Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today I ordered a 2016 F Type R AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by kmustangt88
It's kind of strange that the awd was estimated to be slower to 60 than the rear wheel drive. It must be the extra extra 150 or so pounds of weight. I wonder if the handling will be less sharp as well. I would go for the carbon fiber roof for sure its a no brianer Stohlen.
They never estimated it to be slower. 3.9 for AWD, 4.0 for RWD. I imagine it actually will be more towards the mid to low 3 second range since the magazines often got 3.7 - 3.8 to 60 times. The whole point of AWD is to make traction better and handling better, I don't know why everyone assumes Jaguar made the car worse.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default ordered mine wed

Dealer accepted deposit and put in an order- Polaris white with jet/red gyro wheels- visibility, blackout, SPARE r coupe awd 2016

as he said this will be refundable as they will easily be able to sell the car if I decide not to take it

factory told them april 10 delivery he wasn't really positive

Old 11-26-2014, 09:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the inevitable gtr comparrison

I do believe that they are trying to build a the next step in there evolution as a car model with this line. Some concerns I have with the new awd type R are the #1 transmission #2 Transfercase having to hold 50% of the power #3 tire wear and cost. The Jaguar F Type R is beautiful, but did you ever consider a gtr? The performance track record and reliability seems like the common choice that the younger generation go overboard for. I think its great that you choose to buy something different and not just a fanboy car.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:14 PM
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by kmustangt88
....but did you ever consider a gtr? The performance track record and reliability seems like the common choice that the younger generation go overboard for....
Apparently the R35 is reliable, until you start trying to get more power out of it, which is what everyone tries to do, because it's an R35...

I don't think you can honestly put the AWD F-Type and the R35 GTR in the same category, they are very different cars for very different purposes...

Old 11-26-2014, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

I saw the coupe concept three years ago and fell in love with the design. Then the sound from the engine just compounded that. I'm not about all out performance when it comes to a GT car like this, I love the performance of the GTR, but it's just not an attractive car by any means to me, I never even considered it because of that. I would have bought the RWD variant when it came out but opted to wait for AWD since I was looking for low speed grip and stability that AWD can provide. Gotta love a killer hole shot.

Glad to see someone else was able to get an order in!

Old 11-26-2014, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
They never estimated it to be slower. 3.9 for AWD, 4.0 for RWD. I imagine it actually will be more towards the mid to low 3 second range since the magazines often got 3.7 - 3.8 to 60 times. The whole point of AWD is to make traction better and handling better, I don't know why everyone assumes Jaguar made the car worse.
Agreed, I believe mid 3's in 0-60 performance are possible and realistic in the real (street) world for the AWD assuming it's a state-of-the-art system. What I don't believe is 3.7 for the RWD in the real world. Only when the tires are incredibly hot and sticky does that seem remotely possible on the RWD R.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:30 AM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Interesting, I was able to speak to another dealer who mentioned that their first delivery is scheduled for May 25th and I could place an order for that. Are some dealers getting it later than others or will all dealers be getting their first allocations around the same time?

The following users liked this post:
DuhCar (11-27-2014)
Old 11-27-2014, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member

Who knows. As someone who works for a major automaker, I can say any number of things could happen that could significantly delay vehicle shipment or production. Jaguar is still doing testing of these vehicles, if they find a major issue that must be corrected, the vehicles could be held in the production yard for weeks until a solution is developed and the vehicles are retrofitted. So this far out, delivery date means next to nothing.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hole shot

I saw the coupe concept three years ago and fell in love with the design. Then the sound from the engine just compounded that. I'm not about all out performance when it comes to a GT car like this, I love the performance of the GTR, but it's just not an attractive car by any means to me, I never even considered it because of that. I would have bought the RWD variant when it came out but opted to wait for AWD since I was looking for low speed grip and stability that AWD can provide. Gotta love a killer hole shot.

Glad to see someone else was able to get an order in!
I wonder if the awd parasitic loss will affect its trap speed, and I wonder how tunner friendly this car will be.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:16 AM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I kept in pretty good touch with my local dealership and was able to snag their first order for a new R AWD model today.

