Sponsored by:

TPMS Sensors Purchasing

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts
Default TPMS Sensors Purchasing

Hello all,

My car is a base model equipped with the 18" Vela wheels. I may have a line on a set of 19" Propellers (wheels only, w/o TPMS sensors). I called my local Jaguar dealer and was quoted a price of approximately $600 for a set of 4 sensors.

In a quick internet search, I found what a vendor claims are OEM sensors for the F-Type for $142. They are listed as a FoMoCo part (Ford)--link below:

TPMS fits Jaguar F-Type Tire Pressure Sensors SET

Does anyone know if these are, in fact, the same OEM sensor sold by Jaguar and whether there are likely to be issues with these?

Last edited by Foosh; 09-17-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Personally, I don't think you'll have an issue, I've purchased sensors from www.tirerack.com before and they installed and performed like OEM.

Can't blame you on the decision to lose the Vela's either...I would not have been happy with them either.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (09-17-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Personally, I don't think you'll have an issue, I've purchased sensors from www.tirerack.com before and they installed and performed like OEM.

Can't blame you on the decision to lose the Vela's either...I would not have been happy with them either.
I received some pre-installed in wheels and tires from AmericasWheel.com. For the most part if they are the right frequency they'll work. Mine were $240 for the whole set.

Foosh (09-17-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks. I've also purchased after-market sensors for other cars with no issues, and it's usually a straight-forward process. However, there are different types of systems, some coded to a specific wheel position and some not. One link I read (pertaining to the XF) said each sensor has a unique code that has to be input into the Jag system, which would require a special tool. I was just wondering if anyone had first-hand experience on this with the F-Type.

I'm happy enough with the Velas. The 18-inchers fill the wheel well essentially the same as 19s and 20s, with the only difference being how much of the combo is tire sidewall as opposed to wheel. However, I like the cleaner look of the Propellers, and I'll probably put summer performance tires on those, and all seasons on the Velas for winter/pothole season.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:49 PM
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

A little off topic but I hate that my F Type R only shows the readout when the engine is not on.... twice in the past while driving my other cars- I felt there was a tire issue and was able to check the psi while driving. Both times my psi in one of the tires had dropped and I was able to immediately get to a tire shop/dealer. Both times if I could not have checked the car I would have had to pull over stop and get a readout or wait until I get home. I actually drive my cars very hard and check my psi's often while driving. Is there a fix around this?

Old 09-17-2014, 02:04 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by vic55
A little off topic but I hate that my F Type R only shows the readout when the engine is not on.... twice in the past while driving my other cars- I felt there was a tire issue and was able to check the psi while driving. Both times my psi in one of the tires had dropped and I was able to immediately get to a tire shop/dealer. Both times if I could not have checked the car I would have had to pull over stop and get a readout or wait until I get home. I actually drive my cars very hard and check my psi's often while driving. Is there a fix around this?
Agree that this is a dumb design decision. Even worse is checking the oil level. You have to drive the car for a while, turn it off, then wait 10 minutes before anything will show on the oil readout. Really???

Old 09-17-2014, 02:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,
If you need a set of original Jaguar sensors I can send some from the UK for $175 plus postage for a set of 4.
let me know.
thx

The following 2 users liked this post by arkmark:
Foosh (09-17-2014), Sparky H (03-26-2021)
Old 09-17-2014, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Wink

Originally Posted by another_geek
Agree that this is a dumb design decision. Even worse is checking the oil level. You have to drive the car for a while, turn it off, then wait 10 minutes before anything will show on the oil readout. Really???
How is that different than any other car ever built in the sense that you can't, or should I say, shouldn't check the oil level with the car running? Even with a dipstick the correct technique is to always have the engine at normal operating temp, and wait at least 10 minutes after engine shutdown for the oil to make it's way back down to the oil pan before checking the level. Otherwise, you run the risk of overfilling.

You can also check it anytime the engine has been sitting for awhile, you don't have to run it, and then wait 10 minutes.

The process amounts to the same thing on virtually every car ever built. By not giving anyone the opportunity to check oil levels at the wrong time, they've taken a step toward making it idiot-proof.

I don't understand the big deal about not having a TPMS read-out while driving down the road either, because it's not accurate with warm tires. The only real purpose of the TPMS is to alert you when the tires are dangerously low, which the F-Type system does just fine with the pop-up warning light. If this really bugs you, just check your tire pressures with a gauge every morning when your tires are cold, and that's the only way to get an accurate reading.

So back on topic, hopefully someone out there will have had first-hand experience with aftermarket TPMS sensors and the F-Type.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-17-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
How is that different than any other car ever built in the sense that you can't, or should I say, shouldn't check the oil level with the car running? Even with a dipstick the correct technique is to always have the engine at normal operating temp, and wait at least 10 minutes after engine shutdown for the oil to make it's way back down to the oil pan before checking the level. Otherwise, you run the risk of overfilling.

The process amounts to the same thing on virtually every car ever built. By not giving anyone the opportunity to check oil levels at the wrong time, they've taken a step toward making it idiot-proof.

