F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires, tires, tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 07:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question 2005 XJ Vanden Plas tires?

My wife and I recently/inherited acquired her late mother's 2005 XJ Vanden Plas, which had spent its whole life in the desert cities of Southern California (Palm Springs area), but now resides with us here in the Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas: cool, rainy springtimes (45-55 in. rain/year); very warm summers, with cold (down to 0 degrees F -- or even colder), sometimes-snowy winters (although we will seldom be using it in winter -- we mostly drive a couple of Toyota Land Cruisers)*. At present, it has Pirelli P-Zero Asimmetrico 255/40 ZR 19 tires mounted, but they are rather worn. Oh, Great Jaguar Gurus, this mere mortal humbly beseeches you, seeking your learned wisdom. I don't care about the expense (so please set that factor aside in your considerations), what tires do you recommend for an XJ Vanden Plas: (a) not being driven aggressively (mostly just around town, plus the occasional daytrip or overnight trip); (b) mostly during warm to chilly temperatures, under either dry or wet conditions; (c) on curvy, narrow mountain roads?
(Except for special occasions, the Jaguar will probably spend most of the winter safe, warm, and dry inside a climate-controlled aircraft hangar -- with lots of good company.) .

Old 06-10-2021, 08:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - Excellent Choice

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on my XKR and my wife has the Pirelli P Zero on her Vanden Plas...Michelin win hands down

Old 06-10-2021, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2014 F-Type V8S and bought Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position tires. I just replaced the tires two weeks ago and they are great!

Old 06-16-2021, 08:37 AM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello Crashxx
Having lived in Ok. , I know the roads, and all their year round conditions , and since I'm **** about my car tires since being 22 Yr's old ( I'm 60 now ) This is my 2c worth.
Concerning quality : Stick with Continental, or Michelin brands only. Michelin to me only has a slight edge above Continental when taken to the max ,and you will only see this depending on your driving. One trades comfort for performance
Concerning temperature!!. Unless you are willing to purchase two (2) sets of tires ,and change out your tires between summer and winter, and you have indicated that you are not willing to do so, You are limited to I&; " Ultra High Performance All Season " NOT anything with the word "Summer" in the case of Michelin brand I& "Pilot Sport A/S 3+",
and " Extreme Contact DWS" in the Continental brand case. Tire Mfg. will give warnings with their respective tire types about cold temps especially with " Summer" type tires, this is usually 20F. , or -2Deg. C. Basically the same for whichever Mfg. you ultimately decide on.
I live in the Fl. panhandle even though it does Not get cold as OK. the summer tires on my MY 2014 XKR although still drivable in 30 Deg. F. weather are barely safe , that is they seriously loose traction due to the rubber compound stiffening from the cold . Also there are Not for snow, or slush in accordance with Mfg. Warnings.
If you like a more detail you can try the Tirerack site ( Again I have NO gain affiliation only a customer , one can also find like bargains locally ).
Hope this helps.

Old 06-16-2021, 09:09 AM
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Well, since the Pilot Sport AS4's are not available for the front yet, I've ordered a set of PS4s. We don't drive it much when its cold, it sits in our heated garage, so I don't think it will be a problem. If we decide we want some all seasons, I'll order a set of those and some wheels. My buddy owns a shop so it makes it a little easier since he lets me buy tires at his cost. I appreciate ALL the input.

Side note: Prior to the F-Type, we had a 2019 Subaru STi. No comparison to the F-Type. I had plans to build it to around 400WHP. The reason we don't have it anymore and do have an F-Type is the community around the two. The STi community is not nearly as mature as this one. It is such a pleasure having adults give feed back and provide info instead of young kids spouting off things they "heard" without any experience in the matter. Thank you all for the great info!

Old 06-16-2021, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

My understanding from Tire Rack is that the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4's for the front should be available in July.

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (06-17-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 10:17 AM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have Conti Extreme Contact DWS tires on my 2008 vdp - they work very well. I have used same tires on a previously owned S Type as well as BMW 325i.
My only complaint is I feel like the DWS are a little bit fragile for our terrible post-spring roads here in New England so suggest you buy the road hazard coverage.
I have one being replaced later this week due to a little bubble on a back tire from a pothole.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:56 PM
Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jberry20
I have Conti Extreme Contact DWS tires on my 2008 vdp - they work very well. I have used same tires on a previously owned S Type as well as BMW 325i.
My only complaint is I feel like the DWS are a little bit fragile for our terrible post-spring roads here in New England so suggest you buy the road hazard coverage.
I have one being replaced later this week due to a little bubble on a back tire from a pothole.
I just installed the second set of DWS 06 tires on my '16 S AWD (actually the latest release, DWS 06 Plus). My first set lasted over 30K miles and still had quite a bit of tread left, but they were getting noisy due to typical inner wear. I've used them on several vehicles with zero complaints. The ride is good, they're quiet, do great in dry and wet, and handle surprisingly well for all-season tires. I agree with you WRT road hazard coverage. The sidewalls seem a little weaker than some other brands. Tire Rack replaced one of mine a few years back after I hit a large pot hole that put a gash in the sidewall.