F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips or Tricks for keeping your car clean?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 01:56 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
does anyone else own a master blaster? Looks much easier than using a leaf blower. Less cumbersome. Thinking about buying one but I don't know if my garage outlet is on a 20A breaker, which I'm reading is necessary.
I have one, it works great. My garage is not on a 20A, but as long as everything else on the circuit is off it's ok, if anything else is on, it can trip the breaker. And your extension cord needs to be heavy duty. The hardest part was deciding to buy it, because it's so expensive. Amazon was the cheapest I found it. It will dry your car fast so all you need to do is go over it with some detail spray and a micro fiber to take care of any water spots.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I have the 4.0 hp metro vac kit. It is very good for vacuum but for drying is only best for blowing out water in panels seams, mirrors, etc. At double the hp I expect the Blaster can do the dring. If the Blaster doesn't come with the micro brush kit, I'd get this attachment set. The small brushes are great for vacuuming dash, controls, crevices, etc to pick up the dust and small stuff that collects there. Made in USA too.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by jaguny
I have the 4.0 hp metro vac kit. It is very good for vacuum but for drying is only best for blowing out water in panels seams, mirrors, etc. At double the hp I expect the Blaster can do the dring. If the Blaster doesn't come with the micro brush kit, I'd get this attachment set. The small brushes are great for vacuuming dash, controls, crevices, etc to pick up the dust and small stuff that collects there. Made in USA too.
The master blaster doesn't work as a vacuum.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

Too bad it doesn't vacuum, that is a lot of money for just a dryer.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 991 Likes on 742 Posts

Too bad it doesn't vacuum, that is a lot of money for just a dryer.
That's why I got the Blaster Sidekick. It's good for getting water out of seams, mirrors, grilles, and it quite a bit cheaper. It's typically $80 at autogeek, rather than $325 for the Master Blaster.

jaguny (05-08-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I carry a bottle of quick detailer in the trunk of every one of my cars mainly for bird poop, insect splatters, etc. Anything that get on my cars I wipe it away the moment I notice it. I don't wait till I get home. Of course keeping a good coat of wax also helps to keep stuff from sticking, makes it easier to remove and slows down any chemical reaction that might be doing damage. It's also useful when I take one of my vintage cars to a car show. I can wipe off any dirt that got on the car en-route to the show, like a splash around the wheel well or such.

One of my coworkers drives a BMW650 convertible, rarely ever washes it and I'm sure its never been waxed. A few months ago, I noticed a half-dollar sized poop on the car and it stayed there for at least two months before it finally got washed or probably run through an automatic car wash at a gas station. The outline of the poop is now very obviously "engraved" in the clear coat along with most everything else that's ever settled on that car. Very few car owners are as obsessive-compulsive as those in this thread, but I don't understand how anyone can spend that kind of money on a car and not at least wash it by hand once a week.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
I carry a bottle of quick detailer in the trunk of every one of my cars mainly for bird poop, insect splatters, etc. Anything that get on my cars I wipe it away the moment I notice it.
+1. I hardly ever wash the car. Occasionally, I'll rinse it and blow dry, but with the cQuartz and XPel, I don't really need to wash. Just don't drive it through the mud.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:42 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. I hardly ever wash the car. Occasionally, I'll rinse it and blow dry, but with the cQuartz and XPel, I don't really need to wash. Just don't drive it through the mud.
+2

I actually have a little carrying case of supplies from Griot's garage in the boot and can take care of anything that needs a cleaning. As Unhingd said, avoid driving in mud and you should be relatively fine with a quick detailers mist/speed shine.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

You forgot the sonax wheel cleaner.

Yes, the Sonax FULL EFFECT wheel cleaner is missed and one you definitely want in your collection. I WON'T use anything else, period!

Originally Posted by DJS
+1 on wheel woollies.
I actually have a long handled brush for going straight through and generally use a 2" std paintbrush to agitate the Sonax / shampoo for maximum best results.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy
Jim

jaguny (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Are you saying detailer uses a product like c quartz on top of a clear film like xpel? What did that run you over entire car?

yes they do, the C Quartz portion of the bill was about $1,300 to 1,600 or so.

