F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinting panoramic glass roof

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 02:06 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Tinting panoramic glass roof

Has anyone tinted their glass roof? I had my car tinted with 70% all around including the windshield using 3M Crystaline for the UV and heat protection.

However the shop refused to do the roof being that he could only access the exposed portion of the glass, and that the difference in temperature between the non-tinted portion and the tinted would cause it to shatter.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Prior to taking delivery of my car I had the dealer tint the windows (35% - darkest legal in TX) and Wrap the car with Xpel ultimate.

My pano glass is tinted. I thought it came that way, but I guess it could have been done with the other windows. Is the pano glass not factory tinted?

Old 01-05-2016, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Prior to taking delivery of my car I had the dealer tint the windows (35% - darkest legal in TX) and Wrap the car with Xpel ultimate.

My pano glass is tinted. I thought it came that way, but I guess it could have been done with the other windows. Is the pano glass not factory tinted?
The pano glass has a dark OEM tint, but may not be enough for some. However, that tint with the sunscreen deployed should be sufficient for most any circumstances other than a nuclear flash.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

I have 3M Crystaline tint on all glass including the Panoramic roof.

I directed my installer to use 70% on the Windshield; 40% on the Side Windows, and; 50% on the Rear Hatch and the Pano Roof together.

The story about the glass shattering sounds like BS from someone who didn't want to bother.

The reasoning behind the different levels of tint, if it isn't obvious, is this:
  • I went with the lighter 70% tint on the windshield for lightness and clarity while driving. You can't hardly tell it has anything more than the factory tint, but my eyes are also sensitive to the sun, so I wanted something more than factory.
  • I have a Black coupe, and wanted a little darker on the sides to better blend with the black paint. 50 there seemed to be too light, to easy to see in, and too much of a contrast between the windows and the exterior paint. 40% is perfect, and I've yet to experience any visibility issues at night, as many posters here seem to warn about.
  • The Rear Hatch is so small, and the blind spots so prominent, I did not want to go too dark there for fear of limiting nighttime visibility out the rear-view mirror. The 50% there was perfect, and in spite of my installers advice to the contrary, you can't tell, no matter what angle you view, that the sides are different than the back, or the windshield. With the Pano Roof also at 50%, I never have to close the sunshade, even here in sunny Southern Cal, even with my sun-sensitive eyes.

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (01-06-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by IronMike
I have 3M Crystaline tint on all glass including the Panoramic roof.

I directed my installer to use 70% on the Windshield; 40% on the Side Windows, and; 50% on the Rear Hatch and the Pano Roof together.

The story about the glass shattering sounds like BS from someone who didn't want to bother.

The reasoning behind the different levels of tint, if it isn't obvious, is this:
  • I went with the lighter 70% tint on the windshield for lightness and clarity while driving. You can't hardly tell it has anything more than the factory tint, but my eyes are also sensitive to the sun, so I wanted something more than factory.
  • I have a Black coupe, and wanted a little darker on the sides to better blend with the black paint. 50 there seemed to be too light, to easy to see in, and too much of a contrast between the windows and the exterior paint. 40% is perfect, and I've yet to experience any visibility issues at night, as many posters here seem to warn about.
  • The Rear Hatch is so small, and the blind spots so prominent, I did not want to go too dark there for fear of limiting nighttime visibility out the rear-view mirror. The 50% there was perfect, and in spite of my installers advice to the contrary, you can't tell, no matter what angle you view, that the sides are different than the back, or the windshield. With the Pano Roof also at 50%, I never have to close the sunshade, even here in sunny Southern Cal, even with my sun-sensitive eyes.
Hmm, what shop did you go with to have yours installed? I might have to give them a call.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:01 PM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

I tried to get the Panoramic Roofs tinted in our Land Rover, called about 5 or 6 places and nobody wanted to touch it. Lots of excuses about safety, glass fracturing, etc...

Eventually found a guy who would do it but he was booked out for a couple of months.

So in the end I cut up some black fabric and sewed it into the perforated blind. Totally blocks it out now.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
I tried to get the Panoramic Roofs tinted in our Land Rover, called about 5 or 6 places and nobody wanted to touch it. Lots of excuses about safety, glass fracturing, etc...

Eventually found a guy who would do it but he was booked out for a couple of months.

So in the end I cut up some black fabric and sewed it into the perforated blind. Totally blocks it out now.
I'm not looking for privacy tint, just something that blocks out a bit more UV and heat on hot days. I like having the shade open for light

Old 01-06-2016, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by TwiztOG43
Hmm, what shop did you go with to have yours installed? I might have to give them a call.
I used an independent installer who works out of Huntington Beach.
Got his number with a rock solid referral from a friend who tricks-out dozens of new cars every year for SEMA and various other car shows.

He's now tinted 3 cars for me. Does mostly mobile installs.

Sundial Window Tinting
Rick Schrader
Seven One Four - Five Nine Three - One One Zero One

Typed out his number to keep robots from capturing his number and flooding him with calls he neither wants or needs.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:55 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

This thread needs more pics of these beautifully tinted cars! I'm having my windows tinted this week as well. My plan is to go 55% front and 35% sides and rear. I'm worried it'll lose too much visibility, but the installer told me that they'll change it if I don't like it.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
This thread needs more pics of these beautifully tinted cars! I'm having my windows tinted this week as well. My plan is to go 55% front and 35% sides and rear. I'm worried it'll lose too much visibility, but the installer told me that they'll change it if I don't like it.
55% on the windshield would be the darkest I've heard anyone doing on their F-type.

Lots of pics throughout this thread of vic55's coupe. I didn't reread the thread but I believe he went 35% sides and rear.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...w-pics-124697/
Be sure to scroll through the first 40 posts or so.

Last edited by IronMike; 01-06-2016 at 11:34 PM.
LobsterClaws (01-07-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Here is my 2016 IRR with 35% on everything (except the windshield) on some bright sunny days.

Last edited by TXJagR; 01-06-2016 at 11:27 PM.
LobsterClaws (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 12:52 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
55% on the windshield would be the darkest I've heard anyone doing on their F-type.

Lots of pics throughout this thread of vic55's coupe. I didn't reread the thread but I believe he went 35% sides and rear.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...w-pics-124697/
Be sure to scroll through the first 40 posts or so.
Looks like Vic went 20% all around. Looks badass, but that might be even a bit too dark for me. I have 35% on the sides on my car now and like it, so I think that'll work out for me.

The 55% on the windshield does make me a bit nervous. I've read a lot on other forums of people that have 55% on their windshield and say it doesn't impact night-time driving at all, but I'll see when I get the car. Visibility is already not amazing in the car, so if it has any significant effect it's getting pulled right off.