F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Gear on the F-Type - Says the V6S is best!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 05:10 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Top Gear on the F-Type - Says the V6S is best!

Its an amazing read! Post up your thoughts.

Top Gear's ultimate Jaguar F-Type road test - BBC Top Gear

Old 01-10-2014, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

As I expressed in the thread about the V8 F-type vs. Corvette comparison, I am also leaning towards the V6S coupe for my future purchase. I test drove the V8 and loved it. It rode surprisingly well, sounded like pure hell on wheels (poor people I blew-by with my foot buried to the floor on the freeway; they must still be cleaning out their underwears from the fright)

I still have to test drive the V6S. Sounds more civilized and likely a better balanced version of the V8. Yeah, will not go that fast but, nearly 400 HP is, really, fast enough. If you do not think so you really need to explain to me where you could apply that extra 100 HP to any real effect in our speed limited environments. Like a tester commented about the Ford Fiesta ST (290 HP?) during a magazine comparison test: they loved the performance of the Fiesta because its performance was USABLE under "near normal" driving conditions. 500+ HP is, truly, not usable for most people, except on race tracks. How many people will take their cars on a race track?

So, my present leaning is towards the V6S (adaptable suspension is a must for me) but, reserve the right to become emotionally unstable upon riding in the V8 and impulsively selecting it.

Albert

Old 01-11-2014, 09:21 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I followed a V8S on some country roads, and I couldn't help laughing with all the snarling, gurgling and popping sounds it made. Very cool, but I couldn't live with that on a daily basis. Love my V6S - very usable but still intoxicating power. And it really only gets noisy if I put my foot down.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree. I purchased the V6 (not S). Why? 2 reasons, from all I read and what the dealer told me, the S’s power comes at the top end on the gear it is in. At lower RMP’s the V6 and V6S are about the same. All I need.
2nd reason, I got a smoking good deal on the V6 and it was the color we wanted (indigo Blue).

Old 01-11-2014, 10:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I followed a V8S on some country roads, and I couldn't help laughing with all the snarling, gurgling and popping sounds it made. Very cool, but I couldn't live with that on a daily basis. Love my V6S - very usable but still intoxicating power. And it really only gets noisy if I put my foot down.

Ah the rationalization!

Actually the V8 is pretty quiet when exhaust button is in the quiet mode. I actually have come to like the sound of the V8 with the top up, exhaust in quiet mode, radio off.. and PUNCH IT. Makes an amazing sound when it hits around 3500-4000 RPM.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

As all the owners here know, anyone with any version of the F-Type has a phenomenal car. Top Gear will always have a problem with the bigger engine vehicles as they're living with gas at close to ten bucks a gallon. That's generally much less of an issue here in the US.

For me, the things that drove me to the V8 were the soundtrack (I personally think the V8 is unmatched) and the absolutely brutal acceleration - the V8 is simply epic in this regard. The car is an absolute powerhouse. It may well be that the slightly lighter models have a slightly better handling balance, but that's probably not something you're going to be able to take advantage of outside of the track (and the V8 would ultimately be quicker anyway around most circuits). I felt that I would get the benefit of the noise and that brutal power during pretty much any drive so that's why the V8 worked for me. Others will prioritize other things, and for them the V6 and V6S will be the perfect car. There's no right or wrong choices here - any and all versions of the F-Type are fantastic.

The following users liked this post:
themacs (01-12-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Well said

swajames (01-12-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 06:23 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

We're all very fortunate to own these beasts. So much of the attraction and allure of this car is the incredible design - it really is a beautifully proportioned and stunning car to behold, and that's something that's absolutely consistent across every version. I'm new to F-Type ownership and I can say without hesitation that this car has generated more positive comments and feedback than any other I've owned, including a couple of 997s I owned prior to the Jag.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

I was originally looking at the V6 S Coupe but after optioning it out it ended up only being around $6k cheaper than the V8 R with the same options (most come standard). For that cost difference I think the V8 is totally worth it.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
As I expressed in the thread about the V8 F-type vs. Corvette comparison, I am also leaning towards the V6S coupe for my future purchase. I test drove the V8 and loved it. It rode surprisingly well, sounded like pure hell on wheels (poor people I blew-by with my foot buried to the floor on the freeway; they must still be cleaning out their underwears from the fright)

I still have to test drive the V6S. Sounds more civilized and likely a better balanced version of the V8. Yeah, will not go that fast but, nearly 400 HP is, really, fast enough. If you do not think so you really need to explain to me where you could apply that extra 100 HP to any real effect in our speed limited environments. Like a tester commented about the Ford Fiesta ST (290 HP?) during a magazine comparison test: they loved the performance of the Fiesta because its performance was USABLE under "near normal" driving conditions. 500+ HP is, truly, not usable for most people, except on race tracks. How many people will take their cars on a race track?

