F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyo Proxes 4+ tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 12:44 PM
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Toyo Proxes 4+ tires

Any have any experience with these Ultra High performance All seasons?

Cheaper, better in rain, more miles.

I think being honest, I won't ever really push my car to the max performance of the OEM tires.

Thoughts?

Old 03-29-2016, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

There's a user here who had good things to say about the Conti extreme contact DWS. Same category of tire. Haven't seen any opinions on toyos for the F.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:28 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Those Toyo Proxes seem to always get strong marks whenever they are spoken about. Looks like they make the right sizes - would definitely be curious to see how they perform on the F-Type.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I think an expectation has been established over the years among consumers that it can't be a "high-performance" car unless it's equipped with "extreme high performance summer tires," so manufacturers wanting to play in that space are locked into making them standard equipment. The only good reason is for marketing, bragging rights.

All season tires have come a long way, and today's "ultra high performance all seasons are quite good." In fact, for a daily driver, I think they're probably better suited 90+% of the time. I'm seriously considering replacing the PZeros w/ them within the next year, since my car is just an all-season, daily driver.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

No first-hand experience, but "Ultra High performance All seasons" is an oxymoron my my book. 'All seasons' forces compromise for summer clear weather performance making it impossible to be 'ultra high performance'.

I recommend Michelin Super Sport tires, they are summer tires but have decent wet handling. They are track-capable no-compromise tires.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
All season tires have come a long way, and today's "ultra high performance all seasons are quite good." In fact, for a daily driver, I think they're probably better suited 90+% of the time. I'm seriously considering replacing the PZeros w/ them within the next year, since my car is just an all-season, daily driver.
Do you have any test data to support this? That is, what is stopping distance for these vs. true summer tires? How do they handle track heat and side Gs?

Perhaps what you wanted to say that original poster may not necessary need 'ultra high performance' tires and could just get 'all seasons' that are 'quite good' for his use case?

Aside, for 99% of driving situations you can have any tire. It is that 1% that good weather-appropriate tires make all the difference between rear-end collision or skid into ditch or close call escape.

Last edited by SinF; 03-29-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

My views are based upon an extrapolation of environmental conditions over a 12 month period in the 2/3rds of this country that experiences 4 seasons. All season tires are better than summer tires any time the pavement temp goes below 50º and on any wet or frozen surface. Summer tires are clearly superior during the hot months on dry pavement.

A lot of people are spending a lot of time driving around on summer tires in conditions when all seasons would be far safer. Thus my view that all things considered, all seasons are a better all around choice for a daily driver in the majority of the US.

I'd be surprised if even 1% of F-Types ever see a race track. I'm talking exclusively daily drivers here.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-29-2016 at 02:44 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
Don1954 (02-19-2018), mshedden (03-29-2016), SinF (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
There's a user here who had good things to say about the Conti extreme contact DWS. Same category of tire. Haven't seen any opinions on toyos for the F.
I resemble that remark (although I'm not sure I am that user). I can tell you I am running Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06's and they are superb! (I've run their model before the 06's for many years with outstanding results on one of my other cars). So much so that I doubt I'm going to swap out into the OEM's. That should be proof enough that I'm extremely pleased with the performance characteristics of these tires. (Years ago I ran TOYO's on my NSX but that's a different time and a different animal).

My "cat" runs on Continental now. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 03-29-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:20 PM

Thanks for all the great comments, really helped.

I'm sure that with my driving style, I'll be better off with the Toyo all seasons. I'll get more miles, and at $850 installed for a full set, that seems hard to beat.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
I'd be surprised if even 1% of F-Types ever see a race track. I'm talking exclusively daily drivers here.
Then we 100% agree. If you don't track your car, then there is absolutely no reason to purchase more expensive (and more weather-limited) high performance tires. Maybe if you live in Germany and regularly drive 200km/h+ on autobahn.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i have been driving my ftype R with the Toyo all seasons...they are good for inclinate weather..light snow rain etc..BUT you do sacrifice a lot on highway driving and braking..I am gonna replace with MSS this week..I mean when you cruise at 90 with Toyos it feels floaty..anymore than 90 is outright dangerous and braking is BIGTIME affected...if you cruise below 70 you won't notice a huge difference..but they are no where near the caliber of Pzeros..I have a 2016 R and I feel I am wasting miles driving around in Toyo all season UNLESS the weather calls for them..hope this helps!

