Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Title help S vs R

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 09:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Title help S vs R

4-weeks ago I buy a 2016 F-Type R.
the IL state title comes in the mail last week and I read it and the model is listed as Jaguar Type S.

why would it say Type S...must be wrong letter by the state. Than I look at all the paper work from the Dealer and they have it listed as "F-Type S Conv"

I call Jaguar today and ask them by Vin # what car I have. They tell me it is a F-type S Conv/Coupe. I ask why the S, it is a R. He said that is just how they do it.

My issue with all of this is if it got total, lost in fire, stole, how do I prove to ins co that I had a R and the value is X and not a S with a value of X.

if I could ask.....how is anybody else paper work or state title read?

Dean Nelson

Old 09-15-2016, 09:47 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Something is definitely not right. Do you have dual or quad exhaust? Is there an R badge on the car?

Old 09-15-2016, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

It is not impossible for Jaguar to misregister a car. My X350 XJ6 was listed as a V8 on the title documents from new but after a few letters back and forth between Jaguar and the DVLA (the registration authority in the UK) it was sorted and I got a corrected document. I bought it after 3 years so it meant the previous owner had been paying incorrect excise tax on it for three years (based on emissions), but I got a partial refund for the tax I had paid. I was hoping they would upgrade the engine for me instead though!!

If you follow the instructions here what does it tell you?
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...4/#post1521160

The second step (picture 2) shows a 2015 R coupe. What does yours say? I don't think the 5.0 litre V8 is offered as an S model for 2016 is it? It used to be at launch but I think it was dropped.

I know from your other posts that you bought it used from a dealer. I would pursue it with them without delay. If it is indeed an R (which hopefully it is) then they should get it fixed for you, but if it isn't and was a V8S that has been adapted with some R parts and resold or just listed wrongly then it's been misrepresented.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Check out your VIN at this decoder and see what you have:VIN Decoder - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 09-15-2016, 11:03 AM

I did not buy it use, it had 25 miles on it when I took it home.
it is a R as it has the quad exhaust, has all the R badges and on the seats, and the dash. I do not know if the rpm gage is like my Corvettes and each motor had it's own red line based on what motor, but the red line is 6500.

I am going to call the dealer today and see what they are doing on this.

Dean

Old 09-15-2016, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

No difference in the tach or any other hard part between a V8S or a V8R....programming and badging only. ....that said they didn't make a 2016 V8S so if yours is a V8, it's a V8R and the title is wrong.

Dave

Old 09-15-2016, 11:37 AM

Well, the VIN Decoder solved this problem! It is listed as the R with the 550 HP as it should be. So it will be back to the Dealer to get them to change all of the paper work that they did wrong and have them go to the state for a new title.

thanks to all of you for looking into this.

Dean

Old 09-15-2016, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by dean nelson
Well, the VIN Decoder solved this problem! It is listed as the R with the 550 HP as it should be. So it will be back to the Dealer to get them to change all of the paper work that they did wrong and have them go to the state for a new title.

thanks to all of you for looking into this.

Dean
I personally wouldn't spend too much effort on it. The insurance company will replace your car (if need be) based on the VIN (which they have on file) and not the title (a copy of which they do not have).

Old 09-15-2016, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

In the UK we buy car insurance based on the vehicle registration number (e.g. "unhingd") not the VIN, and the information registered on the title is what is used to determine the vehicle for that insurance. If my R was flagged as an S I would be charged according to a different level of risk and would be comitting a criminal offence if I knew it was wrong and did not inform my insurer. I had to go through all that when my X350 V6 was registered as a V8. I was told by my insurer that I could not drive the vehicle until the registration documents had been corrected and they had seen a copy, but that they would increase my insurance term by the days that I lost once the policy was adjusted. It could also place the car under a different tax band (although both V8S and V8R are likely to be the top band), but if I knew it was wrong and was paying less and did not correct it would be fraud and tax evasion. Normally with an untaxed vehicle they can can sieze it and crush it or sell it, but I am unsure what they would do if you were just (knowingly) paying the wrong rate of tax. Given how they treat motorists in the UK I half suspect they would imprison you for 6 months and take your first-born.

