F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips or Tricks for keeping your car clean?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Sonax also makes a superior tire treatment. It is extremely long-lasting, through many rain storms and washes, and does not turn the tire into a brownish color like many I've used.

It's labeled "gloss," but once dry it's just a nice satin black. I only feel the need to use it every other month because it keeps the tires looking good for a long time.
I'll try it; that brownish color left behind by other products really soured me on the tire treatment stuff.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 04-20-2016, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
I'll try it; that brownish color left behind by other products really soured me on the tire treatment stuff.

Thanks,

Dave

I had also quit using tire treatments until I discovered the Sonax Tire Gel. It goes on with a foam applicator, and a little goes a long way. It doesn't discolor or attract dirt.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:21 PM
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Looking at all the tips and can appreciate them, then I remember I live on a dirt road... California Duster has worked for me.

Also just ordered one of those spotless rinse thingies to try, found the best deal in Costco online.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (04-28-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 212 Likes on 189 Posts

I like Chemical guys, especially waterless wash, and sonax for wheels. On our other car I use a Megiuers wash/wax and blower dry. Also like Chemical guys tire finish but sonax almost as good.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:55 PM
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

Tip for convertible: rinse only (no shampoo) unless really necessary- keeps the repellant quality longer

Old 04-20-2016, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greggbhill
Tip for convertible: rinse only (no shampoo) unless really necessary- keeps the repellant quality longer
+1. That's exactly what I do, the top still looks spotless/brand new, and water still beads up in the rain after 2 years. I just spot clean when necessary with a mild upholstery cleaner.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:59 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Smile another way

for me

pressure washer
snow foam attachment
loads of microfibres
clay bar used with lots of water and soap, turned over numerous times
wash off each panel with fresh water not from a bucket
dry with a few big towels

and most importantly.....the outside tap which is a mixer tap and provides nice warm or hot water..........just right for a cool summers day in the UK and makes everything soap up better

Old 04-21-2016, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by ronniet
for me

pressure washer
snow foam attachment
loads of microfibres
clay bar used with lots of water and soap, turned over numerous times
wash off each panel with fresh water not from a bucket
dry with a few big towels

and most importantly.....the outside tap which is a mixer tap and provides nice warm or hot water..........just right for a cool summers day in the UK and makes everything soap up better
Agree with you on the fresh water. I use the water to also rinse the microfiber mitt. Which snow foam gun do you use with pressure washer? Do you use a separate hose for rinse or do you detach snow foam gun from pressure washer?

Old 04-21-2016, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

After wasting too much time and too much money on too many products and not ever ending up with the perfect look I wanted I have reached now the point where every new car goes straight to the detailer. Paint corrected, wrapped and then quartzed/glassed (whatever your preferred product is). I never touch my cars washing them except when dirt does not come off after power wash, foam lance and power wash. That is what the quartz/glass does, it is so smooth that dirt just rinses off.

The few spots, like behind the wheels where dirt is more embedded I use a microfiber sponge with lots of super slipper honey dew soap and wash it off after power wash and foam lance. Then when clean the car gets blow dried with a heated master blaster, never touched with a piece of cloth. The car ends up with now streaks, no swirls, and no new scratches in a show room shine. The quartz/glass lasts about 2-4 years depending where you live, how often you wash your car and whether you store it inside or out. It takes me about an hour to do one car including setting everything up. It takes me less than 30 minutes to get a car to showroom shine if I am already setup, without vacuuming and wiping down the interior of course. I do 4 cars in an afternoon.

Name:  12977248_10208934888067442_2501800419987510696_o.jpg
Views: 5322
Size:  547.6 KB
Name:  13002340_10208934888027441_7779118970552038997_o.jpg
Views: 5244
Size:  523.6 KB

superq7 (04-22-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Are you saying detailer uses a product like c quartz on top of a clear film like xpel? What did that run you over entire car?

Old 04-28-2016, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
I always wash my own sports or collector cars.....wouldn't let anyone else. I don't know about tips, but here's what I do;

- store them in a climate controlled garage with no direct sunlight
- hand wash using a clean microfibre cloth and car wash liquid (turtlewax is my current)
- wax with a heavy wax periodically depending on use
- use a duster to dust off between washings (a light cover would work too)
- I don't use much else; no tire shine, no armorall, nothing in the interior 'cept a damp microfibre.....may look into a leather conditioner for this car.

Dave
Man, I created a monster with this thread. I really had absolutely no idea how personal this gets! lol

I don't have a garage, but I do have a car port..... but the pollen!!!

I am going to compile all the ideas in this thread now... wish me luck!

Old 04-28-2016, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Compiling the thread:

It seems -

try and have a garage.
2 buckets: one warm soapy water, one fresh rinse bucket. Grit guards preferred.
Wash mits, no sponges. Ever. (any rec on a solid one you love?)
Pressure wash system like DI 120 CR Spotless System
Foam Gun.
Rinse with clean water.
Microfibre to dry. Never chamois. Never terry.

Tires should look matte and not glossy, so the only preferred solution is Sonax Tire Gel. (Is the tire gel for the tire, while the Meguiars is for the wheel?)

Wash the convertible top as seldom as possible, when you do water only. Keeps it water repellant much longer.

