceivable from the outside by admirers and also by the police!

Old 01-12-2015, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
This is an opinion, not a true or false statement. Just ask yourself how you would feel if you were wrong and killed someone.
Yours is also an opinion, Stohlen, and opinions are like a$&holes - everyone's got one.

Whilst safety is definitely commendable, this is sounding a little bit melodramatic. Can you honestly say you've never, ever given your car the full beans on a city street when you thought no-one was looking? That's probably just as risky, if not more so, than the front window tint.

It's his choice, and his consequences, so let's give the soapbox a rest, hey?

The following users liked this post:
Joz132 (01-13-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 06:37 AM
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by OzRisk
Yours is also an opinion, Stohlen, and opinions are like a$&holes - everyone's got one.

Whilst safety is definitely commendable, this is sounding a little bit melodramatic. Can you honestly say you've never, ever given your car the full beans on a city street when you thought no-one was looking? That's probably just as risky, if not more so, than the front window tint.

...well said

Old 01-13-2015, 06:06 PM

i found this video online.

~

honestly when driving, it appears no different than looking through a pair of lightly tinted sunglasses. the windshield in person is nothing near 35%... i've never had one person (even car guys) ask if my front windshield has been tinted.

edit/note: (the car in the video has very dark tint at the top of the windshield and this means most likely the sides are dark too).

Last edited by andrew f type; 01-13-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:52 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

honestly when driving, it appears no different than looking through a pair of lightly tinted sunglasses. the windshield in person is nothing near 35%... i've never had one person (even car guys) ask if my front windshield has been tinted.

edit/note: (the car in the video has very dark tint at the top of the windshield and this means most likely the sides are dark too).
I don't think anyone is arguing about driving in bright daylight. The issue comes at night when your only source of illumination is from artificial lights.

I once forgot my clear visor for my helmet when riding my motorcycle home late at night. I used my tinted one as the wind in my face was just too much. I literally could only see lights (now dimmed) and anything that had reflective surfaces like the painted lines on the road or cats-eye reflectors. It turned my field of view into something out of Tron or a video game. Quite surreal, very stupid as I couldn't make out a single object on or beside the road and this was on city streets with regular your typical overhead lamp posts. Granted that was with a dark tinted visor, so it is the extreme end of things. But any tint at night is going to reduce visibility of objects that aren't directly lit up. That is a fact.

I like tint, I tinted my side and back windows. But there really should be a line drawn somewhere don't you think?

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (01-13-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Yes, everyone is talking exclusively about the dangers of too much tint at night, even through driver- and passenger-side windows, which are almost as important as the windshield.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

i found this video online.
Lol you can't use a video for reference, it automatically corrects for darkness and lightness defeating the whole purpose!

Old 01-13-2015, 07:34 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

I cant believe this thread still exists.
Even worse is the self-proclaimed "TINT POLICE" who continue to pile on with the negative opinions in this thread.

Give it a rest folks!!!

Its his car, he can do as he pleases.
I see dozens of cars with even darker tint every single day here in Southern California.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Joz132
...well said
Originally Posted by IronMike
I cant believe this thread still exists.
Even worse is the self-proclaimed "TINT POLICE" who continue to pile on with the negative opinions in this thread.

Give it a rest folks!!!

Its his car, he can do as he pleases.
I see dozens of cars with even darker tint every single day here in Southern California.
As per the above really........

I did leave this thread open, hoping that it wouldn't go this way, but as it turns out, my mistake.

Thread closed

The following 3 users liked this post by JimC64:
DuhCar (01-14-2015), OzRisk (01-14-2015), Unhingd (01-13-2015)