I've attached the order guide. There is one option I hadn't heard anything about which surprised me. Carbon Fiber Roof... I haven't decided on it as of yet.
So I was able to find a dealer that might be able to modify their first MY2016 tomorrow to my specifications. He gave me the same option list and I'm confused about one thing - the Interior Black Pack doesn't seem to add the flat bottom wheel. Anybody else notice that? Are they taking away the flat bottom from the base coupe?

Old 11-30-2014, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by f_in_seattle
Are they taking away the flat bottom from the base coupe?
I'll let someone else answer that question but I can tell you this: my top two favorite things in my F-Type V6S - besides the whole damn car - are the Panoramic Roof and the Flat Bottom Steering Wheel .

My 2-cents.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

I got confirmation today that my vehicle will enter production the week of February 5th. I was told this is the first week of 2016MY production.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:13 AM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I got confirmation today that my vehicle will enter production the week of February 5th. I was told this is the first week of 2016MY production.
Nice. I'm looking forward to your assessment of the AWD. You should try a RWD R before you get yours for a comparison.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-TypeRookie
Nice. I'm looking forward to your assessment of the AWD. You should try a RWD R before you get yours for a comparison.
Don't you worry, I already have.

F-TypeRookie (12-04-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 05:19 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Jaguar has come to realize AWD broadens the market for its products and offers greater sales here in the USA..

I'm not saying AWD is better or worse than the previous years RWD cars. I'm just suggesting jaguar should be able to sell more cars.....and we all want jaguar to be financially healthy.

Congrats to the OP whose ordered his AWD v8 as I imagine at the end of the day this 550 hp rocket will be the most usable and the highest performing...

Both the RWD and AWD versions of the ftype are fantastic..

Really a beautiful sports car.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Dealer told me the carbon fiber roof is a $3200 option. One which im going to pass on.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:12 AM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Dealer told me the carbon fiber roof is a $3200 option. One which im going to pass on.
I don't blame you for that. I'm not sure I'd like the look anyway. I like the Pano roof. it makes the interior seem bigger/brighter.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by JBsC6
I'm not saying AWD is better or worse than the previous years RWD cars.
I have to imagine that the AWD is going to be far superior to the RWD (R configuration). If you watch the Rs flogging around the tracks with white smoke pouring from the rear fenders at every turn, you can see the car just can't get the power to the ground. Twice the driven wheels, twice the accelerating traction.

Since the power vectoring is computerized, 100% of the power is ordinarily put to the rear and shifted by as much as 50% to the front if needed, so it will continue to have much of the driving characteristics of a RWD. A couple of drawbacks: 1) adds more weight to an already heavy variant of the F-Type, and 2) messes a bit with the sleekness of the front end.

The parasitic loss from the AWD probably makes it unsuitable for the V6 models which have don't have more power than 2 wheels can generally handle. (unless you are into north woods off-roading).

Foosh (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
I have to imagine that the AWD is going to be far superior to the RWD (R configuration). If you watch the Rs flogging around the tracks with white smoke pouring from the rear fenders at every turn, you can see the car just can't get the power to the ground. Twice the driven wheels, twice the accelerating traction.

Since the power vectoring is computerized, 100% of the power is ordinarily put to the rear and shifted by as much as 50% to the front if needed, so it will continue to have much of the driving characteristics of a RWD. A couple of drawbacks: 1) adds more weight to an already heavy variant of the F-Type, and 2) messes a bit with the sleekness of the front end.

The parasitic loss from the AWD probably makes it unsuitable for the V6 models which have don't have more power than 2 wheels can generally handle. (unless you are into north woods off-roading).
While a I agree that the V6 is far more manageable in a RWD configuration, it is quite easy to break the rear end loose even in the base car.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Even if it was cheaper I would still go with the pano roof. I love how it opens up the cabin on a nice sunny day. The CF roof might look cool and you have some bragging rights but I think in terms of functionality the pano roof is the best option to get.

Quick Reply: Today I ordered a 2016 F Type R AWD