F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips or Tricks for keeping your car clean?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Responding to AbyJag:

1) I don't huff the Sonax fumes, but yeah, it's a weird smell. Iron-X smells the same. I'll look up P21 when it's time to restock.
2) I got the smallest Masterblaster. It's the one marketed for motorcycles, and it was marked *way* down at autogeek.net. I wouldn't use it for the whole car, but it's fine for things like mirrors, panel gaps around lights, lug nuts, etc.
3) I don't bring food or beverages into the car
4) I already do the worst thing possible for the finish: I drive the car. I keep it clean and use quality coatings on the paint, but not film. I have my areas of OCD, but was cured of exterior perfection for vehicles that get used by a serious of unfortunate events over the years.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I have a full 4+4 master blaster I use on our Maserati , black. It works great but i still get some water spots even using soft water. Dries too fast in Vegas even in our so called winter.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:14 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
I have a full 4+4 master blaster I use on our Maserati , black. It works great but i still get some water spots even using soft water. Dries too fast in Vegas even in our so called winter.
Ya, tell me about it. I have to wash my car at 6 in the morning while I still have some shade on my driveway. Then I still have to dry the car quick as I can and still do a good job, or like you state, there will be water spots.
I use the good old tried and true Carnauba Wax. so if I am waxing the car that day I don't have to rush the drying as the wax will take care of any light water spot. But with 6% humidity it does dry quickly.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:47 AM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

My secret weapon for daily "dusting" . I don't have a covered garage here in Los angeles, and I'm constantly battling gardeners who are blowing dust everywhere with their leaf blowers. Some days are worse than others, but I can always count on some dust and sometimes leaves on the car. Enter the Makita shop blower. I have used this almost daily for years and with several cars. Blows the layer of dust off without scratching, and I keep it in the trunk ready to go. I already had Makita batteries and charger so it made sense. It will also help with drying, although I use an electric leaf blower for that. Here is the Makita link

Amazon Amazon

Old 07-25-2019, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Noshame
Ya, tell me about it. I have to wash my car at 6 in the morning while I still have some shade on my driveway. Then I still have to dry the car quick as I can and still do a good job, or like you state, there will be water spots.
I use the good old tried and true Carnauba Wax. so if I am waxing the car that day I don't have to rush the drying as the wax will take care of any light water spot. But with 6% humidity it does dry quickly.
Why not also just use a quick wax after a wash to remove any spots? Megs or Griot's work just fine for this.

The following users liked this post:
Noshame (07-25-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 01:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Yes, I use Megs Quick wax just not every week. I use a Chemical Guys wash with a little carnuba that I like on the Maser. On the Jag I use waterless so no spots!

Old 08-10-2019, 10:45 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

My better half discovered Norwex Window Cloths and Microfiber Towels. She cleaned our house windows and the results were crystal clear glass with no smudging. These cloths clean the glass with water only, no cleaners, no chemicals. This evening I was driving home into the sun and the smudges on my window were very noticeable and distracting. I tried my wife's Norwex Window Cloths. The whole process cleaning both the interior film and outside of the front window only took about 2 minutes with no smudging or streaking, amazing. Just follow the directions using water only. They're pricy, but cheap in the long run.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:50 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Yes, if the window isn’t too dirty, a damp microfiber cloth followed by a dry one works well.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:04 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Yes, if the window isn’t too dirty, a damp microfiber cloth followed by a dry one works well.
Followed by buffing with a lint free 100 % cotton cloth (I use diapers) to remove the little micro fibers. Yes, clean w/micro fiber cloth soaked in hot water and wrung out, dried with a separate micro and polished to remove shinny bits. No need for any cleaning agent.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Will this procedure remove off gassing (not the human kind) film from VOC's on the inside of glass? This type of film buildup minimized over time as the VOC's from materials stabilizes. I found the Gliptone glass cleaner cuts its without streaking.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:20 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

It seems to if you do it frequently enough, but it doesn't work as well if there's a lot of buildup.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Regarding chemical guys wheel woolies, the cleaning tips online seemed a bit vague. Mine are still pretty coated, and now down the inception rabbit hole.... I need to know how to clean my cleaning products. How do you guys keep yours clean?

Old 08-20-2019, 02:34 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

I hose mine off when I'm done with them, then shake them off. But I'm probably not the one to ask about cleaning products...

Old 08-20-2019, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Regarding chemical guys wheel woolies, the cleaning tips online seemed a bit vague. Mine are still pretty coated, and now down the inception rabbit hole.... I need to know how to clean my cleaning products. How do you guys keep yours clean?
If you really want to geek out about car cleaning and cleaning gear care, check out the following forum:

https://www.autopia.org/forums/forum.php

I did find this which may help:
https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2017...l-woolie-care/

Old 08-20-2019, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Wheel woolies, brushes, etc. I hose them down and hang them up to dry. All other microfiber, etc gets washed with vinegar and dried on low heat.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I throw all my cleaning gear in the washing machine by themselves. (Nothing but micro fiber cloths).

Old 08-30-2019, 04:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

I just tried polish angel products today for the first time, the "passion" cream for red paint and then a spray on artificial wax. Putting the stuff on is easy peasey, and getting it off is no work at all. The finish is pretty amazing actually, a really deep lustre.

It is all packaged nicely as well. I'd have to say I am mightily impressed, worth the expense.

https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/...red-paint.aspx

Old 10-15-2019, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Well I'm going to beat off about this polish angel some more because it is truly the best stuff I have ever used. So I had used the "passion" creme and then followed that up by 2 goes of Rapidwaxx. Anyway it has been on for 6 weeks now and I dont think I washed the car in that time so prior to the weekend the car was quite dirty - a fair amount of dust and a bit of mud. Anyway on Saturday we finally got a fair bit of rain and I drove the car around in that and didnt dry it off or wash it afterwards, but the car looks like it has been freshly waxed - no watermarks, pretty much all traces of dirt are gone. It looks as though you could just hose the car and not even bother drying it.

Here it is, after 6 weeks of use as a daily in essentially drought conditions (so very dusty), no washes, just decent rain on the weekend. The picture might not show how nice it is, but this stuff is seriously good.

The following users liked this post:
knives (10-15-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 10:41 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Cool. Thanks. I like your splitter pin stripng.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member

Cheers, actually what it is is that I had the red skirts wrapped but told them to leave the last 10mm paint, which goes quite nicely with the rear diffuser anyway. I have been looking at the red edge to FTypeStormTrooper's (sp?) front spoiler and think I might do likewise to make it consistent around the car.

Quick Reply: Tips or Tricks for keeping your car clean?