I have a new Golf R as my daily and that they only sealed and I can tell you the difference is amazing. the F Type I can blow dry the hood, side panels etc from one direction and the water beads off until the end. On the Golf the water does not stay beaded and I have to do each panel maybe 5-10 inches at a time to get it dry.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
does anyone else own a master blaster? Looks much easier than using a leaf blower. Less cumbersome. Thinking about buying one but I don't know if my garage outlet is on a 20A breaker, which I'm reading is necessary.

the one to have, compared to leave blower you have hot air helping drying your car. Only way to dry, you dry the car in areas no chamoix can get to ...

Old 05-09-2016, 01:40 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,111 Likes on 1,409 Posts

I believe I emailed Master Blaster a year or two ago, to ask about the 20A requirement. My memory is that it will most likely be fine on a 15A circuit, as long as other equipment isn't on at the same time - as a previous poster said.

They said that there isn't a separate heater you could turn on/off - it uses the heat that the motor produces to heat the air.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
I believe I emailed Master Blaster a year or two ago, to ask about the 20A requirement. My memory is that it will most likely be fine on a 15A circuit, as long as other equipment isn't on at the same time - as a previous poster said.

They said that there isn't a separate heater you could turn on/off - it uses the heat that the motor produces to heat the air.
Your right the motors just heat up and it blows warm air. My breaker is 15A and it works as long as your not using other things on that same circuit at the same time. It's powerful too, you don't want to let go of the hose.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Master blaster ordered!

New version called the revolution with spinning wheels instead of fixed, and 30 ft hose.

I'll be able to hang it on the garage wall and not have to worry about the extension cord sitting in all the water in my driveway.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

What are you using for a vacuum?

Old 05-10-2016, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Old 05-10-2016, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Yes, about like the difference between Heinz Ketchup and Heinz Mustard. One is a tire dressing, and the other is the world's best wheel cleaner. :-)

BTW, I'd recommend you buy the Sonax Full Effect by the gallon.

JimC64 (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, about like the difference between Heinz Ketchup and Heinz Mustard. One is a tire dressing, and the other is the world's best wheel cleaner. :-)

BTW, I'd recommend you buy the Sonax Full Effect by the gallon.

Totally, on all counts!!

Sonax tyre gel is a product to blacken your tyres in a gel form, great little product, goes on well and lasts, helps prevent tyre sling too.

Sonax FULL EFFECT ( MUST be the FULL EFFECT version ) is quite simply one of, if not THE best wheel cleaner on the market today.
Totally acid free and does everything it says it can do and more.
Yes, definitely agree on buying in bulk, the 5 ltr jug is the best. To put things into perspective, the 500 fl oz over here is around £16 + shipping

If you buy the 5 ltr jug it will fill approx. 10 of these and clearly the price works out significantly cheaper. I've just bought my 2nd 5 ltr jug a few weeks ago.

Jim

Old 05-10-2016, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

My detailer used iron X in the prep process to remove iron particles on the paint. He said there was quite a lot of particles on the surface. I see iron x is recommended for cleaning wheels but does not appear to be safe for all components. Anyone use this product?

Old 05-10-2016, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member

My detailer used iron X in the prep process to remove iron particles on the paint. He said there was quite a lot of particles on the surface. I see iron x is recommended for cleaning wheels but does not appear to be safe for all components. Anyone use this product?
Here's my 2c worth and some members may differ, but here it is....

I also had heard of Iron X as a product and looked into it, I actually called the manufacturer iirc and discussed trying the product and my concerns, they actually sent me out a small sample bottle.
Yes it seems pretty good at removing baked on brake dust and "iron filings from train tracks etc" but here's the caveat, it STINKS to high heaven, I just couldn't get around it at all, period!

Sonax FULL EFFECT does the same job and or better, certainly IMO ( I should add at this point that I do no work for or have any allegiance to Sonax ) Just simply put, absolutely blown away with this product and recommend it to anyone and everyone.

It does what it says it will do and more
It is totally acid free
It even smells quite nice
I've sprayed it liberally on my hands with zero effect
I've actually sprayed it on my paintwork using it as a de tarring method, washing quite soon afterwards with zero ill effects.

Iron X was and is a cheaper product and I decided to pay considerably more ( buying in similar sizes ) for a better, all round safer product....in my opinion.

I know what my money's on
Jim

The following 3 users liked this post by JimC64:
jaguny (05-11-2016), Mbourne (05-10-2016), Smoke Em (05-10-2016)

Quick Reply: Tips or Tricks for keeping your car clean?