Products:

Spotless "wash and walk away" spotless water system:
Amazon.com: DI-120 Cr Spotless Water System: Automotive Amazon.com: DI-120 Cr Spotless Water System: Automotive

Tornador Pneumatic Foaming Gun (need air compressor connection):
Tornador® Pneumatic Foaming Gun - Griot's Garage

Pinnacle Foam Master Gun (no air compressor needed):
Amazon.com: Pinnacle Quart Foamaster Foam Gun with FREE BONUS: Automotive Amazon.com: Pinnacle Quart Foamaster Foam Gun with FREE BONUS: Automotive

5 gallon bucket with grit guard (not mentioned or approved in thread):
Amazon.com: Blackfire 5 Gallon Professional Wash Bucket with Grit Guard: Automotive Amazon.com: Blackfire 5 Gallon Professional Wash Bucket with Grit Guard: Automotive

Sonax Tire Gel:
Amazon.com: Sonax (235200-755) Tire Gloss Gel - 16.9 fl. oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Sonax (235200-755) Tire Gloss Gel - 16.9 fl. oz.: Automotive

or Meguiars Shine Gloss for Tires:
Amazon.com: Meguiar's G12024 Hot Shine High Gloss Tire Spray - 24 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Meguiar's G12024 Hot Shine High Gloss Tire Spray - 24 oz.: Automotive

Rag company microfibre detail starter kit:
Auto Detailer's Starter Microfiber Kit | The Rag Company

California Duster (this is perfect!! Thanks!):
Amazon.com: California Car Duster 62442 Standard Car Duster with Wooden Handle: Automotive Amazon.com: California Car Duster 62442 Standard Car Duster with Wooden Handle: Automotive

Someone explain the allure of quik detailer... just a nice finish to give gloss 'tween wax?:
Amazon.com: Meguiar's A3332 Quik Detailer Mist & Wipe - 32 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Meguiar's A3332 Quik Detailer Mist & Wipe - 32 oz.: Automotive
Amazon.com: Meguiar's G14422 Ultimate Quik Detailer - 22 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Meguiar's G14422 Ultimate Quik Detailer - 22 oz.: Automotive

Let me know what I left out. Apparently I am going to spend a few bucks here. LOL WAY cheaper than allowing my dealer's free wash ruin the paint, or a drive through (which seem totally dangerous in every way).....

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 04-28-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Padre (05-06-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member

I am getting xpel ultimate put on the front end and side skirts, with c quartz applied over the entire care. Should cut down on the whole process. Will still rinse microfiber mitt directly from hose with foam gun application of soap.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

You forgot the sonax wheel cleaner.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I wash my cars a couple of times a week, not so much because they get dirty, but because I find it among the most relaxing things I can do in 30 minutes; it's just plain soothing to me. Also, if you own a Jaguar, you necessarily have tons of brake dust after only a few miles of driving. I prefer Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash (sometimes available at Costco) but will use anything like Armor All Wash or Turtle Wax. I use a small window washing bucket that has two small compartments that I fill with soap and water. I wash with microfibre towels. After washing, I dry with the heavier napped side of newer microfibre towels. Newer because after a dozen or so dryings, the nap is pressed down and much harder (potential for swirls etc.). After the newer microfibres are no longer real soft, they become the new batch of the washing rags. I recently tried Meguiar's Ultimate Synthetic Paste Wax and was impressed with how easily it spread and wiped off. We'll see how long it lasts.

As for the wheels, I will admit I have not tried the Sonax products, but I find a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and water sprayed all over the wheels and tires along with the microfibre rags that have been retired from the wash bucket clean them very thoroughly. After cleaning each wheel and wiping down the excess water, I will wipe completely dry with a fresh dry microfibre. On my car with silver wheels, this last step is not as important as it is on the car with black wheels. The last step takes away the water streaking and leaves the wheels bright and shiny.
And by the way, that is the best way to do the windows as well: wipe away excess water, leaving them damp but without drops, followed immediately by a very dry, lint free, microfibre "buff."

I have red calipers which get cleaned while doing the wheels, however, I'm often too lazy to back the car up a few inches in order to clean the parts of the calipers hidden behind the wheel spokes. So, I will usually have rags in my trunk and after I've stopped somewhere, I'll clean the rest of the caliper in its new position.

For tailpipes, about every six months I'll take 0000 steel wool and Mother's Metal polish and bring them back to new.

Everyone has their own routine, it's kind of fun reading about all of them.

Attached Thumbnails Tips or Tricks for keeping your car clean?-dscf1871-1280x960-.jpg  

Last edited by tberg; 04-28-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:20 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Man, I created a monster with this thread. I really had absolutely no idea how personal this gets! lol

I don't have a garage, but I do have a car port..... but the pollen!!!

I am going to compile all the ideas in this thread now... wish me luck!
Trust me, hands down best soap, best wash pad (blows microfiber mitt away) and best drying towel!

Adam's Car Wash Detailing Trio | Car Washing Supplies Trio

Old 04-29-2016, 07:49 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,403 Posts
jaguny (05-06-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS

+1 Between these and Sonax, I brake dust is no longer a concern.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

You can find a lot of accessories for your car care needs here:

Car Care Products, Detailing Supplies, Auto Accessories - Griot's Garage 800-345-5789

(I'm more referring to buckets, wash mits, towels, etc)

Old 05-06-2016, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

does anyone else own a master blaster? Looks much easier than using a leaf blower. Less cumbersome. Thinking about buying one but I don't know if my garage outlet is on a 20A breaker, which I'm reading is necessary.

Schwabe (05-09-2016)

Quick Reply: Tips or Tricks for keeping your car clean?