F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Dash Board Access

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 10:19 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default TPMS Dash Board Access

I cannot find a clear explanation in the manual or online.

When I access the tire pressure on my dash board it gives me 2 sets of readings per tire. When I’m driving, no number is displayed in parenthesis. When stopped, the a number “37” appears within the parenthesis. As I understand it, this number in parenthesis is the recommended tire pressure.

So my first question is, why the hell wouldn’t this number in the parenthesis appear at all times - regardless of whether you are moving or not? It’s simply the recommended tire pressure.

Secondly, I’m concerned about the accuracy of the actual tire pressure reading - which I believe is the number that appears at all times with no parenthesis - regardless of whether you are moving.

For example, after the car sat in the garage for more than a day since it was last driven, I aired up the tires to 37 psi using a tire gauge. Got in the car the next morning to leave for work and immediately checked the dash to determine what the car’s TPMS was registering before driving down the road. It read 43 psi.

After coming home from work today, I parked the car in the garage. Six hours later, I decided to let some air out of the tires. I first used the tire gauge (a nice dial style high quality gauge) and each tire read exactly 37 psi - even though the car TPMS said 43. So I aired down each tire to 32 psi using the tire gauge but the car registered 40 psi per tire.

Anyone else have issues like this with the dash board TPMS psi readings compared to their tire gauge?

Any advice on how you all would reccomend I set my tire pressure? Would you use the gauge or the TPMS?

Old 08-07-2018, 07:38 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy2017
I cannot find a clear explanation in the manual or online.

When I access the tire pressure on my dash board it gives me 2 sets of readings per tire. When I’m driving, no number is displayed in parenthesis. When stopped, the a number “37” appears within the parenthesis. As I understand it, this number in parenthesis is the recommended tire pressure.

So my first question is, why the hell wouldn’t this number in the parenthesis appear at all times - regardless of whether you are moving or not? It’s simply the recommended tire pressure.

Secondly, I’m concerned about the accuracy of the actual tire pressure reading - which I believe is the number that appears at all times with no parenthesis - regardless of whether you are moving.

For example, after the car sat in the garage for more than a day since it was last driven, I aired up the tires to 37 psi using a tire gauge. Got in the car the next morning to leave for work and immediately checked the dash to determine what the car’s TPMS was registering before driving down the road. It read 43 psi.

After coming home from work today, I parked the car in the garage. Six hours later, I decided to let some air out of the tires. I first used the tire gauge (a nice dial style high quality gauge) and each tire read exactly 37 psi - even though the car TPMS said 43. So I aired down each tire to 32 psi using the tire gauge but the car registered 40 psi per tire.

Anyone else have issues like this with the dash board TPMS psi readings compared to their tire gauge?

Any advice on how you all would reccomend I set my tire pressure? Would you use the gauge or the TPMS?
My car was delivered with 51 PSI for some reason and rode like a buckboard, so I changed the pressure to 37 PSI, cold, as recommended and checked that in each tire with two different gauges and the TPMS. All three readings were identical.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

I would first check with another gauge to be sure the "fault" readings are caused by the TPMS and not the gauge. That should be easy to do.

I also have a high quality gauge, and my TPMS shows the same result as the cauge.

If your TPMS is fault, it can't be the sensors, as they all show the same faulty readings. Then it has to be something else in the TPMS that causes the (same) fault readings (sentral system calibration problem?).

Or it is the gauge you are using that is not correct...

Old 08-07-2018, 08:30 AM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
My car was delivered with 51 PSI for some reason and rode like a buckboard, so I changed the pressure to 37 PSI, cold, as recommended and checked that in each tire with two different gauges and the TPMS. All three readings were identical.
My XJL R was delivered the same way. It's a dealer screw up in pre delivery setup. The car ships that way to prevent tire flat spots, the dealer is to drop the pressure during car preparation. We were in the same boat LOL. The ride home was horrible!

Old 08-12-2018, 12:21 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by FType17
My XJL R was delivered the same way. It's a dealer screw up in pre delivery setup. The car ships that way to prevent tire flat spots, the dealer is to drop the pressure during car preparation. We were in the same boat LOL. The ride home was horrible!
I was on the forum for a month before I found out about this - checked mine, and my delivery tire pressures were in the 50s and uneven. Fixed a lot of my ride problems in ten minutes for free...

Wonder if this happened to Jeremy Clarkson??

Old 08-15-2018, 05:32 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Mine all match the tire gauge. I noticed on my X3, there is a calibration program that resets the monitor after you have adjusted the pressures to the correct pressure.