F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tints, 20"s, and Mixed Feelings

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 07:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tints, 20"s, and Mixed Feelings

I decided to swap out my stock 19" wheels for some 10-spoke 20"s. These were custom ordered from Forgestar (Model: CF10) in Matte Silver. I also had the windows tinted. I think the windows came out great but I am not sold on the wheels, specifically the color. I think the size and style are great but the matte silver falls flat to me; more like a dull grey. I was hoping for a brighter silver that wouldn't clash with the chrome trim. I spoke to a wheel refinishing company and they want $250 / wheel. I'm torn, so I figured the opinions of internet strangers can't hurt. Interested to hear what everyone thinks.
- Cody

*First pic is the car as it sits today.
**Second is the wheel itself. I went through some vinyl wrap swatches at the shop doing the tints and the closest I could find was Metro Ceramic Matrix Grey.
***Third pic is my wheel compared to my friend's while in identical sunlight at a car show. ((Forgestar CF10 Matte Silver v. MMR FS06 Matte Silver))

Old 06-14-2022, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Always hard to tell from a photo. And subjective. But yes - to me that looks like flat grey vs a real silver with some sparkle to it

I would either redo in a silver with some sparkle. Or go a bit darker gunmetal also with some sparkle/depth to the finish. I wouldn't go black...
My other jag is black with chrome trim and tinted windows like yours. I have Rohana wheels in what they call 'brushed titanium' and love the look. More towards gunmetal with a depth/texture to the color. Worth looking around to see what appeals to you.

250 per wheel sounds steep. Particularly for new wheels in good condition without any curb rash etc. I would expect more like 150 each if you're doing four together. Maybe 200 max
But of course it depends and everything seems expensive now

Just one person's view

Last edited by BritCars; 06-14-2022 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2022, 08:34 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

No one can tell you what to like - well, they can, but if "we" say it looks great, would you change your mind about what looks good to you?

Companies invent color names almost entirely themselves, so the names mean nothing when comparing different brands.

Last edited by kb58; 06-14-2022 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-14-2022, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Lovely wheel design but yes, the matt grey doesnt really tie in to anything else on your car IMHO. If it was me I would change the colour, but then I recently spent a grand colour matching the callipers on my mustang, my priorities are all wrong.

Have you found a big improvement in ride and handling with the forged rims and conti's?

Old 06-15-2022, 06:24 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

why did you have to stick so many weights into the rim? Very unusual in my opinion!
Are these OEM rims that unbalanced?
BR
Andi

Old 06-15-2022, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by BritCars
Always hard to tell from a photo. And subjective. But yes - to me that looks like flat grey vs a real silver with some sparkle to it

I would either redo in a silver with some sparkle. Or go a bit darker gunmetal also with some sparkle/depth to the finish. I wouldn't go black...
My other jag is black with chrome trim and tinted windows like yours. I have Rohana wheels in what they call 'brushed titanium' and love the look. More towards gunmetal with a depth/texture to the color. Worth looking around to see what appeals to you.

250 per wheel sounds steep. Particularly for new wheels in good condition without any curb rash etc. I would expect more like 150 each if you're doing four together. Maybe 200 max
But of course it depends and everything seems expensive now

Just one person's view
Appreciate the response. I was also thinking the refinishing would be more in the $150/per range. I don't know if the darker gunmetal is the look I am going for but I will certainly check it out. I have one other local refinishing company to call and I am hoping for more reasonable prices.

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Lovely wheel design but yes, the matt grey doesnt really tie in to anything else on your car IMHO. If it was me I would change the colour, but then I recently spent a grand colour matching the callipers on my mustang, my priorities are all wrong.

Have you found a big improvement in ride and handling with the forged rims and conti's?
I would definitely recommend the Conti's. The ride quality is smoother than stock, though I went a little wider (9" front, 10.5" rear). I wanted to go with an "all season" tire as I plan on trying to stretch the use of the car into the fall when it cools off up here in NH.

-Cody

Old 06-15-2022, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Andi Jaguar G
why did you have to stick so many weights into the rim? Very unusual in my opinion!
Are these OEM rims that unbalanced?
BR
Andi
Good eye! The right front in that picture actually arrived with a bend/damage. Forgestar is remaking it as a warranty claim due to shipping damage. The shop was able to "balance" it so I can drive while I wait, but it took a significant amount of weight. There is a bit of a steering wheel shake on the highway but I'm choosing to live with it rather than let the car sit in the garage.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

When you say 'refinishing' the wheel, what does that entail? I have had good luck with powder coating. Price might be a little better, and you can get exactly the colour you want. Also have the wheel weights placed inside when reinstalling??
I think you have a beautiful car, maybe a little light on the wheel colour?

Old 06-15-2022, 08:30 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I like the style of the new wheels, but they look painted. I think they would look much better with a natural forged finish like your friend's MMR FS06 Matte Silver wheels.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
When you say 'refinishing' the wheel, what does that entail? I have had good luck with powder coating. Price might be a little better, and you can get exactly the colour you want. Also have the wheel weights placed inside when reinstalling??
I think you have a beautiful car, maybe a little light on the wheel colour?
They are currently powder coated according to Forgestar. Based on my internet research there are two options for refinishing. The easiest would be to have them scuffed/sanded, painted, and clear coated. This will give me the most flexibility on color an finish. The other would be to have them completely stripped and then either painted or re-powder coated. There are concerns about the stripping and powder coating stressing the wheel material as it would need to be heated again for the process. I have to wait a few weeks on the replacement front-right so I am making some calls in the mean time.

Old 06-15-2022, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

Would Forgestar do the replacement in a different finish that they would be able to replicate if they refinish the other 3?
Might be worth asking and at least you will only be paying for 3 to be redone.

Old 06-15-2022, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 318 Posts

They look Matt silver , here’s my 21” crystal/Argent silver , waiting for tyres, there brilliant shine with slight flicker in paint ceramic coated to

Last edited by powerhouse; 06-15-2022 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Pictures
Old 06-15-2022, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by powerhouse
They look Matt silver , here’s my 21” crystal/Argent silver , waiting for tyres, there brilliant shine with slight flicker in paint ceramic coated too
To me that is the perfect silver. I might have to screenshot one of these and use it as a reference with a potential refinishing company. Thanks for sharing.

- Cody

Old 06-16-2022, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member

Most powder coaters that I have worked with will sandblast a component first, then proceed with the powder coating. You might check with any in your area.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:09 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse View Post
They look Matt silver , here’s my 21” crystal/Argent silver , waiting for tyres, there brilliant shine with slight flicker in paint ceramic coated too

That finish would compliment the bright trim on your F Type very nicely

Old 06-16-2022, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

The good thing about our cars is that we can 'personalize' them. Do you wheels for you, not for anyone else.

Old 06-16-2022, 05:48 PM
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so if it doesn't do anything for you... I personally think the chrome or bright with black looks sharp- or powerhouse wheels look great too. I agree that the color you have falls flat on the car.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:16 PM
Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

May I ask, what style 19s did you remove?
David.

Old 06-20-2022, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by davidmaria1
May I ask, what style 19s did you remove?
David.
Here is a (dirty) picture from the day I brought it home. I certainly don't hate these wheels but I wanted to make it feel a bit more "my own" with the tints, side skirts, and wheels.

-Cody

The following users liked this post:
walko789 (06-20-2022)