F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touch panel unresponsive / Software issue??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,287 Likes on 1,382 Posts

Originally Posted by temeangler
Yes, but the fuses for the touchscreen are in the tailgate area. That's how I found out tailgate wouldn't open (I was intending to check the fuses for the touchscreen).

The symptoms do not support the theory of failed fuses, but most definitely indicate battery failure.

Old 03-10-2024, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to think that you're right sov211, but charger indicates "Fully Charged" and tailgate reacts strongly to either the interior switch, the fob switch, or the manual switch ...but only with a 'clunk' .... with the tailgate seeming to push up and 'half-release'. If the interior button is repeatedly pressed then there is obvious (visual) repeated movement of the tailgate trying to open (it's being pushed up slightly by the 'pistons'). But it's as though there's a physical catch/lock stopping it from rising fully.

Old 03-10-2024, 03:41 PM
Received 99 Likes on 56 Posts

Here is a long shot. On my 2014, where the push button is on the trunk, there seems to be 4-6 round decorative blind covers possibly hiding access to mounting screws. They are flush with the push button cover, so it would take a razor knife point to pry out. You would have to look at a diagram on the pdf manual to see if it is possible. I have always wondered if it would work. Luckily I haven't had your problem. Best of luck.

Old 03-11-2024, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 607 Likes on 415 Posts

it's as though there's a physical catch/lock stopping (the tailgate) from rising fully.
Have you tried physically LIFTING the tailgate as the latch CLUNKs? If you get it open, first evaluate or replace the battery, then use a few drops of oil on the tailgate latch assembly. (If you have the powered hatch struts, I don't know if they can be successfully lubricated, perhaps a spray of silicone?)

SEARCH Battery Control here. Even with a new battery, the car may not 'recognize' that the proper current is available. Most folks replace a battery without re-setting this, supposedly it eventually 'learns' on its own....

Good Luck!

Old 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM

OK ....so I finally managed to open tailgate (to inspect fuses for touchscreen etc) by feeding a long metal rod with a hook on the end (fashioned from a clothes hanger) under the parcel shelf from inside of the vehicle, and with that hook I pulled on the emergency release cord. It 'clunked', so I then pressed the tailgate lift button on my key fob, and voila, the tailgate majestically rose! I removed the battery cover, the tailgate well cover, and then lifted out the tailgate well ...only to find the area underneath the pre-formed well flooded with water. This is the second time this has happened so it's an ongoing problem.
The pre-formed plastic well insert (that which may be used to store pump/pressure gauge/towrope/etc) was bone dry to its top surface but wet underneath, and so was the the well and battery covers. So it would appear that all the water is coming from below/underneath (unlikely?) or???? The channel that the tailgate slots into when down (in place/closed) was very wet, but there appears to be 2 drain holes at the bottom of said channel to take water away...but where to?
As I say, this is the second time the tailgate area underneath the pre-formed plastic well has flooded (previously I thought my local dealer had left the tailgate open whilst it was raining heavily), and I think I eliminated the possibility that it was a washer fluid leak. So any thoughts?? All suggestions are truly welcome, and will be graciously received

Old 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Received 162 Likes on 122 Posts

Dry it out and then get someone to sit inside the car with the hatch closed - having taken precautions that you can open the hatch afterwards. Then have a second person spray the car all over with a hose to see where and how the water is getting in.

Old 03-11-2024, 12:41 PM

Hi cpq100 ... many thanks for your reply. The first time my tailgate well flooded I thought the same (maybe rain ingress with tailgate closed) ...so I pressure washed back of car for 5mins! And nothing, dry as a bone inside. The water in my tailgate well earlier today was rusty brown, so it appears that ingress has slowly built up, rusting nuts/bolts as time passed. Any idea where water drains to (through drain holes) that runs through/collects in channel that the edge of tailgate fits into when down?

Old 03-11-2024, 12:43 PM

My original thread re. first leak into tailgate (Jan 2023
https://www.jaguarforum.com/threads/...no-gps.138327/

Old 03-11-2024, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by temeangler
Hi cpq100 ... many thanks for your reply. The first time my tailgate well flooded I thought the same (maybe rain ingress with tailgate closed) ...so I pressure washed back of car for 5mins! And nothing, dry as a bone inside. The water in my tailgate well earlier today was rusty brown, so it appears that ingress has slowly built up, rusting nuts/bolts as time passed. Any idea where water drains to (through drain holes) that runs through/collects in channel that the edge of tailgate fits into when down?
Unfortunately I do not know where the water drains to. Maybe someone else can point you in the right direction, or to where the drain holes are?

When you pressure washed the back of the car did you do underneath? I use an under carriage attachment for my pressure washer similar to the one at the link below to do under the cars. It helps remove road salt, not that my F-Type gets any, I use it on our other cars.

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-11-2024, 01:58 PM

No, I didn't pressure wash underneath...great idea, thanks! Drains are as pictured .....

Old 03-11-2024, 03:11 PM

You have the locations for the top of the drain holes. I would be more concerned about where they drain to underneath. That is where they may be clogged. You could try blowing compressed air in the drain holes to dislodge any clogs. Also a thin wire carefully routed through them may also dislodge a clog underneath.

Old 03-11-2024, 05:05 PM

Yep, that's my first job tomorrow. I dried area out well this afternoon, and there's been a dehumidifier unit in tailgate well since then. But I'm thinking of putting water down one of those drain holes tomorrow and seeing where/if it comes out. All knowledge is useful eh
ATB
Terry

Old 03-12-2024, 09:47 AM

UPDATE!! Well, bad news really ... mopped out tailgate well and dried with air drier (after having had a dehumidifier in well overnight) then checked fuses. All were ok except for F2 (Audio Amplifier), which I replaced. But I then immediately saw a wisp of smoke emanating from the wire loom that enters/exits fuse-box at top left hand corner. I quickly removed replacement (F2) fuse and examined wire loom, to find it badly damaged with at least one wire completely bare and burnt through. I've still not established just how water is getting into the tailgate well, but I have established that the 3 drain holes in tailgate sealing channel (pictured above) do drain to the outside the tailgate area, so any water should exit vehicle from underneath rear bumper/underside rear of vehicle. There's also 2 drain grids under the spoiler, which allow water to drain into tailgate sealing channel.
I've now put the well cover back in place, which now supports some plastic sheeting that I've covered all of tailgate area with. But, so as to make well inspection for water easier, I've not replaced the pre-formed plastic storage area insert that would normally sit in the well. So hopefully, with the aid of the plastic sheeting, I'll eventually find how this water is getting in.
One Question though .... I'm not 100% sure where the partly burnt-out wire loom leads to, but I suspect it leads directly into a thicker loom of wire. Does anyone know if it possible, how easy it is, to replace this loom, and can it be done 'at home'?
Best Regards to you all.

Old 03-13-2024, 05:58 PM
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

No help for your harness but I would pour half a bucket of water with red food dye over the back half of the car.