So, my present leaning is towards the V6S (adaptable suspension is a must for me) but, reserve the right to become emotionally unstable upon riding in the V8 and impulsively selecting it.

Albert
Albert,

You will love the V6S, especially the sound of it. It very much like resembles an F1 car.

It also performs well. When i test drove them both, i had didn't let my foot off the V6S as much. The V8S' throttle was like a switch, i had to be on and off constantly.

If i was going to buy one, personally the V8S would be my choice, only because that car scares me.

axr6 (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 07:37 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
Albert,

You will love the V6S, especially the sound of it. It very much like resembles an F1 car.

It also performs well. When i test drove them both, i had didn't let my foot off the V6S as much. The V8S' throttle was like a switch, i had to be on and off constantly.

If i was going to buy one, personally the V8S would be my choice, only because that car scares me.

Be Afraid… It’s Good for You! Medical researchers have determined that the occasional frightening experience may provide certain health benefits. Specifically, being frightened releases adrenaline, increasing circulation and heightening alertness. So, if you haven’t had a good scare lately, what better time than now.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
Albert,

....If i was going to buy one, personally the V8S would be my choice, only because that car scares me.
Ha....ha...ha... that is the best rationalization for a potential purchase.

I am not sure that I follow that reasoning because I seem to progress in the opposite direction; These days I seem to be rather abandoning activities that used to scare me (open wheel racing, big wave surfing, heavy white water etc). Perhaps because, by the most recent count, I have used up 6 of my 9 cat-lives and finally occurred to me that I was quite breakable.

Yes, the V6S sounds excellent for me but, again, that V8 will continue to be tempting.

Albert

Old 01-24-2014, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by jleuz1
Be Afraid… It’s Good for You! Medical researchers have determined that the occasional frightening experience may provide certain health benefits. Specifically, being frightened releases adrenaline, increasing circulation and heightening alertness. So, if you haven’t had a good scare lately, what better time than now.
I am used to fast cars, but I will never forget the ride in my godfather's Cobra. 620rwhp at 2500rpms.

But yes, little bit of fear goes a long way. You respect the car and you get respect back. Keeps you on your toes and alert.....it's speed and comfort that is a very bad combination.

Originally Posted by axr6
Ha....ha...ha... that is the best rationalization for a potential purchase.
I am not sure that I follow that reasoning because I seem to progress in the opposite direction; These days I seem to be rather abandoning activities that used to scare me (open wheel racing, big wave surfing, heavy white water etc). Perhaps because, by the most recent count, I have used up 6 of my 9 cat-lives and finally occurred to me that I was quite breakable.

Yes, the V6S sounds excellent for me but, again, that V8 will continue to be tempting.

Albert
Ha ha ha.
Slow down there Albert, you will be running out of those before you know it. We all want you on here

The V8S has lot of my respect. It's just an amazing machine...

When the time comes, be sure to take them both on nice and long 30 minute test drive before you make the final decision.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:04 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Drove all three ended up with V8

Fully optioned out the price difference here in CA between the V6S and the V8S was $9K. I actually liked the sound of the V6S better, more F1 less Cobra but I knew I'd kick myself for not getting the V8. It is kind of like a Cobra or a Sunbeam Tiger but then I still look back at when I could have bought a Sunbeam Tiger and still kick myself for not doing it (I got the Alpine instead). Plan is to trade the V8S for the V8R Coup at some point as my only real gripe is not being able to put anything substantial in that joke of a trunk. We'll see once I see the sunroof in person. Every upgrade with the possible exception of the Stereo was worth it, the sport seats are that much better, the lighting and sensor package is wonderful, though were I to do it over again I'd go black wheels and not the CF Blades.