F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure Monitor Display Setting

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 05:52 PM
Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Monitor Display Setting

What is the default display setting for units for F Typed delivered in Canada? bar or KaPa? I changed mine from the menu from whatever the default was to PSI, and now the TPMS software in the car won't sync with with the signal from the sensors in the rims.

I read somewhere here that someone had a problem where the factory had installed the "wrong" sensor in one rim,and that rim would not sync. So I'm thinking/guessing that the sensors report in a specific unit, like bar maybe, and that what I changed in the menu was not just a "display" setting but the setting that tells the car what units the rims will report in, and that the two have to match. Can anyone confirm that?

I've read and tried the drill about setting pressures perfectly and giving the car 75 miles to sync, and tried that with all three setting choices with no luck so far. I want to confirm what the setting should be before I go any further.

Next step will be to fit some Pilots to replace the Pirelli's and change the sensor batteries while we are at it. Car was delivered in 2016 so the batts could be shot, although seems unlikely all 4 would fail at the same time. But maybe the system does not report any pressures if even one sensor is out????

If that does not do the trick I'll have to see the dealer I guess. Thanks.

Old 12-11-2021, 06:12 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael211
.... change the sensor batteries while we are at it. Car was delivered in 2016 so the batts could be shot, although seems unlikely all 4 would fail at the same time.
Au contraire, if the batteries were all the same age it's highly likely that they'll all run down at the same time. My fob batteries do the same.

Old 12-12-2021, 12:14 AM
Received 163 Likes on 104 Posts

Found this for you.
Should be no way all 4 batteries will all run out at the same time so obviously a syncing glitch. Sensors are not psi or kPa etc specific so shouldn’t matter what you set your display to as it is calculated by just software downstream of your problem area. Try resetting as below

RESETTING YOUR TIRE PRESSURE LIGHT

There are a few different ways to reset the TPMS sensor that you can try before heading in for a service appointment at your local authorized service center. Test these methods out below!
  • Drive at or above 50 mph to reset the sensor for 10 minutes. This can cause your sensor to reset the next time you turn on the car.
  • Start with the vehicle off, then turn the key to the “On” position without starting the engine. Locate the tire pressure monitor reset button beneath the steering wheel. Hold the TPMS reset button until the tire pressure light blinks 3 times, then release.
  • Inflate all tires to 3 PSI over the recommended amount, then deflate them completely. Once they’re all deflated, reinflate to the recommended tire pressure. If you are using a spare tire, it may have a sensor as well so be sure to do the same with that one.
  • Turn the vehicle off and disconnect the positive battery cable with a wrench. Turn the car on and honk the horn for about three seconds. This will discharge any power still stored in the vehicle. Then reconnect the battery

Last edited by Borbor; 12-12-2021 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-12-2021, 03:45 PM

Thanks! Will try these reset procedures and report back. RE the batteries, seems likely that would all run out near the same time, but not all on the same day.

I did read somewhere, here I believe, about the guy who reported a problem due to installation of the "wrong type of sensor" in one rim at the factory. But, grain of salt since JLR does not seem to make this info available.

Old 12-12-2021, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

In answer to the inital question, my Canadian-market F-Type has the TPMS reading in pounds per square inch.

Old 12-27-2021, 05:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My TMP had issues wand was finally reset by the dealer. When my computer was inspected and attached to a service computer it caused a default in the TMP & other electronics. i.e. window operations. The dealer reset everything at no charge

Old 12-27-2021, 09:47 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default About the tire sensors

First off, the Ftype has no tire sensor button under the steering wheel. At least not on my 2018. Because I went down there with my super bright lumen abundant flashlight and I couldn’t find any button under the steering wheel only a button on side of steering to adjust steering wheel electrically and for it to push back to allow getting in and out of car with ease. If anyone has a tire button under steering wheel in a Ftype please send me a photo because I can’t find it.
Secondly I have that issue sometimes that my front tires show an X on the display and doesn’t read and I found it to be because of interference with the UAD CarPlay device. After switching on dip switches 1,3,8 the issue stopped happening. Hope that works for you.

Old 12-28-2021, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by HeinzXtype
First off, the Ftype has no tire sensor button under the steering wheel. At least not on my 2018. Because I went down there with my super bright lumen abundant flashlight and I couldn’t find any button under the steering wheel only a button on side of steering to adjust steering wheel electrically and for it to push back to allow getting in and out of car with ease. If anyone has a tire button under steering wheel in a Ftype please send me a photo because I can’t find it.
Secondly I have that issue sometimes that my front tires show an X on the display and doesn’t read and I found it to be because of interference with the UAD CarPlay device. After switching on dip switches 1,3,8 the issue stopped happening. Hope that works for you.
Yeah, no button under the wheel in my 2017 S. Have been to busy with the holidays to pursue this. I'm assuming the dip switches you mention refer to the "CarPlay device" and I don't have one of those. Basically I'm waiting for my tire shop to get the backordered Pilot Sports and I'm hoping they can resolve this.

Old 12-28-2021, 07:44 PM
Received 163 Likes on 104 Posts

Sorry, pinched the tpms reset off another Jaguar model so no physical button near the steering column