F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touch panel unresponsive / Software issue??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Touch panel unresponsive / Software issue??

Hi All, suddenly I can't access Audio, Phone, or SatNav via the touchscreen on my 2014 3lr F-Type S, plus tailgate won't open (via key fob, cabin switch, or manual button). I bought this car in 2016 and it's not had a software update since I purchased it. Could this be a software issue?? (I can't think of what else it might be)
Best Regards to you all.
Terry

Old 03-09-2024, 10:17 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 1,120 Posts

First port of call: what's the state of your battery? Give it an overnight charge and start diagnosing from there. And if you're still on the original battery, consider it may need replacing.

The following users liked this post:
temeangler (03-09-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 10:34 AM
Received 446 Likes on 241 Posts

+1 for battery. Don't try to diagnose anything else until you fully charge the battery overnight. These cars do strange things when charge is low. And how old is the battery?

temeangler (03-09-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 11:24 AM

Aaaah, I tried charging it last weekend but after 36hrs it still said it was "CHARGING". The battery has been flagged up as "LOW" every week or so, and I intended replacing it ...but now I can't open boot!! Will put it on charge ....again! MANY THANKS

Old 03-09-2024, 12:17 PM
Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

Also make sure that the hazard warning triangle on the dash goes out ten minutes after the car has been turned off. If it does not you need to reset the battery management system by disconnecting one of the battery leads for a minute and then reconnecting it.

If the hazard warning triangle light does not go out after ten minutes the battery is being drained.

Old 03-09-2024, 12:59 PM

Thanks cpq100, not sure if the warning triangle stayed on or not. Will check on next start-up. The 'Beast' is now back on charge and I'll have to see how it goes. One immediate problem is, I can't open the tailgate to get to said battery! My intentions have been to buy a new battery for it ASAP since the ECO mode stopped working a few months ago ...probably because the car gets such little use. And it being winter doesn't help with 'cold starts'. My issue (before not being able to open tailgate) has been ..."Which battery"

Old 03-09-2024, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,258 Likes on 1,365 Posts

The fact that your car gets “so little use”, combined with the symptoms you have described is the clearest possible indication that your battery is at fault. The fact that it has taken more than 36 hours to show a full charge (and did it ever get to full charge?) suggests the you indeed need a new battery (which is your intention).

Note first that new batteries are virtually never fully charged at purchase. You should bring the new battery to full charge before installation, and given that the car is little used, you should consider keeping the car on a battery minder when it is not actually in use (CTEK units being the preferred brand). These battery minders can be left connected for months on end with no battery damage (the opposite, in fact).

And are you aware that the (irritating) ECO stop/start can be left permanently dead or disconnected with no effect on any other system?

temeangler (03-09-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 04:08 PM

Thanks for (all) that sov211, and yes I'm aware that the ECO can be disengaged ...it's rarely been used anyway as I rarely drive it 'in traffic'. As soon as I gain access to the tailgate area I'll be fitting a new battery, which I'll charge it fully before use, and I'll certainly look into battery minders (esp. CTEK units)
N.b... I live in a rural location, I'm an angler, so the car I drive most is a highly reliable 2008 X Type Estate (which I've also got a problem with at the moment. I mean, £1800 to supply/fit a replacement quarter light/glass!! I had to smash it after locking myself out of the car with the engine running)
Many thanks again

Old 03-09-2024, 04:40 PM
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by temeangler
Thanks cpq100, not sure if the warning triangle stayed on or not. Will check on next start-up. The 'Beast' is now back on charge and I'll have to see how it goes. One immediate problem is, I can't open the tailgate to get to said battery! My intentions have been to buy a new battery for it ASAP since the ECO mode stopped working a few months ago ...probably because the car gets such little use. And it being winter doesn't help with 'cold starts'. My issue (before not being able to open tailgate) has been ..."Which battery"
Supply a 12v power supply to the + / - terminals under the hood to supply power to open the trunk with your trunk button on your dash (assuming you have a powered liftgate) to gain access to your trunk / battery.