I don't understand the big deal about not having a TPMS read-out while driving down the road either, because it's not accurate with warm tires. The only real purpose of the TPMS is to alert you when the tires are dangerously low, which the F-Type system does just fine with the pop-up warning light. If this really bugs you, just check your tire pressures with a gauge every morning when your tires are cold, and that's the only way to get an accurate reading.

So back on topic, hopefully someone out there will have had first-hand experience with aftermarket TPMS sensors and the F-Type.
As far as oil, my only gripe is that you can't check that the car has sufficient oil in it before starting it to run the car to then check it properly.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by another_geek
Yes. If you had a physical dipstick you would have to wait the same length of time before you got an accurate reading.

Plus, the handbook issues dire warnings on the topic of overfilling.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Torrid
As far as oil, my only gripe is that you can't check that the car has sufficient oil in it before starting it to run the car to then check it properly.
Yes you can. Just keep your foot off the brake, hit the start switch, and then go to the menu to check the level. I do it once or twice a week before starting my car in the morning.

If the last time the engine was started, it made it's way up to normal operating temp, and it's been idle since, the oil level in pan won't change. What you don't want to do is check it too soon after shutdown, or start it and let it run for a couple of minutes and then check it, but the system really won't let you do that, which is why it makes you wait AT LEAST 10 minutes after engine shutdown

Last edited by Foosh; 09-17-2014 at 02:52 PM.
DJS (09-17-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member

Each to their own, I suppose.

I'll be test fitting the Gyrodynes this weekend, but that's because I like the look of them rather than disliking the Velas.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:58 PM

Yes you can. Just keep your foot off the brake, hit the start switch, and then go to the menu to check the level. I do it once or twice a week before starting my car in the morning.

If the last time the engine was started, it made it's way up to normal operating temp, and it's been idle since, the oil level in pan won't change. What you don't want to do is check it too soon after shutdown, or start it and let it run for a couple of minutes and then check it, but the system really won't let you do that, which is why it makes you wait AT LEAST 10 minutes after engine shutdown
Ah, didn't know that. Good to know.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:48 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree--on a long road trip, it's good to know your tire pressure is at the right level, whenever you want to know.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by gotwish
I agree--on a long road trip, it's good to know your tire pressure is at the right level, whenever you want to know.
As has been noted several times in this thread, checking your tire pressure when the tires are warm (particularly on a long road trip) is NOT going to give you an accurate reading. You will get a warning if they are dangerously low and in need of attention.

Hot tire readings may give you a false sense of security, because in actuality, they may be under-inflated, but the hot tire pressure reading could incorrectly indicate that they are properly inflated. The only way to get an accurate tire reading is when the tires are cold and with a good tire gauge. TPMS sensors are not necessarily always accurate either.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:23 AM

As has been noted several times in this thread, checking your tire pressure when the tires are warm (particularly on a long road trip) is NOT going to give you an accurate reading. You will get a warning if they are dangerously low and in need of attention.

Hot tire readings may give you a false sense of security, because in actuality, they may be under-inflated, but the hot tire pressure reading could incorrectly indicate that they are properly inflated. The only way to get an accurate tire reading is when the tires are cold and with a good tire gauge. TPMS sensors are not necessarily always accurate either.
You missed my point- I am not foreign to proper (not the word accurate) measurement time of the psi in tires; its obviously cold psi measurement. But tires, warm or cold, should be a certain psi if one knows their car and general psi increases as the tire warms up. What I and a few others are saying is that while driving and the tires are warm, the psi may read higher but its still a tpms assessment and its accurate for that point in time. I push my cars very hard and if three read 39 psi while warm vs 36 psi when cold and the 4th reads 31- there is an issue. The warning may not go off because the margin has not been met and yes tpms is not a perfect or guaranteed measurement but I have checked my tpms on all my cars vs my shop gauges and its fine.

Sorry for jacking your thread too.

golfhero (09-21-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

Vic,

I didn't miss your point, but I think you're overly concerned about a rather trivial thing. I don't know how you keep your license and drive that hard on the street for the scenario you described to be an issue. Moreover, I'm not aware of any TPMS applications on any of the racing circuits, where "driving hard" is a real concept.

But, if it worries you that much, I certainly understand it is a problem for you. Reasonable people can reasonably differ, and I don't see the problem. I have high performance driving experience on the track and have also enjoyed reasonably spirited driving on the street in a large number of very high performance cars.

Regards,

Last edited by Foosh; 09-18-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:45 AM

Vic,

I didn't miss your point, but I think you're overly concerned about a rather trivial thing. I don't know how you keep your license and drive that hard on the street for the scenario you described to be an issue. Moreover, I'm not aware of any TPMS applications on any of the racing circuits, where "driving hard" is a real concept.

But, if it worries you that much, I certainly understand it is a problem for you. Reasonable people can reasonably differ, and I don't see the problem. I have high performance driving experience on the track and have also enjoyed reasonably spirited driving on the street in a large number of very high performance cars.

Regards,

Im glad you dont see it as a problem, good luck getting those tpms items.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

Im glad you dont see it as a problem, good luck getting those tpms items.
Probably just as well you have the TPMS to automatically warn you - while driving - that the pressure of one or more tyres is low. Otherwise you'd feel the compulsion to regularly stop and check the pressures with a hand held gauge.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Quick Reply: TPMS Sensors Purchasing