Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire/wheel questions: 2 blown tires, damaged wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts
Default tire/wheel questions: 2 blown tires, damaged wheels

Not my best day. The car was dirty from my track event on Friday. Plan was to get it detailed Monday but I just couldn't stand looking at all the dirt/dust so did a quick hose down. Then took her on the freeway to air dry.

Doing about 60-65mph in the right land as I'm about to merge into another freeway to get back to downtown SF (101/280 merge for those in the Bay Area). See some debris on the left side of the lane. It looked like a large, flat cardboard box. If it was just a flatten cardboard box I could drive over it and no big deal. But I wasn't sure. Maybe it was not cardboard, maybe metal or wood.

Didn't want to damage the front fascia. Didn't want to slam on the brakes, maybe causing guy behind to rear end me. Didn't want to move to the left, getting hit on the left side or swiping across the debris. So I moved half over to the shoulder. I missed the debris, but the shoulder was rough. I think the unevenness of the shoulder or some debris in the shoulder ended up cutting the two right tires. I hear a pop and the tire pressure warning went off. Game over.

Tires are obviously done for. But looks like there's also damage to the front right wheel. The back right wheel looks like it might be OK, at least from cosmetic POV.

Some questions if you've had to deal with this before:

1. Anybody know how much the OEM 20" Gyrodine Black wheels cost?

2. Anybody have experience like this with insurance? I know insurance won't cover flats and cosmetic damages but I view this as basically an accident. Wondering if they'll cover this, whether it's worth the deductible/potential rate increase?

3. Anybody go with different tires than OEM?

Any other thoughts?

The irony, was so worried about damaging the car at the track event...no issues there, didn't need track insurance. Then I hope on the freeway for 10 minutes and this. Well, I suppose the bright side is no bodily injuries or anything serious. And maybe get some aftermarket wheels since I wasn't a huge fan of the Gyrodine in the first place...

Attached Thumbnails tire/wheel questions: 2 blown tires, damaged wheels-2014-08-24-11.52.07.jpg   tire/wheel questions: 2 blown tires, damaged wheels-2014-08-24-11.52.12.jpg  
Old 08-24-2014, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

ouch sorry to see that. glad you're OK.
was it in San Francisco County? sf has an insurer for this stuff so you may be able to file a claim with the city.

as for parts, I've found terry's jaguar well-priced for online stuff.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by schraderade
ouch sorry to see that. glad you're OK.
was it in San Francisco County? sf has an insurer for this stuff so you may be able to file a claim with the city.

as for parts, I've found terry's jaguar well-priced for online stuff.
Yes, this was in San Francisco, just right before the 101/280 merge. Hmm..I'll have to check this out.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:10 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Wheels don't look too bad. A good wheel repair shop should be able to make them good as new.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
Yes, this was in San Francisco, just right before the 101/280 merge. Hmm..I'll have to check this out.
you can file a claim with the city attorney office. drivers do this for potholes in the city and you can get reimbursed. sf has been getting hammered with these claims because the roads are derelict.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:00 PM
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Sucks, glad you are safe--- OK as mentioned above the front wheel is probably ok- its a one piece cast big hunk of metal that appears to only have sustained cosmetic damage. Most wheel repair shops can fix that.

As for tires since your car is pretty new, I would stick with the same brand to match the left side. But if you are considering a 4 tire swap then personally I would go with Michelin PSS tires and maybe even a 305x30x20 in the rear on the 10.5 wheel. The PSS tire is just so good.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by another_geek
Wheels don't look too bad. A good wheel repair shop should be able to make them good as new.
Hope you're right. My fear is the front right, where there's the tear on the sidewall, there's some metal missing. It won't show when new tires are put on but probably not safe.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you're ok man, did you end up having to get a tow? Yea, hopefully you can have your wheels repaired and agree with Vic, I'd go wider (305) with Michelin PSS tire.

You guys don't think a 315 would fit back there? Probably not..

Old 08-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Optimus812
Glad you're ok man, did you end up having to get a tow? Yea, hopefully you can have your wheels repaired and agree with Vic, I'd go wider (305) with Michelin PSS tire.

I will probably go with PSS, all the reviews seem to have them much better than the PZero. Will do some more investigation on wider.

The reason I think the wheels might be toast is because after I pulled over the CHP wouldn't let me stay on the shoulder (in fairness, very narrow shoulders). He had me drive it at around 15mph to the next exit, which was probably 2 miles away. So for 2 miles I drove on a completely flat tire. This is what worries me. Otherwise a flat tire I wouldn't worry too much about the wheels. Hindsight probably shouldn't have done it but at the time didn't really want to argue with the CHP.

