F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips or Tricks for keeping your car clean?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
Totally, on all counts!!

Sonax tyre gel is a product to blacken your tyres in a gel form, great little product, goes on well and lasts, helps prevent tyre sling too.

Sonax FULL EFFECT ( MUST be the FULL EFFECT version ) is quite simply one of, if not THE best wheel cleaner on the market today.
Totally acid free and does everything it says it can do and more.
Yes, definitely agree on buying in bulk, the 5 ltr jug is the best. To put things into perspective, the 500 fl oz over here is around £16 + shipping

If you buy the 5 ltr jug it will fill approx. 10 of these and clearly the price works out significantly cheaper. I've just bought my 2nd 5 ltr jug a few weeks ago.

Jim
Sonax Full Effect really is the most amazing product, and I've been battling brake dust on at least a dozen German cars for decades. The battle has been won by Sonax, and it's now a quick and simple job for wheels that will stay looking brand new for years.

I also use the Sonax Tire Gel. It puts a nice satin finish on the tires and lasts through multiple rain storms and/or washes, unlike the shiny, greasy stuff.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-10-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:40 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Sonax Full Effect really is the most amazing product, and I've been battling brake dust on at least a dozen German cars for decades. The battle has been won by Sonax, and it's now a quick and simple job for wheels that will stay looking brand new for years.

I also use the Sonax Tire Gel. It puts a nice satin finish on the tires and lasts through multiple rain storms and/or washes, unlike the shiny, greasy stuff.
Well, now adding yet another few bottles to my collection in the garage. Thanks a lot guys ugh!!!

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (05-11-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 01:05 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I tried the sonax products for my tires and black wheels. I must say I am not impressed and believe soap and water produced a similar effect, especially with the black wheels (the tires did look slightly better though). I think perhaps most suggestions here touting sonax came from non black wheel owners. I really wanted something to produce a shine. So I decided to contact my dealer and they said they use a solvent based product called ardex buster wheel cleaner. They buy it wholesale. I will be looking into this.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myironlung
I tried the sonax products for my tires and black wheels. I must say I am not impressed and believe soap and water produced a similar effect, especially with the black wheels (the tires did look slightly better though). I think perhaps most suggestions here touting sonax came from non black wheel owners. I really wanted something to produce a shine. So I decided to contact my dealer and they said they use a solvent based product called ardex buster wheel cleaner. They buy it wholesale. I will be looking into this.
Was just about to buy this to try but I thought I would check back here first....i have black wheels so maybe I will wait and see what you find out

Old 06-12-2016, 07:33 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Mothers waterless wax and wash --- use on car , glass , plastic and wheels -- my car always looks like it was just waxed ( 10 minutes max) and I only do traditional water wash every 2 or 3 months ----- try it - you will be surprised !!!!!!

Old 06-16-2016, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Does anyone have an electric pressure washer they would like to recommend for automotive use? The only pressure washer I have ever used was a gasoline rental that I used to strip my deck. I looked at a couple of electric models at Home Depot but the hose connections were plastic and just seemed doomed for failure.

Uncle Fishbits (06-17-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Rejex

Who still washes cars?

Old 06-16-2016, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Who still washes cars?
You kidding me? Next to caressing my beautiful wife, washing and caressing any of my cars, especially the F-Type, is a very sensual and sensuous endeavor. One of the [many] joys in life.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 06-16-2016 at 04:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
Inspector-G (06-16-2016), JimC64 (06-16-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
You kidding me? Next to carassing my beautiful wife, washing and carassing any of my cars, especially the F-Type, is a very sensual and sensuous endeavor. One of the [many] joys in life.
Ha Ha, I guess I gotta skip a REJEX treatment so I can remember what that felt like. It's been a while.

The idea behind Rejex is a thin, slippery, shiny, polymer shell that nothing can stick to. Therefore to "wash" the car, you can simply air blow it or wipe with a duster and the car looks squeaky clean again. Even freeway driving is usually enough to blow clean the car. It's an amazing product if the goal is avoiding washes for as long as possible between cleanings.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-16-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

I avoid [speeding] tickets, not washing my cars. I wish I could avoid the annual pollen season here...its been very bad - as DJS can likely attest - and by the time I'm finished washing one of my car's there's already a thin layer of pollen.

