F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top 10 Reasons Why Car Buyers Choose a Specific Vehicle Model

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 05:31 PM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Top 10 Reasons Why Car Buyers Choose a Specific Vehicle Model

Below are the results of an annual J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study. In the study, new-vehicle owners are asked to cite the reasons they chose the particular make and model of vehicle they purchased and are able to provide multiple reasons for their selection.

I believe the reasons are universal however, for the F Type owner perhaps a differently ranked order.

1) Reliability/Durability
For 3 consecutive years, reliability and durability are the most common reasons for selecting a particular make and model.

2) Interior Comfort
Finding a vehicle comfortable is the second-most-frequently cited reason for selecting a new vehicle for a third consecutive year.

3) Exterior Styling
In recent years, exterior styling has increased in importance among new-vehicle buyers, rising from the fourth-most-frequently cited reason for purchasing to the third-most-frequently cited reason.

4a) Gas Mileage
In recent years, fuel economy has taken on a new level of importance among new-vehicle buyers, rising from the sixth-most-often-cited reason for purchasing in 2010 and 2011 to the fourth-most-often-cited reason in 2012. Gas mileage now ties with a vehicle's quality of workmanship in terms of importance in the vehicle selection process.

4b) Quality of Workmanship
Vehicle buyers are less concerned about a vehicle's quality of workmanship today than they were in 2010. This factor has declined in importance during the past 3 years, dropping from the second-most-frequently cited reason given for choosing a particular make and model in 2010 to the fourth-most-frequently cited reason in 2012, in a tie with gas mileage.

6) Dealer was Convenient/Liked Dealer in Area
Though this factor declined in importance in the 2012 Initial Quality Study, dropping to the sixth-most-frequently cited reason for purchase from the fifth-most-frequently cited reason, new-vehicle buyers generally prefer to shop local, choosing to do business with a convenient dealer that they like rather than to buy from a dealer offering the best deal.

7) Performance
During the past 3 years, vehicle performance has consistently proven to be the seventh-most-often-cited reason that vehicle buyers choose a specific make and model.

8a) Advanced Technology
Whether or not a new vehicle offers advanced technology is increasing in importance as a decision-making factor among new-vehicle buyers. During the past 3 years, this reason has risen from the 10th-most-frequently cited reason for purchase to the eighth-most-frequently cited reason, now tying with the image that the new vehicle portrays.

8b) Like the Image Vehicle Portrays
For the past 3 years, vehicle buyers have said they bought a specific make and model for the image it portrays frequently enough to consistently make this reason the eighth-most-common reason given for vehicle selection. This year, vehicle image is tied with the availability of advanced technology.

10) Safety
Safety declined in importance in the 2011 IQS, dropping to the 10th-most-frequently cited reason for purchasing a specific make and model of new vehicle from its previous position as the ninth-most-frequently cited reason.

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (01-17-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 06:02 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

If everyone went in this order this would be be an empty forum.

DuhCar (01-17-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 07:03 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes. Sounds like how I shop for a refrigerator!

uncheel (01-18-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 07:06 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Safety... Can't wait for that to drop off the list. It would be nice to be able to see out of a car for a change.

Uncle Fishbits (01-20-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

From that list, my top 3 were:

Exterior Styling
Performance
Like the Image Vehicle Portrays (that it wasn't mainstream like Porsche, BMW, etc)

Old 01-17-2016, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

I actually remember taking this exact survey. My answers were definitely not in the same order as the standard majority...

Old 01-18-2016, 09:29 AM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Reason number 1 is IMO the primary reason why Jaguar sales are soft in the US.

Despite the real and obvious progress Jaguar has made, the perception of unreliability lags the reality. Sure, the longer warranties help, but I guarantee that pretty much every one of us has had conversations about our cars where the question of reliability comes up. It seems that pretty much everyone knows or knows of someone who had a troublesome Jag. It may have been 20 years ago, but it's informing their current perception of the brand.

