Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire and Wheel Protection

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Yikes. Do you have the spare, or did you call Jaguar roadside assistance?
A cell phone and a AAA card are my spare tire. At this point, I have roadside coverage from 3 groups: Jag, AAA and the roadside assistance that comes with the 5 year RoadVantage wheel/tire/ding coverage. I opted for the AAA out of habit. Haven't needed them for a flat tire before. Usually a mechanical failure on one of my older beasts ('76 FJ40 & '90 K1500).

I did try using the joy juice that comes with the F-Type, but knew I had an issue when the slop started spewing out of the sidewall.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

Insurance is something to buy if you can't afford the loss (or are required by law to carry). These types of policies are highly profitable for the insurers. By definition, that means they're a poor investment for the insured. The expected (covered) loss is well below 50% of the premium. You might be more at risk in NY, or with 20" wheels, but not enough to put a dent in the margin. While any individual buyer could come out ahead, the "winning" window is fairly narrow between the premium and the maximum coverage. Plus, you may have to fight their definition of comparable tires and/or repairable damage.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
Insurance is something to buy if you can't afford the loss (or are required by law to carry). These types of policies are highly profitable for the insurers. By definition, that means they're a poor investment for the insured. The expected (covered) loss is well below 50% of the premium. You might be more at risk in NY, or with 20" wheels, but not enough to put a dent in the margin. While any individual buyer could come out ahead, the "winning" window is fairly narrow between the premium and the maximum coverage. Plus, you may have to fight their definition of comparable tires and/or repairable damage.
While you are probably correct if you play the percentages (why else would so many companies sell insurance if they didn't make money?) I've already had one tire replaced no questions asked. With the roads as bad as they are with all the road construction and new homes being built all over my neighborhood, I average 2 nails or screws in my tires per year.

With my coverage, nail or screw anywhere in the tire is a free new tire. No patching, just a no cost to me replacement. Buying any type of insurance is simply a numbers game. Who has the better odds?

In 2 months of ownership I have already covered 1/2 my premium for my tire and wheel policy.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:46 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Does anybody have some experience with supplemental tire-and-wheel coverage OTHER THAN the one offered by—or rather: THROUGH —the dealership at signing? (Whatever that is. I assume it's the same company nationwide, offered by agreement with JLR.) Lhoboy has mentioned in this thread a company called RoadVantage. Lhoboy, is that a different company than the one whose coverage is offered at the dealership? I believe you recently had a claim. How did that work out? How about a mini-review of RoadVantage? Their website sucks, but maybe their product does not. Has anyone opted for a different insurer?

Last edited by Frenchy; 07-22-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Frenchy
Does anybody have some experience with supplemental tire-and-wheel coverage OTHER THAN the one offered by—or rather: THOUGH —the dealership at signing? (Whatever that is. I assume it's the same company nationwide, offered by agreement with JLR.) Lhoboy has mentioned in this thread a company called RoadVantage. Lhoboy, is that a different company than the one whose coverage is offered at the dealership? I believe you recently had a claim. How did that work out? How about a mini-review of RoadVantage? Their website sucks, but maybe their product does not. Has anyone opted for a different insurer?
RoadVantage is what was offered me through the dealership. For $1250/5 years they offered tire/wheel coverage (including roadside assistance) for road hazard. For an additional $200, the upgrade to "Ultimate " coverage includes free repair for curb rash and also paintless ding and dent repair. I will report back as soon as the whole issue is resolved and I determine how easily they honor their contractual commitment. So far, they have been very helpful by phone.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:14 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I got my PSS tires from Tire Rack (of course), and they included some sort of road hazard coverage:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/roadHazard/trhp.jsp

May or may not be useful.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
I got my PSS tires from Tire Rack (of course), and they included some sort of road hazard coverage:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/roadHazard/trhp.jsp

May or may not be useful.
I got my PSSs from my local tire guy (about $50/tire less than TR). I'll check to see if my set has coverage from Conti. I'm not concerned that I'm not fully covered for the tire, but I want to make certain that the right thing is done with the wheel.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Final outcome: RoadVantage paid for a new tire, mounting and balancing and a maximum of $125 for the wheel repair. My tire guy sent the wheel out to Wheel Doctor and they repaired well enough that I had no clue where the damage had been. However, they charged $150 to do it right, so I'm out of pocket $25 for the whole adventure. (big deal) If the divot had extended into the bead seat, my tire guy would have fought for a new wheel ($995).