First world problem to be sure.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I wish I could avoid the annual pollen season here...its been very bad - as DJS can likely attest - and by the time I'm finished washing one of my car's there's already a thin layer of pollen
+1. Same thing here.

Uncle Fishbits (06-17-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Ha Ha, I guess I gotta skip a REJEX treatment so I can remember what that felt like. It's been a while.

The idea behind Rejex is a thin, slippery, shiny, polymer shell that nothing can stick to. Therefore to "wash" the car, you can simply air blow it or wipe with a duster and the car looks squeaky clean again. Even freeway driving is usually enough to blow clean the car. It's an amazing product if the goal is avoiding washes for as long as possible between cleanings.
My car is professionally sealed with one of the many silica products out there. There is nothing more "slippery." Certainly doesn't obviate the need for washing after rain / snow / etc. Must be nice in California.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

P.S. since y'all were a fat lot of help, I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/Joe-SPX3000-E.../dp/B00CPGMUXW

Next on my list is one of those DI systems

Old 06-16-2016, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

I avoid [speeding] tickets, not washing my cars. I wish I could avoid the annual pollen season here...its been very bad - as DJS can likely attest - and by the time I'm finished washing one of my car's there's already a thin layer of pollen.

First world problem to be sure.
Try rejex. Pollen is the least concern. It won't stick. Worst case, just blow it and dust off with air. Wash like once every two weeks or so.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:46 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just purchased my F Type two days ago and have really enjoyed reading this thread. There is an Xpel installer 2 hours from me and what photos I have seen of there work the pretty much cover the entire front cap and behind the tires. They don't use CQuartz but a product called Gyeon Mohs + Glass Coating, has anyone had any experience with this product?

Old 06-17-2016, 07:22 AM
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone here used Meguiars ultimate detailer ? Down here in Miami with all the rain and construction it's impossible to keep the car clean. I wash the car and in a drive or 2 you have dirt and spots everywhere. This detailer seems like a godsend to maintain the car clean between washes just curious if it does any damage to the paint long run.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MiamiFtype
Anyone here used Meguiars ultimate detailer ? Down here in Miami with all the rain and construction it's impossible to keep the car clean. I wash the car and in a drive or 2 you have dirt and spots everywhere. This detailer seems like a godsend to maintain the car clean between washes just curious if it does any damage to the paint long run.
Yes, it is an excellent product. The only risk is in introducing swirl marks caused by dirt particles, etc. on the car. If you use plenty of the product such that the paint surface is alway wet when removing the light dust and dirt along w/ clean, high-quality microfiber towels, that risk is reduced.

You don't see the swirls on light colors, but swirl marks are much more noticeable on dark colors. The good news is that a good paint correction can always remove the swirls since they are only in the top layer of the clear coat. However, it shouldn't be much of an issue on your light silver car.

Meguiars Ultimate Detailer also adds to whatever protective coating is on the paint.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-17-2016 at 08:00 AM.
MiamiFtype (06-18-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 08:37 AM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
Does anyone have an electric pressure washer they would like to recommend for automotive use?
My advice is stay away from the electric models. I've had nothing but bad experiences with different brands - they all fail after a year or two. I've had a Briggs & Stratton gas model now for 4 years and it is running just as well as when I bought it - a great investment. Annual oil change and pump saver spray, and you're good to go.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by sybarite
I've had a Briggs & Stratton gas model now for 4 years and it is running just as well as when I bought it - a great investment.
+1.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sybarite
My advice is stay away from the electric models. I've had nothing but bad experiences with different brands - they all fail after a year or two. I've had a Briggs & Stratton gas model now for 4 years and it is running just as well as when I bought it - a great investment. Annual oil change and pump saver spray, and you're good to go.
It's funny how experiences differ. I've had a "Clean Force" 1800psi, 1.5gpm electric power-washer (made in the USA) for 4 years, which is maintenance-free, never had any problems, and is still bullet-proof. I use it weekly except in the coldest part of the winter on all the vehicles listed below that I have to maintain, including the 45' diesel motorcoach, so it gets a lot of very hard and long usage.

The more expensive gas-powered model I had previously was plagued w/ leaking pump and valve problems about once a year, and it was a cranky starter.

Quick Reply: Tips or Tricks for keeping your car clean?