After we exited the freeway I called Jaguar Roadside and they had a flat bed come. The Jag dealer isn't open so it's at the tow place over night and I need to call them in the morning to get them to bring it over to the dealer for a look.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What an ordeal, its good to know they brought a flat bed. I had pilot super sports on my last ride and they are pretty good when warmed up for a street tire. I'm also considering getting a set of Toyo Proxy R888's for some real traction (probably as a second set) Of course the only size offered in a 20" would be a 315 30.. I also had these on my Supra and were awesome while they lasted, which wasn't that long!

Old 08-24-2014, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Optimus812

315 would fit but you would have sidewall over hang with the 10.5 inch wheel. I changed my M6 tires from the 295x30 to 305x30 (both PSS) on the oem wheels for a short moment (when I had the car) and that worked well.

The following users liked this post:
Optimus812 (08-24-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

As far as your auto insurance goes. It would not be a comprehensive claim as you ran over something. It would be under collision coverage. Carriers in CA rarely raise rates over comp claims but collision claims could could raise your insurance rates.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member

Jaguar Roadside Assistance was pretty good. Called them, gave them my name and they were able to look me up right away. The tow came pretty quick. Was lucky, the tow place was 5 minutes away and it's an indoor storage. They also tried to get me a cab home but I ended up staying with the tow guy and just used Lyft for a ride home. One of the bright side is the incident was only a few miles from home. Would have been a really bad day if I was far from home and had to deal with towing, cab, etc.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:46 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

Glad you're ok as well. I bought the tire & rim insurance for that reason. I got it at a great price. Maybe you could talk to your salesman if you guys have a good relationship & still purchase it. Wouldn't hurt to try.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vic55
315 would fit but you would have sidewall over hang with the 10.5 inch wheel. I changed my M6 tires from the 295x30 to 305x30 (both PSS) on the oem wheels for a short moment (when I had the car) and that worked well.
seems like

255/35-20
305/30-20

is the way to go? Hopefully the dealer has some special supply, because for the life of me I can't understand why they're all backed order/special order at tirerack. kind of silly if I have to wait a coupe of months for tires!

Old 08-24-2014, 07:52 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

***As for tires since your car is pretty new, I would stick with the same brand to match the left side. But if you are considering a 4 tire swap then personally I would go with Michelin PSS tires and maybe even a 305x30x20 in the rear on the 10.5 wheel. The PSS tire is just so good.***

I agree with this. I'm going for this same set up after I finish with the PIrelli's.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:06 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

You should look up a wheel repair shop in your area.

There is a company in orlando that I work with very often, they have been able to successfully repair wheels that split in half.

You would be surprised with what can be done with aluminum.

From the photos I would say your wheels will be fine maybe lightly bent with any luck they will balance out perfectly.

Good luck!

Old 08-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

Dude,
Glad you are ok but this still sux. I'm still getting used to how dirty the roads are here.
I'd +1 on the PSS from what I've read. You know I have the wheel insurance because I have the Black Tornados. If you are going to buy new wheels its worth considering.

You could talk with Jourdan Serrano (Service) or Mario Terzic/Stefan Orsic (Sales) at BMCD - : (800) 536-8288 and see if they can do a deal for you. I've found them very good to deal with so far.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by shift
seems like

255/35-20
305/30-20

is the way to go? Hopefully the dealer has some special supply, because for the life of me I can't understand why they're all backed order/special order at tirerack. kind of silly if I have to wait a coupe of months for tires!

Its a very popular tire for certain oem set ups and aftermarket too. You can try calling my friend Eric at SupremePower at 714 632 1951- he wholesales PSS tires in the bulk and might have a set sitting. I get my PSS's from him.

The following users liked this post:
shift (08-24-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Dremorg
Glad you're ok as well. I bought the tire & rim insurance for that reason. I got it at a great price. Maybe you could talk to your salesman if you guys have a good relationship & still purchase it. Wouldn't hurt to try.
Shift...so sorry to hear about your ordeal...what a bummer!

Dremorg, please kindly tell me what you paid for the wheel/tire protection and if you purchased it as a stand-alone or in combination with other warranties...reading about these wheel issues people are having really has me worried and I'd like to know what I expect to pay...thanks!

Quick Reply: tire/wheel questions: 2 blown tires, damaged wheels