Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

track and autox insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 07:06 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Default track and autox insurance

Howdy,
Would those of you who track or autoX mind sharing their experience regarding insurance?
I'm about to sign up for autoX, but I'm waiting for my Allstate agent to round regarding autoX coverage. I've heard that extra insurance is only needed for a track, but I've also heard any timed event requires extra coverage.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

This is what I wrote previously:

"All of this leads to the inevitable question, what happens if you crash your car at the track, will your insurance cover? Fortunately, I do not have first hand experience so I cannot definitely answer. From all my research, the short answer is "maybe". If you are being timed or racing, the answer is a definitve no. But HPDE is a driving, educational school so your insurance may cover damages.

However, insurance carriers have started adding exclusions for track related activities, even if it's not for competitive racing. When I did my first HPDE event years and years ago I was driving an old 1994 RX-7. It was paid for and I could deal with a total lost. These days I'm making monthly payments on my car so can't afford a big wreck, rolling the dice with insurance coverage. Luckily there are companies like Lockton and OnTrackInsurance offering HPDE insurance. There are others but I mention these two because people have made claims against them and have been paid. HPDE insurance is not cheap but is worth the peace of mind."

Autocross is almost always timed, so I would be very, very, very surprised if your agent says you are covered. BTW, don't just believe your agent, see the actual policy...agents get it wrong all the time.

That said, autocross is very, very, very safe. IF (big if) the course is well lay out (not near any barriers, light poles, etc.) then the risk is very, very small. When I do an autocross I don't get extra insurance. When I do track event I get insurance.

But I only autocross at very large, wide open places like alameda and crows canyon. Some parking lot autocrosses are too close for comfort for me...

Old 03-31-2015, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

+1

I agree with all of the above. I did auto-x in my Lotus in SCCA-sanctioned events only. The courses were always very safe and free of obstacles, and I didn't add extra insurance. Other than cone scuffs, which as they say, "buff right out," there's very little chance of damage even if you spin in a properly designed event.

The track is an entirely different matter, and I rarely used my own car for that, but only then in non-timed open-track sessions. I prefer HPDE schools and using their cars, where insurance is included.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by hardwired
Howdy,
Would those of you who track or autoX mind sharing their experience regarding insurance?
I'm about to sign up for autoX, but I'm waiting for my Allstate agent to round regarding autoX coverage. I've heard that extra insurance is only needed for a track, but I've also heard any timed event requires extra coverage.
Typically any timed event (autox / drag strip) or track event is not covered by your standard insurance policy. Obviously competition events are not covered.

You can get coverage via companies like Lockton (link below), but they typically only cover "accident damage". If you blow an engine or transmission, that's on you. In general, don't track it if you can't afford to fix it.

Lockton Motorsports | Home

Old 04-01-2015, 09:43 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Typically any timed event (autox / drag strip) or track event is not covered by your standard insurance policy. Obviously competition events are not covered.

You can get coverage via companies like Lockton (link below), but they typically only cover "accident damage". If you blow an engine or transmission, that's on you. In general, don't track it if you can't afford to fix it.

Lockton Motorsports | Home
Check out "The Driver's Edge" website. They *teach* autocrossing and have an explanation about insurance with an instructor for teaching in the car.
Not sure that any insurance company would cover their explanation but it's worth asking.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by allenman85
Check out "The Driver's Edge" website. They *teach* autocrossing and have an explanation about insurance with an instructor for teaching in the car.

Not sure that any insurance company would cover their explanation but it's worth asking.
That used to be a clause in the past with most insurance companies (i.e. if you had an instructor in the car, it was covered). Too much 'abuse' of that policy has pulled it.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:51 PM
Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Be careful when inquiring. Some insurance companies have been known to drop people just for asking about track coverage...

Old 04-03-2015, 04:57 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for your advice and warnings!
My agent said that is covered. If something happens on the course I'll at least be able to argue that I was told I was covered.
I also signed up for a "fun run" as further precaution and a secondary argument that I wasn't racing. Sadly, I got waitlisted for the event I wanted, so it may be a while before I get to auto x

Old 04-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Pretty much all of the standard insurance policies here doe under state that you are not covered for any timed or competitive activities.

You can get track day insurance but it is expensive.