Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top 5 best and worst at Geneva

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default Top 5 best and worst at Geneva

The worst are GREAT. The Tesla comment... Tesla owners remind me of Bernie supporters or anti-vaxxers.... personal, spirited, anecdotal opinions are wonderful, but a detachment from the reality of the free market and science is pretty troubling.

2016 Geneva Motor Show: Five Best and Worst Cars - News - NDTV CarAndBike.com

But yes, it is relevant in that TATA's JLR is wildly different than the "best car in the mechanic's parking lot" of old. =)

Old 03-09-2016, 07:56 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

...maybe we can keep politics out of here? I'm a Bernie supporter and I assure you I know the free market quite well.

Also, I see your ability to think about politics is as limited as your ability to evaluate cars. The Tesla Model S is a FANTASTIC car at what it does.

The following 3 users liked this post by LobsterClaws:
Dremorg (03-09-2016), LynxFX (03-09-2016), TwiztOG43 (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 09:38 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

This is one persons opinion. A lot of these magazine writers are idiots IMO.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
The worst are GREAT. The Tesla comment... Tesla owners remind me of Bernie supporters or anti-vaxxers.... personal, spirited, anecdotal opinions are wonderful, but a detachment from the reality of the free market and science is pretty troubling.

2016 Geneva Motor Show: Five Best and Worst Cars - News - NDTV CarAndBike.com

But yes, it is relevant in that TATA's JLR is wildly different than the "best car in the mechanic's parking lot" of old. =)
Thanks for this post.. interesting take on what's the best car or not. Have to agree on the Tesla having limitations in the practical world along with repair issues.
Lawrence

Old 03-10-2016, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
...maybe we can keep politics out of here? I'm a Bernie supporter and I assure you I know the free market quite well.

Also, I see your ability to think about politics is as limited as your ability to evaluate cars. The Tesla Model S is a FANTASTIC car at what it does.
Totally.. I am agnostic there, so apologies. I was just being spirited and zesty. I am batting 1000 today because I started talking about the complexities of uninsured drivers in a different thread. LOL I said I've watching way way too much political "discourse", and just need to go for a drive.

My opinion on the Tesla (just that... opinion) is that if you are buying a luxury car that isn't like ours, I would want it more sophisticated, better interiors, and better ride/suspension. To be a shallow bum, the bubbly front bothers me.

But Mulmur's point is totally valid.... almost zero maintenance on that car. That's really wild. What's more, the idea of going to sleep with one car, and then waking up with one that literally feels and drives different because of over the air upgrades.... that's unreal.

The upgrade screen lets you set a time for install, but it can take nearly an hour. http://image.motortrend.ca/f/6279005...e-schedule.jpg

Old 03-10-2016, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

There may be almost zero routine, scheduled maintenance on the Tesla, but relative to other cars, historically they have averaged a higher rate of non-routine maintenance (e.g. malfunctions) than most other models. However, I understand their reliability has improved of late.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Maybe I was in a scaled down trim but I caught a ride in a model S and thought the interior was horrible. Like a civic.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
There may be almost zero routine, scheduled maintenance on the Tesla, but relative to other cars, historically they have averaged a higher rate of non-routine maintenance (e.g. malfunctions) than most other models. However, I understand their reliability has improved of late.
Well, as long as we're talking about this, I was hesitating posting the below in another thread as it may be OT, so here we go:

I was researching repair costs for our car (aluminum), and ran across Tesla owners complaining about cost of repairs (aluminum), IE "A Child with a baseball bat could total a Tesla": A Child With A Baseball Bat Could Total A Tesla Model S - Business Insider

LOL

And then this guy who suggests Tesla is building throwaway cars (non-repairable):
Blogger Says Tesla Is Building Throwaway Cars - Gas 2

Old 03-11-2016, 09:36 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Well, as long as we're talking about this, I was hesitating posting the below in another thread as it may be OT, so here we go:

I was researching repair costs for our car (aluminum), and ran across Tesla owners complaining about cost of repairs (aluminum), IE "A Child with a baseball bat could total a Tesla": A Child With A Baseball Bat Could Total A Tesla Model S - Business Insider

LOL

And then this guy who suggests Tesla is building throwaway cars (non-repairable):
Blogger Says Tesla Is Building Throwaway Cars - Gas 2
That was my thoughts when Ford went to an all aluminum F150. Most of them are bought as work trucks. Seems there could be some very expensive repair bills.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Oh for cryin' out loud, the politically correct police are on the prowl again, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by tberg
Oh for cryin' out loud, the politically correct police are on the prowl again, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
wut? I'm pretty sure this the F-Type forum. There's an off-topic forum where it seems political ranting is all the rage. That stuff belongs there.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:53 AM

Totally.. I am agnostic there, so apologies. I was just being spirited and zesty. I am batting 1000 today because I started talking about the complexities of uninsured drivers in a different thread. LOL I said I've watching way way too much political "discourse", and just need to go for a drive.

My opinion on the Tesla (just that... opinion) is that if you are buying a luxury car that isn't like ours, I would want it more sophisticated, better interiors, and better ride/suspension. To be a shallow bum, the bubbly front bothers me.

But Mulmur's point is totally valid.... almost zero maintenance on that car. That's really wild. What's more, the idea of going to sleep with one car, and then waking up with one that literally feels and drives different because of over the air upgrades.... that's unreal.

The upgrade screen lets you set a time for install, but it can take nearly an hour. http://image.motortrend.ca/f/6279005...e-schedule.jpg
Ha! No problem! I'm also caught up in election season and it's hard to make myself avoid the discussions at times!

The Tesla I think does some things really really well and some things quite poorly. I borrowed one for a weekend and had a lot of thoughts about it. As others have noted, the interior materials aren't as high quality as you'd expect at the price point. Also while the handling has three modes, even the sportiest isn't quite as sporty as I'd like. I love how massive the difference in between them is. Sporty mode (whatever it is called) is fun-ish and comfort mode feels like driving on air. Good for driving when you just want to be comfortable.

The acceleration is also bananas. Ludicrous mode is aptly named. I also love the ability for the car to receive significant updates without taking it in. Adding the autopilot mode was very cool (and it works quite well on the highway! I had it drive me about 30 miles). Finally, the in-car electronics are so so so much better than ours are.

As for the aesthetics..eh..I think it's pretty good looking for a massive sedan so long as you get the largest wheels. It's not incredible looking though. Nothing like our F-Types.

So, yeah, has pros and cons. At some point I'll probably pick one up to be my "gonna go get stuck in traffic" car.