Obviously you have different types of insurance in the US and state taxes, if any, may be calculated differently. Personally I would want this rectified - but whoever registered the car should be doing the work not me (i.e. the dealer or Jaguar USA).

Last edited by xdave; 09-15-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:41 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

In my State, NC, DMV is very, very picky about the paperwork. The only smart play here would be to get the title changed because they probably would not let you transfer title if anything is wrong.

Larry

Old 09-15-2016, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

It doesn't matter if the VIN is correct on the title, and the VIN associated w/ the correct model, which it is in this case. Insurance rates in the U.S. are also based entirely upon the VIN.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:07 PM

Larry,
that was also on my mind and why it needs to get changed to read right.

could you see in 5,6,7 years from now trying to sell or trade this car and someone reads the title and it states it is a F-Type S. would be all kinds of red flags as to what the car is. if I was the buyer at that point, I would walk away from it! The only move I would have at that time is to tell them to run the VIN and they would see that it is a R.
But I will get this fix as it should be so they are no problems down the road.

Dean

The following users liked this post:
James Tootle (09-17-2016)
Old 09-17-2016, 09:44 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

4-weeks ago I buy a 2016 F-Type R.
the IL state title comes in the mail last week and I read it and the model is listed as Jaguar Type S.

I call Jaguar today and ask them by Vin # what car I have. They tell me it is a F-type S Conv/Coupe. I ask why the S, it is a R. He said that is just how they do it.
Dean - sounds like it's Jaguar NAM that has it listed in their DB as an S. But you are going to get it fixed through the dealer (quite right!).

However, one other point I thought about, and it depends on how your sales tax is determined in IL. Here in GA the sales tax is determined by the state based on car model and age (even for second hand sales). They have a big list of every model! So, I'd suggest you look at how the sales tax you paid on the car was calculated, in case the dealer wants to collect the difference from an 'S' to an 'R'...

Old 09-17-2016, 10:35 AM

I did think of the Tax to the state when I first found the problem, and the deal on all the sales and state tax forms has the price of the R and I paid state tax for the R.

thanks for the thought.

I also called the dealer to see how they are doing on fixing this, and they said they found out that their computer print out have been all wrong
on the F-Type cars and they have all been listed as "F-Type S CONV" so this whole problem is with this one dealer and whatever happened in their computer system. I did not ask how many they have sold that the customers don't even know of the problem. they said I will be getting all new paper work from the deal and new state title.

I should have looked better that day I bought it at all the paper work but you know how many papers their are to sign and to read each one line by line, I just did not do that.

Dean

Old 09-17-2016, 10:46 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

...so this whole problem is with this one dealer...
Care to post the dealer's name so others that bought in IL can check...?

Old 09-17-2016, 10:54 AM

It was Jaguar of Naperville, Chicago area.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by amr42
However, one other point I thought about, and it depends on how your sales tax is determined in IL. Here in GA the sales tax is determined by the state based on car model and age (even for second hand sales). They have a big list of every model! So, I'd suggest you look at how the sales tax you paid on the car was calculated, in case the dealer wants to collect the difference from an 'S' to an 'R'...
I think that list you refer is used only for private party sales, and it's just based upon KBB in most cases. They'll generally accept the lowest reported value for make and model year. One of the oldest tricks in the book is for a seller or buyer to grossly under-report the actual sales price to avoid some of the tax, so DMVs use those charts to prevent that to some extent.

When buying new or used from dealers in the 6 different states I've lived in, sales tax has always been calculated based upon the dealer sales price. Are you saying in GA, that if you bought a new car at 20% off MSRP, their chart might make you pay tax based upon a price closer to MSRP?

I doubt it. From the beginning, new R's have sold anywhere between approximately $90-120K.