I went to see the XE and F-Pace at a local auto show last weekend and while I was at the Jaguar booth I heard this discussed by other visitors the entire time I was there. One guy kept asking the Jaguar rep if you still needed two Jags so one was in the road when one was in the shop, and went on to share the "joke" with others at the booth. Land Rover should of course suffer the same issue, but they have a stronger brand and desirability than Jaguar do right now and the "want" overcomes the concerns.

If there's one thing Jag needs to do it's figure out how to start to change the marketplace perceptions.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:44 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames

Despite the real and obvious progress Jaguar has made, the perception of unreliability lags the reality. Sure, the longer warranties help, but I guarantee that pretty much every one of us has had conversations about our cars where the question of reliability comes up. It seems that pretty much everyone knows or knows of someone who had a troublesome Jag. It may have been 20 years ago, but it's informing their current perception of the brand.
Hyundai and Kia has similar issues when they first appeared on our shores. Somehow they managed to fix their quality and reliability issues to the point that nobody asks if they come with a flatbed. What did they do that JLR hasn't?

Old 01-18-2016, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Perceptions are a funny thing and often are not accurate.

I just looked at Consumer Reports ratings of best brands. MB is ranked near the bottom, but I don't think that is consistent with it's perception in the real world. Jeep and VW have also been perennial cellar-dwellers, yet they continue to sell very well. Jeep has one of the most loyal owner bases in the US. Buick is ranked as one of the best . . . go figure.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:00 AM
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Hyundai and Kia gave you a 10yr/100000mls factory warranty (powertrain at least) to counter that I believe

Old 01-18-2016, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by jm717
Hyundai and Kia gave you a 10yr/100000mls factory warranty (powertrain at least) to counter that I believe
And, they are both rated in Consumer Reports Top 10.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:29 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
Hyundai and Kia has similar issues when they first appeared on our shores. Somehow they managed to fix their quality and reliability issues to the point that nobody asks if they come with a flatbed. What did they do that JLR hasn't?
Just about everybody knows somebody with a newer Hyundia or Kia that will 'set them straight'.

Most people who have heard that Jags are not reliable don't actually know anyone who owns one. Therefore the rumours are believed to be true.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames

I went to see the XE and F-Pace at a local auto show last weekend and while I was at the Jaguar booth I heard this discussed by other visitors the entire time I was there. One guy kept asking the Jaguar rep if you still needed two Jags so one was in the road when one was in the shop, and went on to share the "joke" with others at the booth. Land Rover should of course suffer the same issue, but they have a stronger brand and desirability than Jaguar do right now and the "want" overcomes the concerns.

If there's one thing Jag needs to do it's figure out how to start to change the marketplace perceptions.
Related - I got a chuckle out of this.

Attached Thumbnails Top 10 Reasons Why Car Buyers Choose a Specific Vehicle Model-1923qbnuazlarjpg.jpg  
Old 01-20-2016, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
If everyone went in this order this would be be an empty forum.
I drove one car from 1995 - mid-2015. About 10 years ago, I realized how unsafe it was (Wrangler, no airbag), and the gas mileage sucked. I started saving, researching, plotting. Looking for safe, environmentally friendly, fuel efficient cars. Dare I say I thought about a souped up Ford Fusion for about one second.

So, I can honestly say that #4a and #10 are what led me to the convertble Jaguar. LOL It's safer than the jeep, gets better mpg, and the aluminimum frame makes the curb wait highly environmentally friendly?

okay I may be stretching...

Old 01-20-2016, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Perceptions are a funny thing and often are not accurate.

I just looked at Consumer Reports ratings of best brands. MB is ranked near the bottom, but I don't think that is consistent with it's perception in the real world. Jeep and VW have also been perennial cellar-dwellers, yet they continue to sell very well. Jeep has one of the most loyal owner bases in the US. Buick is ranked as one of the best . . . go figure.
As I drone on about, I am that Wrangler owner.. apparently loyal enough to constantly mention it. Issue is, since the Jag, my Jeep just sits there. I really need to figure out what to do with it. It's my first car and so much history, but it is insulting to let it watch me zoom around, and ignore it. I feel bad. =) Talk about loyal.