Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire wear and CPO

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 05:13 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Tire wear and CPO

Hello all,

does anyone know the exact measure at which point Jaguar has to replace tires for CPO?

I have my CPO worksheet and my rear tires were evaluated at 4/32" and listed as "have to be replaced", The problem is that they replaced them with 5/32" tires. Considering the quality of those Pirelli, it means I have to replace the tires now, 3 weeks after buying the car.
Now someone else tells me that they can't CPO a car with tires below 6/32"

Anyone has insight on this?

Thanks

Old 09-25-2018, 05:43 PM
Received 82 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
Hello all,

does anyone know the exact measure at which point Jaguar has to replace tires for CPO?

I have my CPO worksheet and my rear tires were evaluated at 4/32" and listed as "have to be replaced", The problem is that they replaced them with 5/32" tires. Considering the quality of those Pirelli, it means I have to replace the tires now, 3 weeks after buying the car.

Thanks
So, am I to understand that they put on used tires with 5/32" tread prior to delivery of your car as a CPO? My CPO came with two new rear tires that were installed as part of the CPO process. Could it be that they didn't replace the tires, and there is just some difference in the measurements (i.e. dealer says 4/32" but you measured as 5/32"). Either way, I think they should have put on two new tires, but perhaps someone can shed some light on whether they were required to do so.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by RIRR
So, am I to understand that they put on used tires with 5/32" tread prior to delivery of your car as a CPO? My CPO came with two new rear tires that were installed as part of the CPO process. Could it be that they didn't replace the tires, and there is just some difference in the measurements (i.e. dealer says 4/32" but you measured as 5/32"). Either way, I think they should have put on two new tires, but perhaps someone can shed some light on whether they were required to do so.
Yes, that is what they did.
And no, I actually asked. The service guy told me that 5/32" was the legal limit and they did what they were told.
I'm not happy with my dealership right now.

I have new PS4 on order and also a meeting with the manager of the dealership later this week.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

This is very scummy thing to do for CPO, but at least you are not throwing away unused tires by upgrading to MP4S..

Old 09-25-2018, 06:54 PM

Yes, that is what they did.
And no, I actually asked. The service guy told me that 5/32" was the legal limit and they did what they were told.
I'm not happy with my dealership right now.

I have new PS4 on order and also a meeting with the manager of the dealership later this week.
That is very shady. Good luck on your meeting.

The following users liked this post:
Paul champagne (09-25-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 08:42 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Heres the real deal, if they had replaced the tires you would have paid for them. Just factored into what you paid for the car. So you got to use up 5/32nds remaining tires before you have to pay for tires. When ever quotes are sent to a preowned dept head they look at what they paid and what the costs are to sell. Sometimes they do little other times sent to auction, or all of it done. If there are no margins theyre not going to put alot of money in a preowned car. And then either way those costs are added into what the dealer has paid for the car and priced accordingly. So if you got new tires when you purchased the car you would have paid for them then. Only thng is you are paying for them later instead of sooner.

Don1954 (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 09:39 AM

Then I think they should put that in their CPO description. The inspection clearly stated that the tires needed to be replaced. Replacing them with something just as bad comes contrary to the idea Jaguar tries to sell with their CPO program.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:07 AM

the CPO spec I just looked up is 4mm, or 5/32nds minimum. Them changing to less worn tires would be between you and the preowned dept Paul. When I used to do any preowned cars my standard was I recommended placement of any tires or brakes if they wouldn't make it to the first oil change at 5k. Obviously that was before the 5.0 and 15k oil changes but you get the idea. And we did that because as I always discussed with the preowned managers, I don't want our customers coming in for their first oil change after buying a car from us and being told they need tires and brakes. Then theyre in the office hot since in Houston the avg annual miles is 15k so theyre back in only a few months or generally after 1 or 2 car payments. As in all industries and personalities everything varies and is open to interpretation.

