Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torn between P450 vs SVR

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2024, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torn between P450 vs SVR

Hi All

Currently in the market for an F-type and came across 2 options that are within my budget. A 2022 P450 convertible and a 2017 SVR convertible. The mileage on the SVR is slightly higher at 32k vs 17k on the P450. Looking for advice on which I should pick. I understand that the P450 has warranty + service contract as part of it being Jaguar EliteCare (i think). Both cars are accident-free. I know I would need to get new tires on the P450 vs using the tires that came with the SVR as they're only a year old. To my knowledge, the facelifted P450 has the same supercharger as SVR just that it's detuned. I think the P450 also has the same suspension components as the SVR.

The P450 has had an inspection and is out of alignment and I was wondering if the alignment is actually from factory or an unreported incident has likely happened to the car.

Old 06-20-2024, 11:04 AM
Received 190 Likes on 120 Posts

Do your homework and pick the one you like the most.

Old 06-20-2024, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

The P450 does not have the same suspension as the SVR.

The common myth is the SVR is just an R with 25 more HP. This is in part due to Jaguar's failure to properly market the car. Oddly, they've been much more successful with the F-Pace SVR than the F-Type SVR. The F-Type SVR was basically an attempt to put out something like BMW's M series or Mercedes' AMG. Jaguar threw the parts catalogue at it, including things that are only found on the SVR. Some are largely cosmetic, others are more substantial. Here's a non-comprehensive list about what is different.

Engine tune. 25 HP and this can easily be gained on any V8 F-type.
Heat shield that is attached to the underside of the hood rather than on top of the engine. This can be fitted onto any AWD F-Type pre-facelift
Front end with larger air intakes. You can swap this out with other pre-facelift F-Types, but you start getting into more money.
Ventilated front brakes. You would need to order new inner fender wells, new fenders and new fender wings, along with various accessories, like the side vents. I'm not sure if this would adapt to post facelift cars, but it probably would.
Rear valance. I believe the facelift Rs now come equipped with these.
Active C/F wing. I've seen people fit these to other F-Types. They are rare and expensive
Aluminum suspension components. I don't know all the part numbers and I believe the new Rs come with these.
Full titanium exhaust. I don't think there is any reason this can't be added to other AWD F-Types, but I would go aftermarket at those prices. It's a great exhaust (true dual, no 'shared' muffler).
Wheels - Easy enough to add to any F-Type. Again, I'd go aftermarket.
Interior - They really went all in here. Alcantara used liberally, the diamond stich seats and door panels, full leather package, C/F trim and more. It's next level.

There are other little things, like the VMAX mode for hitting 200 MPH. The SVRs are rare. More were made in 2017 than all other years combined, and they didn't make that many in 2017. I traded from an R to an SVR and am very happy with that choice. It really is a special car.

The following 2 users liked this post by eeeeek:
bk000 (06-20-2024), Chuckster (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 12:08 PM
Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

The wheel alignment being out may not be a big deal. Without seeing the actual numbers that would show how far it is out of spec you can't really say if it is an issue. That failed indication may just mean it does not meet the factory spec. One pothole could cause that.

Old 06-20-2024, 12:14 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

AIUI, the P575 has the SVR suspension, or parts thereof.

Old 06-20-2024, 04:39 PM
Received 440 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
AIUI, the P575 has the SVR suspension, or parts thereof.
At least the '24s do (as part of the 75th anniversary). I didn't think the '23s and older did.

Old 06-20-2024, 05:28 PM
Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
The P450 does not have the same suspension as the SVR.

The common myth is the SVR is just an R with 25 more HP. This is in part due to Jaguar's failure to properly market the car. Oddly, they've been much more successful with the F-Pace SVR than the F-Type SVR. The F-Type SVR was basically an attempt to put out something like BMW's M series or Mercedes' AMG. Jaguar threw the parts catalogue at it, including things that are only found on the SVR. Some are largely cosmetic, others are more substantial. Here's a non-comprehensive list about what is different.

Engine tune. 25 HP and this can easily be gained on any V8 F-type.
Heat shield that is attached to the underside of the hood rather than on top of the engine. This can be fitted onto any AWD F-Type pre-facelift
Front end with larger air intakes. You can swap this out with other pre-facelift F-Types, but you start getting into more money.
Ventilated front brakes. You would need to order new inner fender wells, new fenders and new fender wings, along with various accessories, like the side vents. I'm not sure if this would adapt to post facelift cars, but it probably would.
Rear valance. I believe the facelift Rs now come equipped with these.
Active C/F wing. I've seen people fit these to other F-Types. They are rare and expensive
Aluminum suspension components. I don't know all the part numbers and I believe the new Rs come with these.
Full titanium exhaust. I don't think there is any reason this can't be added to other AWD F-Types, but I would go aftermarket at those prices. It's a great exhaust (true dual, no 'shared' muffler).
Wheels - Easy enough to add to any F-Type. Again, I'd go aftermarket.
Interior - They really went all in here. Alcantara used liberally, the diamond stich seats and door panels, full leather package, C/F trim and more. It's next level.

There are other little things, like the VMAX mode for hitting 200 MPH. The SVRs are rare. More were made in 2017 than all other years combined, and they didn't make that many in 2017. I traded from an R to an SVR and am very happy with that choice. It really is a special car.
Pretty sure the current R has the old SVR suspension, at least to some degree. SVR is stamped all over the place on suspension components of my 2024 R. My understanding was that the R has it but not the P450.