Old 03-09-2024, 04:44 PM

The car starts (well, leaps into life) first time, every time, no problem .... but tomorrow I will try to open tailgate whilst charger is connected.
Thanks

Old 03-09-2024, 04:52 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 1,120 Posts

If you're using a battery maintainer rather than a "charger" it may not supply enough current to get the trunk open. I'm assuming your old battery is still connected properly so you have a good circuit through it, in which case a spare battery could be connected across the underhood terminals.

temeangler (03-09-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,258 Likes on 1,365 Posts

N.b... I live in a rural location, I'm an angler, so the car I drive most is a highly reliable 2008 X Type Estate (which I've also got a problem with at the moment. I mean, £1800 to supply/fit a replacement quarter light/glass!! I had to smash it after locking myself out of the car with the engine running)
Many thanks again
My “daily” car, or perhaps I should say my German Shepherd’s daily car is also an X-Type Estate, sold in Canada as a “Sportwagon”….and yes, mine has been 100% reliable, not a single problem in 12 years of use. Too bad you didn’t break the front door glass since that is shared between the estate and the saloon and is consequently much cheaper!

Old 03-09-2024, 08:52 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

My 15 has a oem jag battery, I took it out to recharge and just to see how old it was, but I do not see a date code on it. Is there one?

Old 03-09-2024, 09:23 PM
Received 98 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by randyb
My 15 has a oem jag battery, I took it out to recharge and just to see how old it was, but I do not see a date code on it. Is there one?
The top of the battery will be stamped with a number. Then you have to go to the FIAMM website to decode your number.

The following 3 users liked this post by SouthSider:
Carbuff2 (03-10-2024), OzXFR (03-09-2024), randyb (03-10-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,225 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthSider
The top of the battery will be stamped with a number. Then you have to go to the FIAMM website to decode your number.
Thanks for that!
I have previously spent many minutes poking around the OEM FIAMM battery in my 2014 F-Type trying to find a date code but to no avail.
I plugged the six digit number stamped on the top of the battery - 438121 - into the FIAMM decoder and it came up with Year 4 (must mean 2014), Week 38, Day 1, Workshift 2, N/D 1. All self explanatory except no idea what N/D 1 means.
So the battery in my car was made in week 38 of 2014 so third week of September 2014, makes sense as the car build date is October 2014.
Means my battery is now 9 years and 6 months old and it's still going strong!
Not easy to find but here is the site to plug the six digit number into: https://battery-code.info/web/index....Fbrand&bid=120

Last edited by OzXFR; 03-09-2024 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:15 AM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts
Old 03-10-2024, 07:46 AM

Well I've had it on charge overnight and charger has registered battery as "Fully Charged". I started the car (zero problem there), but still no audio/telephone/Sat Nav via touchscreen, and pressing the interior switch for the tailgate results in a "clunk", and prompts the "Tailgate Open" warning triangle....but it doesn't actually open. It seems mechanically stuck half open, and pressing the button on the key fob, or underside of tailgate, has no effect. To remove the "Tailgate Open" warning I have to press down really hard on the top of the tailgate... otherwise it's stuck half-open apparently.

Old 03-10-2024, 11:51 AM
Received 98 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Thanks for that!
I have previously spent many minutes poking around the OEM FIAMM battery in my 2014 F-Type trying to find a date code but to no avail.
I plugged the six digit number stamped on the top of the battery - 438121 - into the FIAMM decoder and it came up with Year 4 (must mean 2014), Week 38, Day 1, Workshift 2, N/D 1. All self explanatory except no idea what N/D 1 means.
@OzXFR I think the N/D could be a plant manufacturer code, just a guess.

Old 03-10-2024, 11:56 AM
Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

Well I've had it on charge overnight and charger has registered battery as "Fully Charged". I started the car (zero problem there), but still no audio/telephone/Sat Nav via touchscreen, and pressing the interior switch for the tailgate results in a "clunk", and prompts the "Tailgate Open" warning triangle....but it doesn't actually open. It seems mechanically stuck half open, and pressing the button on the key fob, or underside of tailgate, has no effect. To remove the "Tailgate Open" warning I have to press down really hard on the top of the tailgate... otherwise it's stuck half-open apparently.
I would start with the easy solutions first. Start checking fuses.

Old 03-10-2024, 11:59 AM

Yes, but the fuses for the touchscreen are in the tailgate area. That's how I found out tailgate wouldn't open (I was intending to check the fuses for the touchscreen).

Quick Reply: Touch panel unresponsive / Software issue??