Old 03-29-2016, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

I have the OEM continental all seasons on my XF and they are excellent. Though I believe they are high performance and not ultra.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nati
I have the OEM continental all seasons on my XF and they are excellent. Though I believe they are high performance and not ultra.
Agreed, "ultra" is simply a marketing term for the best performing all season tires, and that by definition, all season tires are a compromise. But, if you only want to deal with one set of wheels and tires for an entire year, one should probably at least consider the best and safest compromise.

There's no question that on 80ºF, very dry day, summer extreme high performance tires are going to be superior all around. The problem is, the majority of days in a year aren't like that in most places, and it may be pouring down rain later in that same day, and below 50ºF at night.

All season tires are safe in variety of conditions, warm or cold, wet or dry. Extreme high performance summer tires are far less capable and sometimes downright scary across that same variety of conditions.

SinF (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 12:23 PM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

Tire technology had closed the gap between all season and performance tires. I personally went with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 as they reviewed very well.

The thing I noticed with most performance all season tires is they tend to have softer sidewalls. Depending on your preference of ride quality, that can be a good or a bad thing. I personally like having a stiff ride and immediate steering response. The Michelins however were noted to have stiff sidewalls compared to other brands. I ran the the Michelin Super Sports prior to going to the AS/3 and have been extremely pleased with the performance of the AS/3.

Foosh (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 02:36 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Be interesting to know if an insurance company could refuse to cover a claim that could be blamed on running summer tires in non-summer conditions.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mshedden
Be interesting to know if an insurance company could refuse to cover a claim that could be blamed on running summer tires in non-summer conditions.
I assume if one could afford F-type, one could also afford second set of tires if it is driven year-round?

The same applies to all season vs. winter tires. If you have to deal with the snow, proper winter tires are drastically better than all-seasons.

I personally use Michelin Ice X3 on all cars that see snow. I personally use Michelin Super Sport on all cars that see track. YMMV.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:19 PM

I picked up the Toyos.

$350 for 2 front tires, all season high performance, including mounting/balancing, and 3 year warranty (free replacement for the 3 years, not prorated).

I'll let y'all know how they perform!

Old 01-06-2017, 08:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very Interested in feedback from anyone who has used the Toyo Proxies 4. Have an F-Type R with 20" tires. Not a lot of options for anything other than summer tires, which are undriveable in even a millimeter of snow.

Thanks for your input!

Old 01-07-2017, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

(older post, but still a good topic)

I've used various Toyo tires over the last 12 years on a few different vehicles. In general, Toyo tires have softer sidewalls than most of their competitors in their classes (even in their race tires). This gives them a more comfortable ride as the softer sidewalls will absorb some of the road noise (whereas a stiffer tires will transmit most of that noise to the chassis).

The downside is the softer sidewall will make the steering feel less responsive and the handling feel less precise (similar to what Ruffinit posted). Depending on your driving sensitivity, you may never notice it or care about that aspect. Wear wise, I found Toyos to always do extremely will with wear with all of their tires.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget that Summer High performance are only good above 7 degrees.
Get down to below that, add in rain and you're in trouble. Continentals are really noisy Im told. I'm going with the Toyo Proxe 4 plus on my XJR. BTW- They have higher sidewall stiffness not lower.
Standard Toyo A?S are softer sidewall for sure.
Should be a good here in the rainy Northwest. Well Southwest of Canada but ... LOL

Last edited by Jcruisn; 02-17-2018 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Toyo Proxes 4+ tires