Paul champagne (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
the CPO spec I just looked up is 4mm, or 5/32nds minimum. Them changing to less worn tires would be between you and the preowned dept Paul. When I used to do any preowned cars my standard was I recommended placement of any tires or brakes if they wouldn't make it to the first oil change at 5k. Obviously that was before the 5.0 and 15k oil changes but you get the idea. And we did that because as I always discussed with the preowned managers, I don't want our customers coming in for their first oil change after buying a car from us and being told they need tires and brakes. Then theyre in the office hot since in Houston the avg annual miles is 15k so theyre back in only a few months or generally after 1 or 2 car payments. As in all industries and personalities everything varies and is open to interpretation.
I get that, and thank you for the clarification.
In this particular case, the tires they gave me with the car, measure 5/32" in some places and 4/32" in other.
But I was assured by my salesman, before I closed the deal, that the car was in shape to do a 2500 miles road trip that I do twice a year. So that was the bar that I set, before the deal.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:28 AM

Then I think they should put that in their CPO description. The inspection clearly stated that the tires needed to be replaced. Replacing them with something just as bad comes contrary to the idea Jaguar tries to sell with their CPO program.
+1.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:40 AM

Paul why dont you just go back and at least ask for a $$$contribution for the tires. Like asking for a date, they can say either yes or no

Old 09-26-2018, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
Paul why dont you just go back and at least ask for a $$$contribution for the tires. Like asking for a date, they can say either yes or no
That is exactly why I have a meeting with the manager at the end of the week.
Thanks again

Brutal (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Question for @Brutal:

Do you measure tread depth on the rear tires on the INSIDE or the OUTSIDE?

When I negotiated for our '14 (private party) I looked at the rear tires and noted that they were almost bald on the inside...received $$ off for tire replacement.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

You look for the least tread depth, inside, middle or outside.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by carbuff2
question for @brutal:

Do you measure tread depth on the rear tires on the inside or the outside?

When i negotiated for our '14 (private party) i looked at the rear tires and noted that they were almost bald on the inside...received $$ off for tire replacement.
it does not matter to me where it is. I look at the least whenever i work on a car be it warranty, customer pay, cpo, state inspection etc. The lowest spot will be the first to show cords. I have many times seen where i have told customers you need tires and thhey look down and go theres plenty of tread what are you talking about? Turn the wheel out and show a bald inner tread block showing cords. Whenever i talk to people about checking for alignmnet from tire wear or general condition i always say to turn the front tires out and inspect across the face. That way you get a good idea of condition and need for alignments. If theres a difference of more than 2/32nds tread depth between the inner and outer tread blocks you need and alignment. Just talking to my fiance last night who is a volvo service advisor here and reminded her about the importance of regular alignments once a year here or really most places with road conditions as there have been exactly 3 cars i didnt need to touch with a wrench during and an alignment out of the many i have done over the last 21 years.
So in short it doesnt matter where you measure, you measure the lowest spot

Carbuff2 (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 09:36 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Brutal, I appreciate your expertise and comments, but from my perspective, unless there is significant wear inconsistency across the tread surface I will not avail myself of regular alignments to save a few miles wear on OEM tires. Most OEM tires cannot wear out too quickly for my liking, especially Pirellis and Continentals; I would never purchase either brand and only wish that tire brand was an option when ordering a vehicle.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:24 AM

^^^i agree which is why i dont follow dr. Recomendations just to get a couple more years of life from my perspective.
eat the steak, drink the beer, have the cake lol. Theyre only recommendations

Old 09-27-2018, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Hello all,

Thanks
4//32 vs. 5/32 is a measurement error so it seems obvious that they did not replace the tires prior to delivery to you.

In other words, the paperwork may have said "needs to be replaced" but the service manager decided "those are good to go" without him having to put money into them. Nobody and I mean NOBODY is going to go dig up a tire that has 1/32nd more tread than the tires they took off.

Last edited by ndabunka; 09-27-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Paul champagne (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by ndabunka
4//32 vs. 5/32 is a measurement error so it seems obvious that they did not replace the tires prior to delivery to you.

In other words, the paperwork may have said "needs to be replaced" but the service manager decided "those are good to go" without him having to put money into them. Nobody and I mean NOBODY is going to go dig up a tire that has 1/32nd more tread than the tires they took off.
That's my thinking as well

Old 09-28-2018, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

^^^ Can't handle fractions? (Me either)

(Let's not get started on the Metric System...LOL)