Old 06-21-2024, 01:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cpq100
The wheel alignment being out may not be a big deal. Without seeing the actual numbers that would show how far it is out of spec you can't really say if it is an issue. That failed indication may just mean it does not meet the factory spec. One pothole could cause that.

here's the specific report. Any more insights?

Old 06-21-2024, 06:14 AM
Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

It is not out far enough to indicate accident or any major damage occurred. It just needs an alignment.

Old 06-21-2024, 09:40 PM
Received 175 Likes on 98 Posts

Personally I'd go for the '17 SVR on the basis of the headlights alone. The cat eyes looked great, still can't stand the squinty-looking refresh.

Looks aside, the SVR is more special in my opinion, and as described above by a previous post. Also, aren't the more recent cars quieter? I think I recall people complaining about that. That might be a plus for some people though.
By contrast the 2017 SVR is absolutely raucous.

Randy Pobst seemed to like it:

Last edited by Luc Lapierre; 06-21-2024 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-21-2024, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

I'd trust Vik's (eeeeek) opinion, as he traded up to the SVR and seems to have no regrets.

Old 06-22-2024, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
Personally I'd go for the '17 SVR on the basis of the headlights alone. The cat eyes looked great, still can't stand the squinty-looking refresh.

Looks aside, the SVR is more special in my opinion, and as described above by a previous post. Also, aren't the more recent cars quieter? I think I recall people complaining about that. That might be a plus for some people though.
By contrast the 2017 SVR is absolutely raucous.

Randy Pobst seemed to like it: https://youtu.be/60d6zQi0744?si=GLsZ6aeSUFYCCTXH
i would agree that the SVR is more special, to state the obvious.

As for the look of the new car vs. the old: Taking a cross section of comments here and on YouTube videos it certainly does seem to be polarizing for whatever the reason. Which is hard for my brain to compute, because to me the new car just looks so much better.

I took a buddy over to the dealership to see my car ahead of delivery. It was on the floor right next to a used prev gen that a guy traded in on a new gen. The words out of my friend’s mouth was, “The new gen is what this car should have looked like from day one”. I personally agree with him, so it just goes to show how individual this stuff can be.

For us seeing them right next to each other in the flesh showed how truly out dated the original design looks. I don’t think pictures and videos shows this. Seeing this in person shows it a lot in my opinion.

I like both designs, but I most definitely prefer the new look. In fact, for me the weakest part of the old design is the front end and headlights. I don’t see what people keep going on about with that, how amazing they look etc…I always thought that, even before the new look came out. The rear was always the money shot for me. Again, so individual this stuff, which is completely fine.

The one thing I’m not a fan of on the new car compared to the old are those surrounds around the side vents. That looks cheapy to me a bit. The old look with the real mesh and Jaguar script looks a lot better.

All this said, an SVR does bring a lot of little bits in the previous gen that make it look pretty sick compared to a regular prev gen car. They are pretty awesome. I would probably go with the SVR in this case too provided lack of warranty wasn’t a problem, I didn’t have concerns about the state of the vehicle, etc…

Some real first world problems the OP has here to work through ;-o

Old 06-23-2024, 11:51 AM
Received 190 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by DMeister
As for the look of the new car vs. the old: Taking a cross section of comments here and on YouTube videos it certainly does seem to be polarizing for whatever the reason. Which is hard for my brain to compute, because to me the new car just looks so much better.
It's like when BMW changed the style of lighting about twenty years ago and nobody liked it at first. When the updated F type front lighting design first debuted, it was not received very well either, and then people began to warm up to it.

You'll know in about thirty years when both designs are out of style and the geometry will have to stand on its own. Seems to me that if Ian Callum thought that the original headlamp design was "appropriate," it probably is. Time will tell.

Last edited by synthesis; 06-23-2024 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-23-2024, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by synthesis
It's like when BMW changed the style of lighting about twenty years ago and nobody liked it at first. When the updated F type front lighting design first debuted, it was not received very well either, and then people began to warm up to it.

You'll know in about thirty years when both designs are out of style and the geometry will have to stand on their own. Seems to me that if Ian Callum thought that the original headlamp design was "appropriate," it probably is. Time will tell.
I’m not claiming to know more about design than Ian. However, people like that probably look back on some of their past work and don’t approve occasionally, so it’s not because he did something at some point that it’s perfect. We all have the opportunity to cringe at out past selves sometimes ;-0 I’m not say he would here, but I’m sure you know what I mean…

I’m only speaking about what I like at the end of the day here. Let’s be honest, an F-type’s an F-type’s an F-type. I think either variant will stand the test of time more than most cars will. I really believe that, and I do like them both.

Think C8 Corvette. People will look at that car in the future and possibly puke. Like, for real. That is a masterclass in what not to do. Would love to know what the Ian’s of the world think of the C8 ;-0

Old 06-24-2024, 01:55 PM
Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

The only reason people is "warming up" to BMW design is because every new generation is uglier then the previous. In comparison, then, the older-new design starts to look good.
What the "original" f-type design lack IMO is the removal of the front bar. That IMO modernize the look a lot.
I also saw old and new F-types live and I would never pick the new one.
And to close the statement, newer (looks) does not necessary mean better (looks).
So, I would pick SVR.

Last edited by J444G; 06-24-2024 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-24-2024, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by J444G
The only reason people is "warming up" to BMW design is because every new generation is uglier then the previous. In comparison, then, the older-new design starts to look good.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! The first time I saw the new 4 series, I really wondered what BMW was thinking. Then I saw the new 7 series..

By way of contrast, I really like what they did with the new Z4 and I just about pulled the trigger on an M850i...